Kankakee??

Some of the best river fishing in all of Illinois.

Kankakee??

Postby ChiTown_kayaking » May Tue 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Has anyone been on or around Kankakee river recently. A friend and I are heading out tomorrow and I'm just curious on how high and fast the water is? Not sure which kayak to bring.
ChiTown_kayaking
Minnow

Re: Kankakee??

Postby Bobba Down » May Tue 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Not sure what stretch you plan on fishing, but the river is still very high and fast. Wilmington gauge is still over 18,000 (normal flow is <6,000) Will probably be very challenging to fish from a kayak.

You would be better off trying to find some eddys and current seams against the bank, from shore.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby ChiTown_kayaking » May Tue 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Bobba Down wrote:Not sure what stretch you plan on fishing, but the river is still very high and fast. Wilmington gauge is still over 18,000 (normal flow is <6,000) Will probably be very challenging to fish from a kayak.

You would be better off trying to find some eddys and current seams against the bank, from shore.

Thanks for the heads up, not sure exactly where on the kankakee but looking for some new water to fish. But if thats the case I'm out thanks for the heads up. Quick question since it seems like you have a better understanding. Where do you find what is consider normal flow of a river and is it possible for find the current flow online??
ChiTown_kayaking
Minnow

Postby Bobba Down » May Tue 09, 2017 8:27 pm

There are a number of apps for your phone you can get to monitor gauge flow, or flood charts. Riverapp.. hydro gauges... etc.

There is also the USGS website. Here's the link to the gauge at the Wilmington dam. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=05527500

It will take time and experience to know what each reading on the gauge means for the river. I usually fish Wilmington dam to the confluence area, so this is the gauge I use. I know if the flow is 5K or less, it's pretty wadable. Eddys will form in certain areas once the flow reaches certain levels, but that is all learned by time on the water combined with reading the gauge readings at each outing.

On that stretch, I would say 7K or more would be a difficult float to control.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby ChiTown_kayaking » May Tue 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks for all the info! The only river I have ever fished was DPR around oakton and irving park rd. Probably the worst section of the river but I just hate DPR and was looking for something new.
ChiTown_kayaking
Minnow

Return to Illinois/Kankakee/Rock Rivers