3 cats and a yak.

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

3 cats and a yak.

Postby joetrain » Nov Wed 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Since I bought my van 6 months ago I have been considering purchasing a Hobie Revolution 11. I love my Revolution 13 but when I transport it the yak is too long for the van and I have to leave the back doors open. Not a deal breaker but still would be nice to drive with my rear doors closed. So I have been looking half heartedly for a used one. My search had been unsuccessful till last week when my wife found one on marketplace. I called and it turns out that the seller is a dealer in Hilton Head SC. and he said the yak is actually new but since it is 2 years old they have to list it as used. The price was about 40% off a new model.

Last Friday we made the 5 hour drive down and to my surprise not only was it new it was still in the wrapper. Hobie will still honor the 2 year warranty and they are also sending me new fins and shifter levers for the drive. They made a design change to the 180 drive and are upgrading for free all the 2017 drives with the old style fins and levers.

Got her home on Saturday and I added some gear tracks and cam cleats and took her for the maiden voyage today. She is basically identical to the Rev 13 just a bit shorter. The cockpit is exactly the same so all my mods from my 13 transferred right over no problem.

No difference in stability or speed but she does turn on a tighter radius.

I met up with another yakker at Kerr Lake in Virginia. We each caught 3 blue cats. I got 2 drifting cut bait and one on a bucktail jig swimming it in 18ft of water.

It was a good day and the new boat was awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 3 cats and a yak.

Postby jonny2can » Nov Wed 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Nice.. convenient all the mods fit in perfectly. Definitly saves you time and possibly a headache.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Wed 20, 2019 6:29 pm

That water looks beautiful. Cats ain't so bad either.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Hard tugging cats :clap:

40% off :shock: What a deal, I think even skifish1 would even bite on a deal like that.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Hard tugging cats :clap:

40% off :shock: What a deal, I think even skifish1 would even bite on a deal like that.

^^^^ When my wife showed me the add I was skeptical of the price but I called. Then when I found out it was new that made me more skeptical. I called again on the morning I was driving down and the dealer confirmed that price.

I have to say after owning my original Hobie for 2+ years that they make a quality product and they stand by them. They recently replaced my spline on my original 180 drive. It was making some creaking noises and I reached out to Hobie about it. They replaced it free of charge even though it was out of warranty. Not a cheap part either. I think it retails for between 3 and 4 hundred dollars.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Nov Wed 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Nice cats and congrats on the new yak. That's a heck of deal
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Thu 21, 2019 5:33 am

So you got the model and color I wanted when I was considering buying a hobie. Light weight and narrow good for car lifting and moving upriver. Great price. The fact you can close doors on van is a game changer it enables you to keep yak in the van overnight and indefinitely more convenient

No way does it have the coolness factor like your kevlar canoe though,
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Nov Thu 21, 2019 8:44 am

Best wife ever!! Good stuff Joe! Have you done anything to the van?? I gotta make a trip down there soon with my camper!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Nov Thu 21, 2019 11:01 am

polishfly wrote:Best wife ever!! Good stuff Joe! Have you done anything to the van?? I gotta make a trip down there soon with my camper!

Have not done a thing except add a rod rack. Just haven’t had the time being retired and all.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Fri 22, 2019 1:09 am

Whoa, cool cats and killer Yak Joe. My ass still burns when I think about Bruce blowing the deal on that $300 Hobie tandem he came across and could have had for $280, ugh. So are you keeping both Hobie’s?
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:40 am

I’ll probably maybe sell my other one. Seeing that I have fished out of it over 600 times she is scratched up but I’ve never dragged it and the drive and rudder work great. I have to give it a good cleaning and who knows maybe I’ll keep it.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Waters