Switch to full site
Busse Lake - Elk Grove Village, IL
Fishing Information & Reports
Forum rules
Post a reply

7/6/19 The "at least I didn’t get stuck" post

Jul Mon 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Summer time

Mostly cloudy to full sun, low 80s to low 70s, winds, constant NE NW 15-20 thru sunset.
Had noticed a vast area of the Bay, completely devoid of surface weeds the last few weeks as I pass by. Way more than the normal die back. Hadn’t been in there since May.

The entrance, well that’s just a wall of thick algae covered euro milfol for 400-500’ after the weed choked channel in :crazy: , didn’t even entertain the idea of the trolling motor and pulled out the oars. Oars get bogged down in the weeds half way thru. The last 100’ I had to lift them out of the oar locks almost every row to slide the 20+ lbs of weeds off. Or I just got pulled backwards trying to drag the oars to the front for the next stroke. But I got thru, twice

Found wide open low vis cloudy water pretty much the rest of the bay. Used a couple crank baits half the time, hardly even touching weeds, or fish. :roll: Though the curly leaf and euro milfol I did pull up looked green and healthy :-?
Shit usually forced to put even my -1 cranks away by early May in here.
Got to be a weed kill! :think:
But why couldn’t they hit the damn entrance?

Anyways, tough (normal) summer day of afternoon fishing. Lost one off a hidden stump in here because I had the rod pulled as far to the side reeling as I could go when it hit, and couldn’t set the hook enough. :roll:
Always keep the rod pointed at the lure!
Got the next one though, a 15” 1.7 lb bass off the next hidden stump.
IMG_5686[1].JPG

Got bored with no more bass and powered out (crawling) and trolled across the main to another spot and stuck a 12” cat on the way.
IMG_5687[1].JPG
Kept hoping the winds would lighten at least some for sunset, but no, they just shifted more northwest. :x Last spot gave up a little 12” bass.
IMG_5690[1].JPG

2 bass and a cat in 5 hours.
Ahh, Summer :roll:
IMG_5692[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 7/6/19 The "at least I didn’t get stuck" post

Jul Mon 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Yeah the boiling water and occasional quick temp drops can really slow things down in summer. But you got a work out and hoisted a few. Success in my book :thumbup:

Jul Mon 08, 2019 11:53 pm

At least we have a discernible season for the first time in months :wink:

If there's any of us that can still bring 'em in on a crap day it's you. :clap:

Jul Tue 09, 2019 6:09 am

Well played sir!

Jul Tue 09, 2019 7:53 am

Made it out of the wilderness alive and with bass to boot.
Post a reply