Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Good day for a paddle lesson

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  HEDDONFROG 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My friend asked me if I could teach her to fish as she has been watching the show Alone and wants to be more self reliant. She also wanted to learn to kayak...so naturally combining the two made most sense. Since I still have my old Ascend yak it made it easy for me to get her on the water on the cheap. We got out on a lake I like to get out on from time to time but I have been skunked here plenty so in hindsight it was probably not a "guarantee" lake to take a beginner to and get them on a fish. Anyway, weather was nice on Saturday and the wind wasn't too bad when we launched. That quickly changed as it became a bit of a challenge to stay on any spot for more than a cast before being swept off swiftly. I didn't want to have her mess with an anchor so we made the best of it with strategic drifts along the shorelines using the wind to our advantage. I managed to catch a dink to show her I can catch a fish and then she had one on, but it came unbuttoned in the weeds. As I was chatting and not paying attention to my retrieve my swimbait gets smashed by something a little bigger. Ended up being a hog and well over my previous Pb for the body of water. I didn't get a weight or measure but I'm hoping 20"? As we fished on she connected with 3 more fish but they all came unhooked. She was having a tough time with the hook set and keeping tension on the fish the whole time. She had a blast and I think she was on the right track connecting with more takers than I did! Definitely will be getting out there with her again.

20190907_125636~2.jpg

20190907_131056~2.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.