How many Musky?

Busse Lake - Elk Grove Village, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

How many Musky?

Postby monty » Jun Sun 16, 2019 9:18 am

I'm new to Busse, I fished last season for the first time. Still figuring the lakes out, but I have caught a ton of bass there.
My question is how many of you get Musky while fishing for bass? I was lucky enough to get there two times last week and had Musky run ins two times. First Musky hit a jig about 10 feet from the boat, had him on until he thrashed at the boat and bit me off. I would say it was about 40-42". I have caught hundreds of pike this size so I know what they look like. The second time was about 35" Musky that also hit a jig, it was the hardest freshwater fish strike I have ever felt, it also bit me off at the boat. It's making me want to fish for Muskies now. All of last season, and this season I had one bite off total from a smallish toothy fish up until this week. How many of you guys use leaders on the regular?
monty
Minnow

Re: How many Musky?

Postby joetrain » Jun Sun 16, 2019 10:03 am

All my musky catches have been in pursuit of other species. When I fish toothy water I use a leader. If you got bit off twice use a leader or really heavy braided line. I don’t think it will scare off any other fish and you won’t be leaving your lures in a fishes mouth.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:22 pm

One time is my answer for bass fishing and getting a musky. And actually, it was just an outing to make sure i respooled my reel good. Hot, sunny, and fishing topwater lol.

As for leaders, like Joe said since last year if I know I'm in toothy water I've adopted Heddonfrog's 6" 20 lb. Steel leaders. Theyre short enough that they're harder for a fish to see and won't interfere with the lure's action. You also don't need to make awkward casts that long leaders have you make.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 17, 2019 8:49 am

Haven't been using leaders at Busse this year. Guess I'm waiting to get bitten off.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Tue 18, 2019 10:54 am

Unless you are fishing super clear water and fishing slow the fish will ignore the leaders. They will key on medium and large kures, especially if they are bright and gaudy colors. I use leaders mainly unless I'm very sure that my fishing style and location means very unlikely tooth fish would bite. For the fishes welfare it's good to use leaders plus why miss a musky? You could catch bass all day at busse be but a Pike or musky is a more memorable day, don't want to miss them.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah, I'm with the others. I'd actually go so far as to consider it bordering on unethical to fish waters that you know have pike or musky, without a leader... I fish clearer water with leaders all the time and still get bit by bass.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby McChou » Jun Tue 18, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm not going to knock someone targeting one species and getting bit of by another ... but I will say that some of my biggest bass and walleye have come while musky fishing, so they are definitely NOT leader shy. (I also catch plenty of 10" bass on 10" baits, but it's more fun to talk about the big ones)
McChou
Pan Fish

Postby monty » Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Both of my bite offs were on 5/16oz finesse jigs, so I wasn't expecting to be tangling with a musky. My original question is how many musky/pike are in the lake?
A season and a half and I didn't get any bite offs, so I figured there weren't too many in there. Also I don't hear too much about people catching Pike at Busse.
monty
Minnow

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Thu 20, 2019 6:23 am

monty wrote:Both of my bite offs were on 5/16oz finesse jigs, so I wasn't expecting to be tangling with a musky. My original question is how many musky/pike are in the lake?
A season and a half and I didn't get any bite offs, so I figured there weren't too many in there. Also I don't hear too much about people catching Pike at Busse.

I heard a story last year, something I take with a grain of salt, that early last season they shocked below the dam. They recovered 36 musky, 3 over 40", and put them back over the dam. There's no way to tell how many are in there, but last year there were supposedly a good amount put back in the lake. Lucky for me, I caught my first and only ski under the dam 2 years ago :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 20, 2019 7:41 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I heard a story last year, something I take with a grain of salt, that early last season they shocked below the dam. They recovered 36 musky, 3 over 40", and put them back over the dam. There's no way to tell how many are in there, but last year there were supposedly a good amount put back in the lake. Lucky for me, I caught my first and only ski under the dam 2 years ago :lol:

Last month I ran into 2 "old farts" fishing Arlington pool. One of them told me he's caught 29 skis there already this year. No reason to doubt him although some of them were probably duplicates.

I say "old farts" because the guy who's caught all the skis told me, "I'm really old". I asked "how old?" He said, "52". I got a chuckle on that one. Told him I've got him beat by well over a decade. He said, "wow - you're REALLY old!". Indeed.

Heading out to Busse this PM for some canoe fishing. Thinking about using a leader...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Mr36inch » Jun Mon 24, 2019 12:36 pm

I know these guys they fish in the tent and chain smoke. Told me he caught 11 in one day. Also said that his 60.00 Walmart rod was a 600.00 piece of equipment. Also claimed that he caught state record sucker from that area. Guy is full of it I fish this area weekly and only one ski to my name. I’m sure if you had a boat though things would be easier. Me and my buddy laugh about him and he is well known.
Mr36inch
Minnow

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 24, 2019 5:47 pm

^^^ That's the guy. He's got a youtube channel. And are you saying a fisherman would lie? Hmm...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Busse Lake