Clinton Lake

Talk about fishing and share information on Chicago area waters not listed on our forums.

Clinton Lake

Postby oldsalt » Dec Fri 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Thursday headed to Plainfield to do some river fishing, but for some reason kept on going south wound up at Clinton lake, no ice at all ,shore fishing in so many spots,crappie till your tired of catching them,fished in some sort of canal, walleye and white bass bite was great ,you could actually see them swimming around,cheap motel right there,boat launches all around the lake,the shore spots are open at night,if you got to get out head there.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Re: Clinton Lake

Postby joetrain » Dec Fri 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Could tell you are retired when you write “ for some reason kept on heading south.” Looks like you made a good call.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Dec Fri 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Yea its good Joe,got to plan better ,brought no food, water, beer. cigars ,no lanterns not enough gulps,not even a flashlight,no change of clothes,no boat that would help,no cast net, seen guys using them to get shad for bait,got one too,no hat and two left handed gloves i had ;had my sun glasses, but left them on shore ,motel was 45 dollars ,not bad, dog passed away last week so i can travel now. Those stripers you caught are something else.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Dec Fri 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Oh man sorry to hear about your dog. You had her really trained well. I’ll be in Chicago the first 3 weeks of January, I’ll send you a text maybe I can stop by.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Dec Fri 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Let me know when you get in i think i got some sonars ,i donit use them, will look around if i find them will let you know,so do not buy any yet
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Dec Fri 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Ok thanks Mike.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Sat 28, 2019 8:32 am

oldsalt wrote:but for some reason kept on going south wound up at Clinton lake.

I second Joe, I love this :lol:

Sounds like your intuition kicked in. Never heard of that lake might hafta check it out some time.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Sat 28, 2019 9:44 am

Damn, sounds interesting as hell...especially the night part :D Thanks for sharing
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 30, 2019 10:13 am

oldsalt wrote:fished in some sort of canal

Shore fished there years ago. Your results were much better than mine. Pretty sure that's the cooling outlet from the nuke station there. Like a huge WWD.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Dec Mon 30, 2019 11:37 am

Yea power plant fishing is different,but i love them,fished a lot them,what you got to do is,move and move ,checking water temp,wind,best in your face,watch the waterfpr the shad dimples,watch the gulls,if they are just sitting on the water,forget them,flying in circles ,watch for a while,but if that is all their doing forget them,when their diving at the water,those gulls are on shad.,look for current,running along a rip-rap,when you first get their look at that smokestack,s lot of smoke your going to have a good day All your lures should be shad color or pure white , a lot of my cranks,are ones the paint is off ,and i painted them gloss white ,a blade bait called the CICADA is a killer,cut bait shad or bluegill is great and not for just cats, but for the whites ,hybrids and the stripers ,we all look for the good looking spot when shore fishing,power plants doint bother its all those other things ,go lite, got to keep moving, back pack the best,walking rip rap,with a shoulder bag is good but if it is heavy,you lean to that side ,on those rocks you may go down Then july and august comes,and you donit even see a fish ,water temps get to high fish shut down go dorment,self protection mode.Winter fishing is great at these plants,it is the best when air temps are the lowest,the plant is pumping,watching the weather going try to get back up their this week
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Dec Mon 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I've caught both my biggest gar and biggest striper in the spillway in that lake. As for the warm water discharge, never had a boat before now so I never fished it. I always smashed the crappie along the 54 rip rap. Good times when I was a student at ISU.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 30, 2019 2:37 pm

I'd forgotten about that place. I think I stopped there on a business trip. There are a lot of good spots in the Bloomington area. The Mackinaw runs north of town & is reputed to be a good smallie stream. Stopped there & waded on another business trip & got skunked. Beautiful place though. Takes some driving on 'interesting' roads to get to the stream.

I think Clinton might be worth another visit in the spring. Maybe a combo fishing/camping trip.

PS - I fished Weldon Springs State Park on another trip. Not worth the effort.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Waters