Pike fest 2019 and a couple of bass

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

Pike fest 2019 and a couple of bass

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Wed 25, 2019 2:23 am

I’ll probably be fishing Thursday through Saturday so I thought I’d better get these 2 earlier December outings posted. The Pike fest happened on December 8th and it’s a good thing they were biting because the Bass sure as shit were not. We fished hard from 10 until 4:30 and what we found were the larger Pike were munching. We ended the day with probably 12 total pike, with Dave Chester catching his Pike best twice at 28”, John catching his best of 26” They caught all theirs on Jerkbaits. Once I figured out the bass bite wasn’t happening, I tied on a big glide bait and caught a nice 34”

The last 4 group outings in Plainfield have absolutely sucked for bass. We haven’t seen any of the 4” to 6” shad in their normal wintering areas and I mean none. Had to have been a big shad die off this year. We have seen schools of massive 16-20” shad in those areas, so there’s hope next year will have a new spawn of eater size shad. One awesome sight Mike and I saw were three monstrous Walleye slowly cruising around. They were so long, thick and broad that our brains processed them as being large carp, because I/we have never seen Walleye that large other than in photos. When they swam to within 8-10’ of us and buzzed the side of the boat, I immediately saw they were walleyes. Mike can tell you, I flipped out lol. At least 30” and 10lbs at a minimum. I actually think that’s conservative and...I want one! Btw the lake record from 30+yrs ago is 12+ :shock:

The next day I hit up a lake after work and I really thought it was going to be a killer day. It was the last warmish, windy, overcast-drizzly day before the deep freeze hit and froze everything up. If I had started earlier and hadn’t ran out of light I might have been a better day for but as it was I ended up with 4 between 16-18”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Pike fest 2019 and a couple of bass

Postby joetrain » Dec Wed 25, 2019 4:10 am

I like it. You will get one of those walleye no doubt. Maybe through the ice. Wouldn’t that be fun!
Merry Christmas brother.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Wed 25, 2019 9:06 am

Hell yea dudes! Slob mutant carp-walleyes. Funny you say because a buddy of mine caught a 9.8lb walleye a few years ago and when he was battling it I literally stopped watching because I thought it was a snagged carp, then he screamed walleye.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby JB » Dec Thu 26, 2019 10:39 am

Wow now that’s a collection worthy of any time of year let alone end of December!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Dec Thu 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Amazing December fish.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Waters