Trying times at Busse

Busse Lake - Elk Grove Village, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Trying times at Busse

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Meant to post this last week but things sort of got away from me.

Met my best friend at the launch on Monday afternoon. Before he got there and before I even had my canoe in the water I started throwing a 1/8 oz buzzbait. Caught a 7 incher on the 3rd or 4th cast. Thought it might be a good day.

Wrong again. We spent from 1:30 to 7:30 throwing buzzbaits, frogs, spinnerbaits, etc, etc. I had 5 or 6 hits - all on buzzbaits - and he got blanked. All of the ones I hooked dove into weeds and got off. I can't recall being so frustrated (at least at fishing). Had one final hit just before we headed in but like the others it got off in the weeds.

Well shit. Some days are like that. :roll:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Trying times at Busse

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Tue 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Throw some dark hard body ribbit type frogs or orange patched frogs it gives you option of being on surface or subsurface. Can use it like topwater or practically swim it like a swimbait
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Tue 27, 2019 3:08 pm

you've been fishing longer than i've been alive and know this already but setting the hook multiple times in a topwater setting really helps to keep them pinned. set hook, reel savagely, set hook again, reel savagely, etc.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Aug Tue 27, 2019 4:51 pm

That much weight/stuff in front of the hook and you're bound to get shook off now and then. I'd say I've lost more fish on spinner baits/buzzbaits than all other techniques combined over the years.

Also...losing 1 out of 20 fish never happens once after every 19th fish. Always seems to be you lose a bunch in quick succession then don't lose any for weeks...so at least it seems you have some good times to look forward to!
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Aug Tue 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Well, that's life - someone gets off and someone is left frustrated.
Grain
Game Fish

Return to Busse Lake