Kankakee Wipers ?

Some of the best river fishing in all of Illinois.

Kankakee Wipers ?

Postby CBatt2 » Aug Sun 23, 2020 6:07 pm

A question for the informed: Are the Hybrid Striped Bass in the Kankakee River, all escapees from Heidecke Lake, or have they ever been intentionally stocked? I came across an online article that said fish approaching 10lbs. are fairly common near the Wilmington Dam. Since they can't reproduce, I don't see how there can be enough of them to be a regular catch, if their presence is solely due to flood-time, jail breaks. Just curious.
P.S. - I happened to catch and release one, about 22", this past weekend, and the fight it put up in the current was remarkable.
CBatt2
Pan Fish

Re: Kankakee Wipers ?

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Sun 23, 2020 10:53 pm

What a coincidence, I was reading up on that species earlier because they're found in an Indiana lake I'm thinking about fishing. I have no idea why they'd be in the kankakee river- if it floods, I would think it would be more likely to spread it's fish into nearby waters and not visa versa and even if it were near Channahon, not Wilmington, the other rivers probably don't hold wipers either. Good question how it (they?) got there. 22"? That's a solid fish! Congrats!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Aug Mon 24, 2020 12:30 am

CBatt2 wrote: I came across an online article that said fish approaching 10lbs. are fairly common near the Wilmington Dam. Since they can't reproduce, I don't see how there can be enough of them to be a regular catch,

Considering the type of folks I've seen regularly fishing the Wilmington Dam, I can't see there being enough of anything being a regular catch.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Mon 24, 2020 6:21 pm

There are a number of them in the lower Des Plaines as well. I've seen some giants pulled out of the Illinois River.

Screenshot_20200824-181918_Gallery.jpg

You probably can't regularly catch them year round. But they run in schools with other wipers and whites. When they're around, you usually catch a couple of them not just one. They love WWDs in winter and eddy near current when its warm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ganz1960 » Aug Tue 25, 2020 11:07 am

Wow…what a fish! Catching one of those while wading must be a blast.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Wow - until Aux posted that picture I thought this thread was about the sanitary habits of people from Kankakee. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby CBatt2 » Aug Tue 25, 2020 4:48 pm

GOOD STUFF!! My brother contacted the district fisheries biologist,with the dnr, for that area, and the gentleman said he was interested in studying this further. Didn't think it very probable that they were coming from Heidecke, saying that fish will generally get into the lake, FROM the river. At first he thought I might've released a near record white bass, but I texted a pic that proved it was a hybrid.

Rambler, your comment made me laugh! There was a whiff of truth to it,however, considering some of what I saw washed up on shore! Kind of made me regret the leak in my wading boots.
CBatt2
Pan Fish

Return to Illinois/Kankakee/Rock Rivers