Chicago Fishing Forum banner

First decent bass of 2021

911 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  minstrel 
#1 ·
Headed over to a local pond after work this evening. Except for one small bass at Beck in May, and couple of pond bluegill last week, this has been a very slow start to 2021 for me. Trips to Beck, and various trips to the DPR haven't yielded much of anything. I didn't have high expectations tonight but I wanted to try a Loon WP (90) I just picked up. Nothing on the WP and nothing on a spinnerbait. I Texas rigged a Zoom Grn Pumpkin red trick worm on my light rod and a Zoom salted "Bluegill" trick worm on the medium. I started out with the light rod, casting out parallel to shore and slowly bringing the worm back in. On about my third cast, maybe six feet from shore, I felt a light tap and a tug. I thought it was a snag or maybe even a bluegill nibbling at first but I pulled back and then the line went sideways as the bass tried to dive into some weeds. I had last used the rod for bluegill and forgot to tighten the drag. Felt like a decent size and I fought him and tightened the drag at the same time. He hit pretty close to shore and I finally brought him up the bank. I removed the hook and thought I had a good grip on his lip, but he suddenly thrashed and slipped out of my hand onto the grass. I used that opportunity to grab my tape measure. He was a shade over 17". Seemed pretty chunky and he was definitely one of the better sized bass I've caught in a while. A bass like that is a lot of fun on a light rod. I gently released him and made a few more casts along the bank, but I didn't get anymore hits. It was close to 8pm so I packed it in and headed home. It was a real nice sunset and for a quick after work fishing expedition I can't complain. I'm hoping this is the end of my slump and the beginning of tying into more fish.

Steve Gubin 17 in LMB by Steve, on Flickr

Largemouth Bass 6-15-21 by Steve, on Flickr

Zoom Grn Pumpkin Red Trick Worm by Steve, on Flickr

Pond sunset by Steve, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
Ahhh chunky!! 8)

Way to stay after it! I hit Beck yesterday with a triple but the largest was around 14" and I still feel like we should be seeing more in number/size wise this time of year. I guess every year we say it's an odd year at some point(s) but this one certainly does feel odd.

Speaking of odd we're once again going 75 to 95 in one day, I'm pushing myself to get out today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.