Lake Geneva Musky Stocking

Two of the best lakes in southern Wisconsin. Only a short cast away from Chicago.

Lake Geneva Musky Stocking

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Mon 14, 2019 7:50 am

Headed up to Fontana the other day to stock some fish with Muskies Inc. The truck arrived on time at 9am and all 950 fish were put in the water in 25mins or so. Most of the fish were around 10inches and were the Leech Lake Strain which is renowned for producing some very large fish. The first handful of stockings in the last few years at Geneva were of the Upper Chippewa and Upper Wisconsin variety, which is the state of Wisconsin's native strain.

My son got in on the action and released the first few nets of fish. There was also a very good read in the Saturday suntimes on the matter. That can also be read online:

Tracking the muskie experiment on Geneva Lake with another year of the Dean Rosset Stocking Program.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/10/12 ... eneva-lake

IMG_20191014_10641.jpg

IMG_20191014_47999.jpg

IMG_20191014_48445.jpg

IMG_20191014_56856.jpg

IMG_20191014_39673.jpg

IMG_20191014_353.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Lake Geneva Musky Stocking

Postby jmdog2003 » Oct Mon 14, 2019 8:02 am

That's freakin cool. That's really all that needs to be said.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Mon 14, 2019 8:22 am

Aux: I admire your dedication to the sport. Your post reminds me (what else is new?) of the time a buddy & I spent a couple days fishing Leech Lake. We were on our way to Glacier and up into Alberta. His mom owned a resort on Leech Lake so we stopped by on the way.

We got skunked. But one night we took a 6 pack down to the dock to watch the sunset. An old lady (probably 10 years younger than I am now) walked down with a musky rig & started casting. Pretty soon she hooked one. Took her a good 20 minutes to pull it in (she -the woman- wasn't very big). It was by far the biggest fish I'd ever seen caught on a rod & reel at that time. Totally blew me away. What blew me away even more was the locals giving her shit by saying, "that's a baby (it was probably 40") throw it back!" Hah!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Mon 14, 2019 9:17 am

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Does stocking this late in the year have any downsides? Musky do pretty well in the cold, is it intentionally done this late?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Mon 14, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks Rambler. I enjoy your old stories.

Phil6 wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing. Does stocking this late in the year have any downsides? Musky do pretty well in the cold, is it intentionally done this late?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with water temps. If I had to guess Geneva water temps were probably 60-65 degrees when we stocked them. They're probably raised in a similar temperature. Also depends on when they're hatched and when they're big enough for a better chance at survival.

Theres a good read on the History of the Musky written by Don Dubin. Hes a legendary hall of fame Chicago angler who started Salmon Unlimited and later helped create Muskies Inc. The piece talks about the struggles Illinois had in raising it's own muskies at first with just about most of the fish dying at the hatchery.

Funny story, I always ran into Don at the Salmon Swaps or at the Muskies Inc flea markets. Originally I just thought he was an old buzzard who liked fishing junk like me. He nudged me on the shoulder a couple months ago at our Muskie Hunters meeting in Glenview after hearing me tell another guy I fish for brown trout once in a while over the colder months. He said to me "you should join Salmon Unlimited". That's when I realized I've seen him at the Salmon Swaps as well. I replied, "You look very familiar, I recognize you from those Salmon Swaps."

Later that month there was a special on wttw channel 11 on a story about a Chicago angler who has been inducted into 3 different fishing hall of fames. And how the fishing community wants to use his vast fishing collection of antiques, fish mounts, and other memorabilia to start a Chicago Fishing Hall of Fame and museum. I shit you not, the story was on that old buzzard I've been running into all these years around the scene here in Chicagoland. Boy do I feel 'young and dumb' for not knowing who the great Don Dubin was all these years.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby coyote » Oct Mon 14, 2019 11:11 am

Thats great Aux, didnt know you were into Lake Geneva, i dont target them but we had 3 on this year , as you saw Bill earlier post with a nice one. Matt got one a couple years ago in the Fall . They just keep coming on. I will be up there this week for Smallies but maybe a little casting for Musky. Thanks for what you do and all the others too. Most dont get to fish Lake Geneva it is by far the most beautiful with just fantastic fishing for all varieties. I catch Walleye now when i target them and that never used to be. Thanks again
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ccorso » Oct Mon 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Very cool! It'll be interesting to see how the experiment plays out. I have a feeling the leech lake strain will do well there.
ccorso
Fishing Fanatic

Postby minstrel » Oct Mon 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Very very cool. Thanks for the post!

I spent many of my young summers out on Lake Geneva and just love the place, even if we only had pier access I guess it's part of my love now of shore fishing. We used to be at the dock sun up to sun down...
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Oct Thu 17, 2019 10:41 am

NICE!!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Thu 17, 2019 12:43 pm

Love it. They look so cool suspended nearby.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Oct Fri 18, 2019 8:33 am

Very cool, even though I can't see the pictures through the adverts for Chase. :roll:

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Oct Fri 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Sweet.. surprised they using a regular pickup truck.. did you stuff a few down your pants to bring back to the desplaines river ?haha
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Sat 19, 2019 7:17 am

jonny2can wrote:Sweet.. surprised they using a regular pickup truck.. did you stuff a few down your pants to bring back to the desplaines river ?haha

Was looking for a side deal, but the lady who drove the truck was not budging.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ohoffm » Oct Mon 21, 2019 7:47 pm

good work Aux and thanx for posting
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Peter Piper » Oct Mon 21, 2019 8:43 pm

That's a great day, well done! Wonder how that would go in the DPR anyway? and where? Don Dubin is the man in the picture with the bass on the shed post by the boats at Jack and Lydias. he da man!
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Mon 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Very cool experience. Thanks for sharing
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Lake Geneva/Delevan