8/23/20 unexpected conditions

Busse Lake - Elk Grove Village, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

8/23/20 unexpected conditions

Postby Busse Jim » Aug Sun 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Busse Main lost a foot of water Thursday morn., and has yet to get it back! :wtf:
Reminds me of when it lost a foot in April a few months after the new dam modification was completed. I saw and heard clear evidence of a hydraulic failure of the new dam mod then. Not sure what happened this time. But one thing IS for certain, You can spot most of the hidden stumps in the main. Can’t be good for fish or fishin though.

No real storms in sight so no need to draw down, Terrible time to do it (if Intended). Failure again?
Guess the mains got a new bottom at 4-1/2 feet at the tunnels rather than the 6+ since the 80s. At least from time to time.
Kinda glad I’ve not been fishin it. :eh: Summer and now this.
Been a real weird year. :crazy:

The good thing is, the South and the North ain’t been effected, beside the temp and lack of rains.
And summer!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 8/23/20 unexpected conditions

Postby Busse Jim » Aug Tue 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Busse Jim wrote:No real storms in sight so no need to draw down,

Wow! An hour later I was proven so wrong!

Started a fillet on the grill Sunday evening in hot, humid, and cloudy weather and before the first searing turn, the skies opened up and dumped 2-3” of rain in 45 mins with strong enough gusts to take a dead 25’ long branch out of my old silver maple. Storm sat over my backyard like a bullseye and didn’t move for an hour.

So much for “no real storms in sight”. Two inches of water on my poorly drained patio. Had to put on my wading boots to finish the steak. Nice dent in the gutter and now I’ll have to cut my yard this weekend. :lol: :roll:

And busse was back to the new low level Mon evening.
Still think it was some kind of failure. Wonder what happened? This is the lowest the reservoir ever was since it was built, 4-1/2’ at the tunnels!, 1-1/2’lower than its original low level design.

Still not impressed with the "new" dam modification.

Some day i'll actually get out and fish, still got fall left.
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Thu 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Jim: Having just moved to wwithin spitting distance of Salt Creek, my wife & I took our dog for a morning walk on the bike path today.

Surprisingly the creek is way up. By contrast the DPR above the confluence is at close to normal levels. Seems like there's a dam problem.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Sep Thu 03, 2020 11:22 am

Rambler wrote:Jim: Having just moved to wwithin spitting distance of Salt Creek, my wife & I took our dog for a morning walk on the bike path today.

Surprisingly the creek is way up. By contrast the DPR above the confluence is at close to normal levels. Seems like there's a dam problem.

There's way too many "dam problems" these days. :wink:
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Sep Thu 03, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has contacted the appropriate authorities to find out if indeed there's been a problem with the main dam at Busse.

But overall the 'dam problem' has been too damned many dams for the past 1.5 centuries. My most favorite of them all is Glen Canyon dam that backs up Lake Powell. John Wesley Powell probably spun in his grave at 5,000 RPM when they buit that one.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Busse Lake