Wacky rig

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Wacky rig

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Mon 07, 2021 6:27 am

Just wondering what size hooks you are using I'm new to fishing with this setup i was using it over the weekend and had 6 fish on and lost 4 was thinking that the No 2 Hooks were to small any suggestions
Kids that hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Re: Wacky rig

Postby matt_ski » Jun Mon 07, 2021 6:41 am

1- 2/0 finesse wide gap from gamakatsu
I also recommend using shrink tubing. This will help you senkos survive longer.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Jun Mon 07, 2021 8:20 am

I use various size hooks. Also another alternative to “o” rings or shrink tubing is small rubber bands. I bought a pack of rubber bands that would be used for a small child’s braids at Walgreens a few years ago and still have not run out. Wrap em around a few times and put your hook in there.

Check out Gary Yamamoto videos on YouTube. He is the Senko guru. Videos are a bit dated but still good advice.

https://youtu.be/iPMZTt05sWI
^^^^^ here’s one for ya
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 07, 2021 9:05 am

I use 'o' rings you can buy at a hardware store.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Mon 07, 2021 10:50 am

Ok thanks guys
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Mon 07, 2021 11:04 am

#2 Gamagatsu octopus circle hooks ,(for 4 or 5 inch stickbaits) all day long for me. No need to even set a hook. Just start reeling and sweep the rod to the side when it loads up. I'm not a fan of the O ring or shrink wraps. Over the years, and thousands of bass landed in my boats on Dingers or Senkos, the presentation of a #2 hook, light braid, fluro leader, and No extra components has outfished all other setups by a very wide margin. Yes, you will go through many more baits, but you will also get more bites, and ultimately more fish.

My technique though is suited for clear Wisconsin lakes. I want the bait to fall as slow as possible, with the tips of the bait emitting the most natural quiver, on a near invisible setup. On rivers I think you could get away with bumping up a hook size and going with straight braid and still contact a bunch of fish. Every situation is a bit different. Many don't often consider fall rates of baits either. The Yum Dinger has a much slower fall then a senko. For instance, in spring when there is light wind and I am fishing in 4 feet or less the dinger will outproduce a senko by a wide margin. The slower fall keeps the bait out of the weeds and available for fish to see longer. Come post spawn when the fish move out to 5-8 feet for a few weeks the senko is a much better choice because the dinger will take forever to get in the strike zone. Finally in Summer, when fishing bass on the deep weedline (10 foot plus) a standard wacky rig is impractical. They make weighted wacky hooks that still drop the bait slow that are perfect for the situation. The biggest mistake I often see on my boat is other anglers wanting to fish the exact same setup year round. It would be nice if it worked that way, but to maximize success the presentation not only has to be adjusted during different seasons, but sometimes even throught the course of a day as weather conditions change.

As you can see I love talking wacky fishing. I could write a bunch more on bait size, but I gotta get back to work, lol.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Mon 07, 2021 12:10 pm

I really appreciate all of the information
Thank you vary much I will take your advice and try it on the river hopefully this weekend
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby jonny2can » Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:43 pm

I wouldn't wacky rig on the river unless you plan on losing all your hooks. Wacky rigging is better for deeper ponds and lakes.
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby matt_ski » Jun Mon 07, 2021 1:53 pm

jonny2can wrote:I wouldn't wacky rig on the river unless you plan on losing all your hooks. Wacky rigging is better for deeper ponds and lakes.

Really?
I wacky rig on rivers all the time. I barely fish still water at all and wacky rig is always tied on one of my rods. I rarely loose any. And yes the rivers are very rocky.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Tue 08, 2021 8:46 pm

#1 Neko hooks. VMC or Trokar are good options. I used to use "wacky" hooks from owner and other brands but Neko hooks are so much better. easier hookset and less gut hooking. I don't think I've had one gut hooked fish since switching to Neko hooks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Wed 09, 2021 5:37 am

That's a really nice Bass thanks
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Return to Tackle & Gear