DPR Canoe Launch/North Bay 7/28/18

Lake County, IL - Fishing Information

DPR Canoe Launch/North Bay 7/28/18

Postby crankybass » Jul Mon 30, 2018 12:39 am

I arrived at IG just after 6:30 a.m. I parked in the North Bay lot, and taking Aux's advice, I decided to fish the DPR Canoe launch. The access is great. I decided to go with a 3/8 oz Chartreuse/White Z-Man chatterbait, with a 3.5" Shur-Set Shur Minnow in Firetiger, hoping to entice a Northern. Third cast, from east to west, just south of the foot bridge, I had my first DPR largemouth since 2014--thanks for the advice Aux :D . I had a nice fight, landed him, and measured and weighed him at 14", 1.61lb. Not bad. I fished around the area, on the north side of the foot bridge, but after 45 or so minutes I decided to head over to the North Bay.

I started working my way around the north side, throwing my frog and T-rigged soft plastics. I had one take the frog, and after a brief battle he came unbuttoned. I hit the smaller pools on the north side, on both sides of the pedestrian/bicycle bridge. These had a good amount of grass/pads, and lots of bluegill, but I had not hits on my frog or my T-rigged soft plastics. I returned to the North Bay, to hits west and south sides. The access to deeper water on these sides of the bay is very good. I decided to throw a Shur-Set swim jig in bluegill, with a Rage Chunk in Green Pumpkin/Red, but decided to change over to a Shur-Set Reel Shad 3.5" boot tail minnow. I had a strike on this, may two, but no hookups. I talked with another angler who was working the south side of the bay. He said that he had some success, landing a smaller northern on a Ned Rig. I brought along my finesse set-up--Daiwa RG spinning rod (ML/XS) with a Daiwa Laguna reel and 8lb mono, know that the water is very clear and that the pressure might make a finesse set-up a good choice if my other set-ups didn't work. I began throwing my Neko Rig, with a Daiwa Yamamoto Neko Fat 5" worm in watermelon/black and red, but after 15-20 minutes I decided that Green Pumpkin would be a better color based on the forage and the water clarity, so I went with Zoom 6.5" Green Pumpkin Trick Worm. I kept working my way around to the south side of the bay, and I finally had some action. I had a couple of hits, and I even lost one of the worms. A few minutes after I lost that bait, casting into the same area, I hooked a 13" largemouth. He put up a good fight before I landed him. Since it was getting close to noon, I decided, based on my goals, to head over to Old School and see if I could fill my bag with my goal minimum of three bass of at least 12" each--and I did. I'll post that in "Other Waters."
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Re: DPR Canoe Launch/North Bay 7/28/18

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Mon 30, 2018 2:48 am

Little river bass to ease into the day, very nice.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Jul Mon 30, 2018 8:30 am

Covered some ground, fished multiple locations and picked up fish. That's a good morning.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Mon 30, 2018 5:29 pm

If the bass you caught was anything like the ones I got at the canoe launch on 60, they were impressive regardless of size. Among the fattest bass I've ever caught. All 5 were in the 12"-14" range with some serious girth. I added a pic of the fattest of the 5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Jul Mon 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Nice looking fish, Woohoo. I plan to fish up there again, sometime in the near future, but in the meantime I am exploring options in DuPage County. I've got the county fishing guide, and some tips from guys that live and fish out there (Bassin the Burbs Facebook group). The reports and pics those guys have been submitting this year have been phenomenal. I know I'll have to drive 1 to 1.5 hours each way, but for regular 4+ lb bass it is worth it.

How are you doing? You plan on hitting Old School this week? Looking forward to your reports, wherever you decide to go.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Jul Mon 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Cranky, if don't mind me asking, if you live in Evanston, why do you not fish the Lake? I thought there's some access to water here and there.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby crankybass » Jul Tue 31, 2018 8:42 am

Grain wrote:Cranky, if don't mind me asking, if you live in Evanston, why do you not fish the Lake? I thought there's some access to water here and there.

Grain, there isn't a great deal of shore access because of private property, the beaches, and rules that prohibit access from the rocks. The smallmouth bass tend to move in close for short periods during the spawn, and I don't have a kayak or other type of boat. Plus, I don't care to fish in the city.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Jul Tue 31, 2018 8:45 am

If you are willing to drive an hour and don’t mind shelling out the $$ for a Wisconsin license there is some good shore fishing/access up that way.

~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Jul Tue 31, 2018 4:42 pm

crankybass wrote: in the meantime I am exploring options in DuPage County. I've got the county fishing guide, and some tips from guys that live and fish out there (Bassin the Burbs Facebook group). The reports and pics those guys have been submitting this year have been phenomenal. I know I'll have to drive 1 to 1.5 hours each way, but for regular 4+ lb bass it is worth it.

Regular 4+lb bass in dupage?!?!? Sign me up Haha. I fish public waters in DuPage all the time with the exception of one private place. The grass is not any greener on this side of the county line.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Wed 01, 2018 12:34 am

Cranky, Grain mentioned you live in Evanston? Don’t see you saying that but if so, do you know if there is still a canoe/ kayak rental on the North shore channel of the Chicago river at McCormick? I used to work in Skokie and live in Evanston and fished the north shore channel often. There were nice bass in there. Nice enough that I want to go back and check it out
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Aug Wed 01, 2018 12:10 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:Cranky, Grain mentioned you live in Evanston? Don’t see you saying that but if so, do you know if there is still a canoe/ kayak rental on the North shore channel of the Chicago river at McCormick? I used to work in Skokie and live in Evanston and fished the north shore channel often. There were nice bass in there. Nice enough that I want to go back and check it out

Heddon, the Dammrich Rowing Center is located at that point. It's part of the Skokie Park District. They don't rent, they provide free launch though. As far as I could determine, there is no rental facility on the channel.

The issue for me, with the channel, is the odor--it's gotten pretty bad--and the warning is that if you get cut and get the water in the cut, you may want to consider a hospital visit just in case--the bacteria count can be quite high.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Aug Wed 01, 2018 12:17 pm

crankybass wrote:The issue for me, with the channel, is the odor--it's gotten pretty bad--and the warning is that if you get cut and get the water in the cut, you may want to consider a hospital visit just in case--the bacteria count can be quite high.

That is f***** disgusting.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Aug Wed 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:
crankybass wrote:The issue for me, with the channel, is the odor--it's gotten pretty bad--and the warning is that if you get cut and get the water in the cut, you may want to consider a hospital visit just in case--the bacteria count can be quite high.

That is f***** disgusting.

Its the water treatment discharge--if you lose your paddle: "You'll be up a sanitary canel without a proper means of propulsion!"
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby vman01 » Aug Wed 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Somebody light a match
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby crankybass » Aug Fri 03, 2018 12:30 pm

mike son wrote:
crankybass wrote: in the meantime I am exploring options in DuPage County. I've got the county fishing guide, and some tips from guys that live and fish out there (Bassin the Burbs Facebook group). The reports and pics those guys have been submitting this year have been phenomenal. I know I'll have to drive 1 to 1.5 hours each way, but for regular 4+ lb bass it is worth it.

Regular 4+lb bass in dupage?!?!? Sign me up Haha. I fish public waters in DuPage all the time with the exception of one private place. The grass is not any greener on this side of the county line.

Mike Son, I appreciate your comment. I was informed that a good portion of those posts have been from private waters (retention ponds), and from Will and Grundy counties, where there is a lot less pressure. I am not bored with my favorite fishing destination, I just worry about burning it out, or if the conditions change and I don't have some alternative places that produce. The initial exploration of new waters almost always includes a learning curve and some skunk outings, which for a weekend angler can be a hard sell. I hope to have some flex time coming up, so I may have some weekdays to fish and explore some additional places and expand my territory.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Return to Independence Grove