A couple more

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

A couple more

Postby joetrain » Nov Tue 05, 2019 4:42 pm

I fished the last three days. Took a skunk yesterday, got on some white bass the day before and caught another blue cat today. I had 2 other cats on but I lost them.

The white bass have me stumped. I can find huge schools of shad and can see fish underneath them but can hardly ever hook up. The only thing I haven’t tried is vertical jigging. That will be my next plan of attack. Any suggestions on lures? I’m thinking some type of spoon , jigging Rapala or maybe a Heddon Sonar.

~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A couple more

Postby billebob5 » Nov Tue 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Kastmaster, larger ice fishing jigging spoons like a pimple or something might work too.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Dr. Utssab » Nov Tue 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Vertical jigging is a very underutilized and effective method for many species. Not great for searching, but if you’re marking fish give it a shot. No better way to have proper depth control for suspended fish.
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Wed 06, 2019 3:24 am

I've always had best luck with quicker retrieves when it came to white bass. Micro spinners or even up to a mepps #2. I'm sure a small kastmaster or blade bait would replicate that technique. Also did well with mini-tubes and crappie sliders for deeper pockets.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Nov Thu 07, 2019 5:40 am

Yea agree.. try a mepps.. had good luck with the reddish aglia-e I think it's called
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby cletedius » Nov Thu 07, 2019 10:50 am

Nice fishes, joe.

Good bait for chasing screen marks
https://binkspoons.com/products/binks-pro-series-spoon

My all-time, #1 producer of white bass is a simple bucktail streamer tied on a #6 or #4 aberdeen hook & fished on a 3-way, or a wolf river rig.
daf45db7-9cf6-43a2-bb4c-df57f66e2849_zps7bb45238.jpg

You mentioned in a recent post about tying jigs, this streamer is an incredibly simple tie & wildly effective with a good presentation.

Instead of using a sinker for a dropper weight, try a 1/4oz jighead w/ a 3" twister tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Nov Thu 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Update: got out today armed with jigging paraphernalia. Took me a while to find some bait schools but when I did I jigged and jigged. No fish. After about an hour I got bored and decided to troll across the lake. I casted out a Heddon Sonar and a Wiggle Wart and caught a good sized white perch on the Wart and a 1+ LB bass on the Sonar. Both fish were out over 18-20 feet of water.

Cletidius thanks for that tip on the streamers I’m sending you a pm.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Waters