Switch to full site
Two of the best lakes in southern Wisconsin. Only a short cast away from Chicago.
Forum rules
Post a reply

Geneva, Wed

Jul Wed 18, 2018 5:31 pm

We hit Geneva today. What a great day to be on the water. Light breeze, little chop, perfect except the fish did not think so. Best we could do was a couple LGM, some rockies, and a whole bunch of blue gills. Some were pretty decent sizes. Best part about it, very few speed boats running around. Maybe next time. The worst part, my Merc had a beeping alarm, twice. Need to find out what the problem is.

Re: Geneva, Wed

Jul Wed 18, 2018 5:42 pm

ffishman wrote: my Merc had a beeping alarm, twice. Need to find out what the problem is.

Did you happen to notice if the motor was "peeing" normally?
Overheat alarm, would be my guess. I think some 2 strokes may have an alarm for oil-injection failure( if your lucky!), as well. Cant think of any other condition that triggers an audible alarm.

Might of had some weed or debris clogging the intake on the lower unit.
Possibly water pump & or impeller is ready to be replaced.

Jul Thu 19, 2018 7:17 am

Even with the engine fully warmed up, and the lake temp at 79 degrees, when I restarted it, it took a few seconds to start to pee again. Not sure this is normal or not. I thought an overheating beep was a constant beep, not a series of them.

Jul Thu 19, 2018 2:38 pm

ffishman wrote:Even with the engine fully warmed up, and the lake temp at 79 degrees, when I restarted it, it took a few seconds to start to pee again. I thought an overheating beep was a constant beep, not a series of them.

I always thought the same, but cant remember ever having a condition that triggers ANY audible alarm other than temp. Ill be curious to find out what it was. When was the last time the water pump impeller was changed?

Jul Thu 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Talked to a guy at the marina today. He said he thought of an oil problem. He said overheating alarms are a constant beep. Intermittent beep is usually an oil problem.

Jul Thu 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Makes sense.
I purposely had the oil injection system removed from my motor (1992 60hp evinrude 2stroke) & just relied on mixing the oil myself to not have to worry about cooking the powerhead due to oil pump failure which was rampant on the OMC's of that era. Kind of a pain to mix, but minor compared to powerhead seizure. This would explain why I have never heard the intermitten beep, either. Hope your fix is a minor 1. Good luck.

Jul Fri 20, 2018 4:17 pm

I always thought the same, but cant remember ever having a condition that triggers ANY audible alarm other than temp. Ill be curious to find out what it was. When was the last time the water pump impeller was changed?[/quote]

Impeller has 12 hours on it.
Post a reply