Chicago Fishing Forum banner

9-10 9-11 Day & Night with Woo & Urb

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jmdog2003 
#1 ·
I'm brain dead trying to piece this post together, either that or I fried my brain from fishing too long in this heat. Imagine 13hrs pretty much non-stop fishing in this heat and you'll understand lol. I do know it felt good to get back on the lake after a near month absence

Due to schedules Woo and I had the day shift from 1-8 and Urbanhog was joining us after he got off work and would join me for the night shift. We did have a couple hours cross over and Ryan & Tom got to meet and fish together for the first time. Fishing brotherhood is really what it's about on these outings...just kidding. It's all about the fish ;)

The fishing was literally day & night different. Woo and I threw quite a few different baits at them to try and get bites during the day. Jigs, swim jigs, bladed jigs, Neko rigs, the Neko-Ned, A-rigs, glide baits and probably some others I'm forgetting. Most of my fish came on a simple jig-n-craw but a few came on a Jack Hammer. Woo caught his on a jig, chatterbait, Neko and got his first big glide bait fish. Three of them I think. Later he caught one on a pencil popper AND!! Caught his new PB Pike on a Jack Hammer. A beautiful 34 incher. Blew his old record away by almost 6" Once Tom joined us he started throwing a TR-Senko and caught a couple of fatties on that.

We headed back to drop Woo off and switch our gear over for night fishing. Basically just cut off flouro and mono leaders and tie on the heavy wire. I set Tom up with a 3/8 & 1/2oz Jack Hammers to go along with his 3/4oz Project Z. I rigged up 4 rods with the same weights in Jack Hammers and 1 additional 1oz Picasso Shock blade. 3 moving and 1 bottom contact. Those are all the baits we started with and all that we needed because it wasn't 2 minutes after we launched that we started catching fish and it didn't stop until I left at 2:30am

Lots of nice healthy fish but no giants. One highlight was Tom caught a super thick 13-7/8" 1-1/2lb crappie on a 1/2oz Jack Hammer. I've seen crappies with thick shoulders but not one that I'd consider a football but his was. I also added two 30" Pike to the days tally. 30" pike are always a nice bonus. Overall, other than the heat and humidity, it was a good day and great night.

Water temps were between 73 and 76. Felt cool to the touch and I would have swore we were touching high 60's temps but the gauge don't lie.

Woo, Urb, feel free to add details because I know I'm forgetting something lol

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That was the first time I've endeavored with 4 totally different setups and caught on all 4. Then when we stopped and you said something about topwater I said ehhh eff it and grabbed that rod and went 5/5 for techniques. That ONE topwater fish was such an underrated strike.

We each hooked into fish trolling the glides but alas, lost both. Mine felt friggin GOOD. Wish I could have gotten eyes on it.

That pike was great. Now I understand why the DPR guys love these things. Great fight and totally unexpected coming a couple feet from shore.

It was definitely a little bit of a struggle out there. That night we went out with Dale it was non stop. This time, we had several lulls before we'd find a school of em. Speaking of, several catches ended up having chasers all the way up to the boat. There never really seemed to be a concrete pattern as we switched it up several times in different spots, but we did catch some in almost every spot we hit.

PB aside, Urb had catch of the day on the unpictured bluegill. I won't even mention the dimensions :lol:

Thank you for another great outing. Huge learning experience for me. And it was awesome to finally meet you Urb.

#6 ·
great to meet the woo! i had a blast watching you winch that big pike in. per usual, heddon put on a clinic once the sun went down. an errant boat flip likely cost me my nicest largemouth of the outing. oh well 8)

it's always a satisfying feeling to hang with some stand-up dudes that are passionate about rippin' lips.

i believe it was almost midnight when i loaded my gear back into my truck. the only thing i had on my mind was the next slaughter fest that was about to ensue at taco bell. i said my farewells to heddon as he headed back to shore, arms fully occupied by a plethora of fishing rods and tackle. "good luck!", i barked at him as he made his way down the path. to the fishing gods he replied "yah, yah. just looking for that one. just that one beast."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.