Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Salt Creek Southside Fishing?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  badger75 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Me, the wife, the kiddies and some friends went to see the zoo lights last night at bookfield. Along the way we cross the "Salt Creek" 3 times...once on wolf road and twice on 31st. It looked really picturesque from the couple of brief glances I got...more like a river than a creek. I remember several people here mentioning it in connection with Busse, so I was really confused, considering I was nowhere near Busse. I did some internet poking-around about Salt Creek, which was pretty interesting. Anyway, I'm curious if any of you have ever fished the more south-ish parts of Salt Creek, like those near Brookfield, Bemis Woods, LaGrange woods, Cermak Woods, etc? If so, any tips on locations, results, etc?

Thx all,

-bartmandude

#3 ·
Thanks prince. I have seen Andrew post about Salt Creek, and figured he might be a good source for info, but wasn't sure if he was that far south. Andrew, any info or advice is appreciated. Let me know if you prefer to discuss privately.

My curiosity is peaked mostly by how pretty it looked, and how close it is to me. I love river fishing, probably more than any other type. I fish for smallmouth on the Paint River in the Upper Penninsula of MI during my vacations, and its as close to a religious experience as I think I'll ever get. I had been researching the Kankikee, hoping to find something even remotely similar around Chicago. That looks beautiful, but Salt Creek is so much closer, which might afford a bit more frequency since time is so precious these days.

As always, thanks,

-bartmandude

#4 ·
Prince, last time I checked, I don't have an agent nor a publicist... Thanks though.

Bartman, all I can say is get a set of waders, find some access wherever it may be, and go exploring - you're already on the right track. I'm not saying this in the way of pissing you off, along the lines of "hey, this is my turf, you ain't getting in on it!". But if you want to have any success here, then doing what is mentioned above is the way to go. Probably the best way to go.

I fish all over mainly from Wood Dale all the way down to where the creek dumps into the river. It's a good 10-20 mile stretch of water.

Some spots are nice and somewhat remote while others are kind of trashy and beneath busy streets, near ugly parking lots and next to buildings and establishments. Some days the fish will be in the areas, and other days the spots will be dead - because of this, there's really no exact point in giving out info to direct spots - plus the fish migrate in and out of the creek at any given time.

Majority of the water here is shallow and less than 2-3ft, but if you find your deeper stretches, the fish will hold consistently throughout the year. It's not a guarantee, but spring-summer-fall it holds true.

Match the hatch, go simple, and you can catch anything from here.

I've caught everything besides Muskies in here which is a cool thing. Now if you're interested in Smallmouth Bass which for some reason lots of people think this place is great for, then forget about it - I'll be honest, you're wasting your time. :lol:

I hope this helps and leads you towards the right direction.

Put in the time and the good stuff will come.

#5 ·
Sounds like the perfect advice. Sometimes the best way to get on some fish in a new river/creek is to go exploring and waders certainly help the cause.

Bartman, when I discovered Busse Lake many years ago, and subsequently Salt Creek, I did a lot of research on it and it seems there are indeed a lot of great fishing opportunities throughout the creek. The only reason I don't fish Salt Creek more in the southwest burbs is simply because it's not my neck of the woods. But i'll really look forward to hearing some of your reports as you explore in the future.

#6 ·
Thanks Andrew for the advice. I'm definitely not looking for the "keys to the castle", or the latitude/longitude of your honey-holes. I'd be guarded with those secrets myself if I had them. It sounds like you've been through the area I'm talking about, and that's encouraging

I suppose I'll have to sneak out on a weekend to the forest preserves and do some recon to find entry points. I'm not surprised to hear there's no abundance of smallmouth. In my research I had read that Salt Creek has somewhat of a history of polution, and from what I've read smallmouth are pretty sensitive to dirty water.

Thanks Jason for the followup as well. I don't see myself getting in the water during these cold times (just call me Sally), but hopefully I'll be able to make time in the spring.

-bartmandude

#7 ·
bartmandude said:
I suppose I'll have to sneak out on a weekend to the forest preserves and do some recon to find entry points. I'm not surprised to hear there's no abundance of smallmouth. In my research I had read that Salt Creek has somewhat of a history of polution, and from what I've read smallmouth are pretty sensitive to dirty water.
Definitely.

Visit this link and you should learn a lot about this place and what you can expect - www.saltcreekwatershed.org

I have a few writings in there which I gave them last year but I don't even know if they're still posted. They seriously need to get that site re-designed... I've offered but they haven't taken it. :lol:

#8 ·
Salt Creek / Des Plaines River, Riverside, IL

I go out fishing near Ogden and First Avenue where Salt Creeks meets Des Plaines. I like the area because easy to park. However I do not think the river is more than a foot if not during or after rain. I have never caught anything though I try. Usually I will then go to the Riverside Library (I think called Swan Pond). I always have luck. Caught a few pass and a northern during Covid period.

I'm learning fishing as an old guy so any tips are helpful.

Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.