Question about wading boots

Discussion for all things tackle and gear. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.

Question about wading boots

Postby badger75 » Jun Mon 21, 2021 8:28 am

Just bought a new pair of breathable waders. They have stocking feet.
My old pair of waders are neoprene with boot foot.

My question: As I am a junior member of AACB (no one can top Rambler and he is older :mrgreen: ), I am wondering about the choice of footwear. I tried to put on an old pair of sneakers - would not fit due to the thickness of the "stocking foot". So it looks like a pair of wading boots is needed. Suggestions on brand, type, size? I normally wear a size 11 or 11.5 with a wide (E) width. One size up or two?

Lug vs felt? I am normally in the Fox with chunk rock. i do well with the old waders with lug sole, so I lean that way.

Thanks in advance.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Re: Question about wading boots

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Mon 21, 2021 9:30 am

I have size 11 wide feet too and bought size 12 in the Cabelas brand (pre-BPS merger). Not sure if they are still the same or not since BPS discontinued a lot of cabelas clothing. Korkers were too narrow for me. I'd go into the store and try them on if possible.

Edit: they look the same as mine
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... ts-for-men
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Jun Mon 21, 2021 10:37 pm

My shoe size is 11-11.5(normal width), & #12 korkers worked fine for me. If they fit well, Id recommend the korkers. I bought their cheapest pair a few years back & thought they were the best boots Ive had. Nice thing, too, is the ability to choose between felt or lug with the interchangeable soles included w/boots.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Fri 25, 2021 11:00 pm

If you are walking far get light boots that drain well. If you are short walks then get in the river and rocky felt okay. Any mud hiking, snow, etc get lugged. I'm an idiot I have 5 pair of boots I use in different seasons and conditions. Some I have screws in lugs so I don't have felts anymore. Ignore when they say light or ultralight. You can pick them up to check weight or on-line they often state the weight. If you are only wading fox in summer check out soft science wading boots. Super light, dry fast. Great rock grip. They are less supportive so if you are on a heavy side I don't recommend.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Tackle & Gear