Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Delavan School House Rock

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FishinMatt 
#1 ·
The last several years I have taken the girls on a post school Lake Lawn Resort celebration trip. I was a little hesitant to spend the money on Lake Lawn as the last stay was not up to standards. Maybe they are having trouble with getting quality employees back after shut down? This trip did not start off the best either. The lady at check in did not have very good customer service skills to say the least. I left check in kind of shaking my head. We park the rig in the back of the lot to because of the boat and haul our stuff to the room. We get there and there are no room keys in our packet. I ask a housekeeper for help but no English. After a few tries (bad reception) I finally get a hold of someone to bring the keys over. We settle in the room and I go to order food (takeout or delivery only) and our in room phone does not work. Now I have been staying here since 2005 (new ownership in 15) and never had an issue. In last 2 trips 3 fairly significant issues. I don't know, but I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I did speak briefly with management and let them know about it. It is also disappointing that I frequent the resort for at least 10 room nights a year and they do not track guest history at all. I worked at a luxury hotel for about 10 years, and one thing that was understood is guest loyalty is paramount. We worked hard to make sure our repeat customers did not choose our competition and continued to stay with us. Maybe that is one of the reasons why the original ownership failed and this one does not seem to be doing any better? IDK, but just a heads up if you are thinking of spending your hard earned money there.

So after finally getting some food we settled into our routine of pool basketball and relaxation. Most of the other amenities like arcade room, in door pools, hot tubs, gift shop, sit down dining outlets are still closed. My oldest wants nothing to do with fishing or boating anymore, but my youngest Maddy is still into it. We fished a few hours in evening and in the morning. Maddy is stubborn and wants to do things her way, which I love. In the evening she was fixated on getting a fish on a buzzbait. Having never thrown one before this was hard, especially using a cheaper lighter action setup. After seeing me catch several nice fish on jerkbaits she decided that is what she wanted to do the next day. I offered 5 dollars a fish and she caught a decent pike and lost another one, which was pretty incredible. I've had plenty of really good fishermen blank with me on the jerkbait bite which in my opinion is one of the most difficult techniques to get down. She did this tossing a 1/2 ounce bait on a 7 foot rod as well. The bite was very average and I imagine she would do much better when they are really chewing out there.

All in all another fun trip, even if the oldest would rather play Minecraft on the I-Pad.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
RonG said:
Nice story! Offer your other daughter $10 or $20 a fish and maybe she will come back from the dark side. :)
I don't think I could afford what it would take to get her on the lake. I will occasionally force her to shore fish, but that is more to get her off her butt in the house and just get outside for a few hours.

#6 ·
Solid gators. I love the $5 a fish bribe. I'm gonna steal that technique as my kids get older. As far as lake lawn goes, I've only stayed their once back in 2014 I'd say. But across the board I've never had good customer service any where in Wisconsin and I work in Wisconsin! I'm primarily speaking of restaurants and resort stays. But heck, I love just about everything else in that state so I can easily deal with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.