Shab - what are you throwing this time of year

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

Shab - what are you throwing this time of year

Postby billebob5 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello
Just a curious question. As I'm tying up rods for an outing tomorrow I'm left wondering what you guys would throw this time of year for a multi-species outing at good old Shabbona?

I'll bite first - I have two/three set ups for live bait. Two slip bobbers and one leadhead that I'll probably use for walleye (the slips for Crappie, primarily).

I'll have a rod rigged with a husky jerk.
I'll have a rod rigged with a shad rap or similar body bait.
I'll have a rod with a chatter.
I'll likely have a rod with a swim bait, more than likely a Keitech 4".

What am I missing?

Keeping in mind tomorrow will be 55 degrees and probably windy/overcast.

I'm thinking about Rattle Traps, squarebills, Mepps #4 or 5.

Anything else?
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Re: Shab - what are you throwing this time of year

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Wed 16, 2019 4:00 pm

I've been crushing bass with a loud yellow square bill crank. With a fast retrieve too. All that while water temps have fallen fast. Water is getting more stained as the weeds die off. Give it a shot. You might have a good day.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Interesting. Was thinking orange or black. Or shad color. Yellow would have been my last guess.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Wed 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Yea I don't know why I emphasized the color on that comment.
I honestly am not a huge believer in color making the difference. But if water is really stained I can see dark colors helping a tad.

So I caught around 30 bass on Monday, water temps 58-60. It was absolutely bonkers. A few back to back cast catches. A lot of fish 14-15inches. Caught 4 over 18". A 20" and 21" were highlights. 21" was my biggest bass ever probably. That fish was pushing 6lbs. I didnt have a scale but I had a bump board. I'll get all the pictures together and post an October report as we get close to the end of the month. I think I've targeted bass 4 times in the last 2 weeks and it's been my best bite since the spring, far exceeding all my summer bass outings.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Very nice
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Oct Wed 16, 2019 10:02 pm

The kitchen sink!
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 10:03 pm

mike son wrote:The kitchen sink!

dats the plan
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Oct Wed 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Spinnerbaits, chatterbait, squarebill if its windy, anything windblown. There were not a lot of weeds relatively speaking imo over the summer so maybe try to find green weeds. You can try to find the shad with electronics and maybe run into multispecies. I'd also fish shallow expecting the bass to move up. Not sure what kinda of clarity they have now but I cant imagine it's great. I'd fish white or black, loud and fast. Maybe pitch black jigs or plastics at wood in the nmz. I fish bass fwiw. Good luck and I'd like to hear how you do out there.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Oct Wed 16, 2019 10:50 pm

planning on starting out for craps or eyes on structure and then depending on the day move into the trees or nmz and cast for whatever hits. we'll see. I need to launch the boat solo for the first time so let's hope I don't sink it.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Thu 17, 2019 1:24 am

Everyone else has covered what I’d throw and Mike fishes there a lot so all I can say is good luck and hope you have a good time
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Thu 17, 2019 7:40 am

Jesus Aux, you pullin those numbers on the river?
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Thu 17, 2019 8:38 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:Jesus Aux, you pullin those numbers on the river?

Yea, flooded portions of DPR lake, Lake Osprey backwaters of the river. My last outing I had my son come with because I knew he would be able to reel a few dink bass in. We ended up having my best day all year, quality wise.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Oct Thu 17, 2019 9:34 pm

I’m man enough to admit defeat. Not one fish. I have a love hate relationship with shab. I hate it so much I might go back tomorrow. Marked So God Damn Many fish. Could not get any to commit. Chased bass and musky busting shad. Nope. Battled birds nests all morning. BEAUTIFUL day out there. I’m torn between going to da chain and going back to Shab. Hour vs 90 minutes either day. Might test my luck on channel or Marie. Decisions, decisions
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Oct Thu 17, 2019 10:49 pm

billebob5 wrote:planning on starting out for craps or eyes on structure and then depending on the day move into the trees or nmz and cast for whatever hits.

billebob5 wrote:Marked So God Damn Many fish. Could not get any to commit.

My suggestion:
20191017_220839-1.jpg

A 3" or 4" on an 1/8 head on a light spinning setup. Can bump it up to 1/4oz in deeper water or strong wind/current. Brand of plastic & specific color isnt critical, IMO. Let it swim along the bottom (or structure) on a semi-slack line& set the hook on the slightest tick!

Not sexy, but when bites become difficult to get this simple presentation quite often gets the ball rolling for me, particularly when "multi-species'ing".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Oct Thu 17, 2019 11:15 pm

I actually did something similar. 4 inch gulp. Nada. It’s just a tough fishery and I’ll admit I’m not that good either. Lol. It’s ok. Better than being behind a desk all day. Oh, and good bourbon makes one forget a bad day fishing expeditiously.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Oct Fri 18, 2019 6:03 am

Shabbona sucks 2019 edition! Ha, that's too bad. The chief's curse strikes again. Good luck wherever you head to today.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Oct Fri 18, 2019 8:30 am

300 acre lake with 17000000 boats per season, plus shore fishermen all year long and ice fishing in the winter. No pressure there! Are any of us really surprised the bite can be almost non existent at Shabb on occasion? lol

I haven't been to Shabb in a few years, as it seemed there were more frustrating times than not for the lack of bite. Plus there seemed to be an increasing number of idiots in rental boats that were just plain rude and obnoxious. Oh well.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Waters