Sunset Beach

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

Sunset Beach

Postby joetrain » Nov Wed 27, 2019 7:22 am

I made my second excursion to the NC coast. Monday morning around 7 I launched my Hobie into the ICW in Sunset Beach which is just north of the border of NC and SC. The tide had just started to fall and it was amazing to see the amount of current that was generated. It was actually difficult to pedal against the flow.

After launching I headed into the almost endless little cuts that feed into the inter coastal waters. With all the current present I decided to fished it like river water. Looking for current seams, slack water, eddys, etc. I found a point where 2 flows converged and first cast had a swing and a miss. Few casts later I had a fish shake off. Stuck it out there for a bit but never got another bite.

Too much current to stay in position so I went to slow trolling. Caught my first fish which was a small trout. Keeper size but I let her go. That was it for a long while. I decided to fish my way back to the launch and hit my original spot again. Again first cast I hook up and land a nice 18 incher. Put her on the stringer and called it a day.

Tuesday morning I got on the water earlier than before but this time the tide was coming in. The current was way less and going the other direction. I headed right to my spot from the day before. No fish. Went back to trolling and the next 4 hours I landed 12 trout. 18-22 inchers. Kept my limit of 4. I had a number of good bumps and a few fish shake off. While I was out there the tide had switched from incoming to outgoing and with it came that crazy current. In the span of 4.5 hours the water dropped almost 6 feet.

Called it a day with my 4 fish limit , packed up and headed home. I learned a bunch on this trip that will help me in the future.
I might make another 2 day trip next week. My new Hobie has been in the water 4 times now. No issues and it has some good fish juju on it now.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Sunset Beach

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Wed 27, 2019 7:55 am

The ole reliable twister tail. Nice limit Joe, beauts.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Nov Wed 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Live long Mr. Twister
and your sister
Nice fish!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Thu 28, 2019 9:16 am

I'm struggling with this word trout. They need another name. How about speckled sea walleye
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Sun 01, 2019 5:09 am

Skifish1 wrote:I'm struggling with this word trout. They need another name. How about speckled sea walleye

I second the motion

Nice looking sea walleyes Joe. Are those tasty? They look like they would be.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Dec Sun 01, 2019 5:32 am

Yes, they are tasty. My dogs like them too.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Dec Sun 01, 2019 8:37 am

I'm so jealous. That sounds like a hoot.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Dec Tue 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Looks like your coastal explorations are paying off, nicely done.

How do you prepare sea trout? Had em blackened once & they were quite good.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Dec Tue 03, 2019 8:04 pm

cletedius wrote:Looks like your coastal explorations are paying off, nicely done.

How do you prepare sea trout? Had em blackened once & they were quite good.

My wife is the chef. She deep fry’s them and also bakes them. How she does it is beyond me.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Dec Tue 03, 2019 10:24 pm

I could use a sunset on the beach this time of year. Nice job nabbing some grub on the grub
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Fri 06, 2019 12:00 am

mike son wrote:I could use a sunset on the beach this time of year. Nice job nabbing some grub on the grub

I see what you did there :D
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Waters