New to Illinois

Lake County, IL - Fishing Information

New to Illinois

Postby Jbass » Jun Wed 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just relocated to Vernon Hills from PHX, AZ and am an avid bass angler. I have been following your blogs for a month now and am excited for the fishing opportunities that provide different opportunities than AZ. By that I mean most lakes in PHX are deep resevoirs for drop shot, deep cranks and with some shallow type waters.

I haven't gone fishing yet as my poles just arrived two days ago but am itching to get out soon. I had to sell my 14 foot Jon boat to help get out here so I'm a shore angler for now so if anyone in my area wants to get together let me know. I'd love to learn fishing Illinois but would be more than happy sharing my knowledge on DS and other AZ techniques that have some differences than what I've read here.

Thanks for sharing your pics and advice! Looking forward to getting out soon and sharing the same.
Jbass
Minnow

Re: New to Illinois

Postby Dr. Utssab » Jun Wed 11, 2014 11:59 pm

Just in time for the weeds!!!

Welcome....you'll find a wide variety of lakes around the area and within a few hours drive. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby PeterB » Jun Thu 12, 2014 1:04 am

-

Welcome Jbass! Good to have you with us. Enjoy the forums and your great new city. Welcome.

Your not to far from Independence Grove, that might be a decent spot for you to drive over, go for a nice stroll and take a few casts.

Then of course there is our great lakefront. Perch are around this time of year. Pick up your IL fishing Lic and head to Montrose harbor which is E. of LakeShoreDrive (LSD) keep going E on Montrose follow it in and around to the turn around by the mouth of the harbor or jetti (ask anyone if your cant locate it) park and go for a stroll with light tackle, your lic and line at about 4:30am and fish until about 8/9... Keep an eye out for what everyone else is doing and perch it! Do a search on here for perching tackle. Just a couple quickies for ya

PeterB 8)

-
PeterB
Fishing Fanatic

Postby TheWoz » Jun Thu 12, 2014 7:12 am

Welcome! There's a lot of variety here every season has something to hold.
http://www.LucidFishing.com
Lucid Fishing Grips
Http://facebook.com/lucidfishingproducts
Instagram.com/lucidfishing
Hobie Fishing Team
TheWoz
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FISHdank » Jun Thu 12, 2014 8:23 am

Az to here??? I thought it was the other way around, haha since your up here you might as well chase after some teeth, pike and musky, the grove has good numbers of both. You will just be upset with the size bass you'll get around here compared to what was down in AZ. either way man welcome to the site, and to cold ass chicago!
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby achotrod » Jun Thu 12, 2014 11:15 am

FISHdank wrote:Az to here??? I thought it was the other way around, haha since your up here you might as well chase after some teeth, pike and musky, the grove has good numbers of both. You will just be upset with the size bass you'll get around here compared to what was down in AZ. either way man welcome to the site, and to cold ass chicago!

Im with dank on this one. Welcome to the site!
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby TheWoz » Jun Thu 12, 2014 12:18 pm

You're gonna love it hear. Our winters are similar to AZ's winter. :lol:
http://www.LucidFishing.com
Lucid Fishing Grips
Http://facebook.com/lucidfishingproducts
Instagram.com/lucidfishing
Hobie Fishing Team
TheWoz
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jbass » Jun Fri 13, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks everyone! I may regret it in the winter but 3 months of 110+ degrees and another month or two above 100 degrees isn't fun either! Haha.

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes. Hoping to post a pic of my first IL bass soon. Maybe this weekend!

Tight lines.
Jbass
Minnow

Postby SavnOne » Jun Fri 13, 2014 11:19 am

><> Jbass, I tend to do more reading than posting primarily because I'm far less productive the mass majority of these men. However, what you will find from this blog are amazing fishermen with a whole ton of experience. Google map the area you live, locate different lakes/ponds, read posts about each one you find, and scout those waters when you have free time. While many of these anglers don't give you the exact spots they are catching fish, often times the picture and things they may say may help key you in on whereabouts to fish. Either way, welcome to the Windy City (you'll learn soon enough why it is called so). We're happy you joined WCF. God bless and good fishing!!! <><
><> Christians aren't perfect, just FORGIVEN!!! <><
SavnOne
Pan Fish

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Fri 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Jbass wrote:Thanks everyone! I may regret it in the winter but 3 months of 110+ degrees and another month or two above 100 degrees isn't fun either! Haha.

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes. Hoping to post a pic of my first IL bass soon. Maybe this weekend!

Tight lines.

Nice try.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Jun Fri 13, 2014 4:18 pm

I've lived in AZ and I can say I'd take our weather. You can dress appropriately to avoid being cold, but you can't escape the heat unless you're indoors all day. 95 degrees at night is brutal.
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby trunkmonkey » Jun Fri 13, 2014 9:15 pm

wow - perhaps I'm living in the wrong state???!! I would love 95 degree days, and hotter! Heck, when we had the heat wave and it was like 95+, I was the one sleeping with my windows open, and a sheet and comforter!

TM

p.s.

I guess it can't be helped that I am Indian, and we LOVE the HEAT!! (well, I do anyway)
trunkmonkey
Fishing Czar

Postby Jbass » Jun Fri 13, 2014 10:22 pm

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, trunkmonkey. Haha. I've loved every rainy, gloomy, 'cold' day so far and my co workers think I'm insane!

By the way, I live near Big Bear, Little Bear and Lake Charles and saw a fish species sign showing Pike, LM and SM bass. Are there really SM bass? The AZ conditions I'm used to seeing them in I didn't think so but I could be wrong.

The water is so stained from what I'm used to I'm gonna try baits I don't normally throw like black spinner baits with a Colorado blade, crankbaits in chartreuse and a black back, etc. do any of you guys have success with those?
Jbass
Minnow

Postby BigmouthForever23 » Jun Mon 23, 2014 11:38 am

Welcome to the forums Jbass. I actually reside in Mundelein. I also fish Big/Little Bear lake often. I know a lot of people will recommend IG as a good lake to fish. Personally, I'm not a big fan. My biggest complaint about that lake is the lack of areas on the shore that you can fish. Much of the bank along the lake has been allowed to grow with tall grass, weeds, trees, etc. It makes it hard to walk the shore and just cast. You can do that at Big Bear, but not IG. There are some good spots but there a few and they always seem to be occupied.
BigmouthForever23

Return to Independence Grove