Pfluger, Cabelas sale

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Pfluger, Cabelas sale

Postby ffishman » Jul Tue 09, 2019 8:10 am

About a year ago, or so, Cabelas had a sale on Pfluger reels, 50%off. Well I bought one and it is now broken. The Bail arm that broke, they no longer carry or make. So, in essence I am SOL. I am trying to find my receipt for it, but so far no luck. My next thing is looking for it on my charge page. In hopes of easing my search I am wondering if anyone here remembers the sale Cabelas had and exactly when they had it. it would help me looking thru paper work. Thanks
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Pfluger, Cabelas sale

Postby minstrel » Jul Tue 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Just wondering if this was the site you looked at for parts? Not sure what model you have but you could check it out.

http://tinyurl.com/y6m46clz
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby ffishman » Jul Tue 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes that is the site. On there they say the part I need it not made any more. I called Corens today and he also said that part is not made anymore. He also told me in his opinion Pfluger has gone down hill in recent years. He said to mark it off to bad luck and buy a Dawia which is a great reel. I am done with Pfluger
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Jul Tue 09, 2019 4:58 pm

It's a shame they can't get parts anymore. Sorry that site doesn't work for ya.

I have to say my Pflugers now find themselves on 'backup' poles I use when fishing from the Busse rocks for trout, while I did pick up a Daiwa this year that is on my main bass pole.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Jul Wed 10, 2019 9:44 am

Daiwa Lexa spinning - highly recommend.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jul Wed 10, 2019 10:20 am

Have you talked to Pflueger about it? Several guys on the site have had excellent customer service experiences dealing with them directly. In my case it was a clear issue if operator error and they fixed and shipped it back free with a small gift. They have a shop they run repairs through that is in the Midwest so it's a fairly decent turnaround time shipping to and from Chicago.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Wed 10, 2019 11:42 am

What Brett said. Send it to their service dept in Spirit Lake, IA with a note asking how much it would cost. They'll probably fix it free of charge.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Jul Wed 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Cant fix it, the parts are no longer made. Pfluger said if I send it in, my cost, and they cannot fix it, they will sell me another at a discounted price. When I asked how much that would be, she could not answer that. Dawia here I come.
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby big jay » Jul Wed 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Go with a Diawa Feugo I have the tatula LT it's awesome but expensive the Feugo it extremely nice for the money.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:46 am

FYI: I've been having some issues with a Pflueger Summit - size 35. From time-to-time the line (20 lb braid) gets stuck between the roller & the bail arm. I compared the Summit to my President XTs - both also size 35 & they are virtually identical. I just ordered a new roller & associated parts using the model # 6735XT.

I'll report on if the new parts fit the Summit & it they fix the problem.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jul Fri 19, 2019 8:36 pm

I have only used Daiwa reels for the last 15 years plus and have not had a single issue with any of them.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 20, 2019 7:26 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:I have only used Daiwa reels for the last 15 years plus and have not had a single issue with any of them.

When I got back into fishing in the early 70s - after a hiatus during college - a friend told me "you can't go wrong with Daiwa". So I used a Daiwa spinning reel for several years.

Then for reasons lost in the mists of time I went with Abu (before they got bought up by Pure Fishing). After a few years I briefly got into Mitchell. About 10 years ago I was at Cabelas & the sales guy told me that Pfluegers were the most highly rated reasonably priced reels. That's when I got my 1st President XT.

Went off on a Lew's tangent for a while but went back to Pflueger after having an experience with their outstanding customer service. With this recent experience with Lew's I decided to give Daiwa another shot.

Just goes to show Harry Chapin was right when he wrote, "All my life's a circle".
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Wed 24, 2019 5:43 pm

So hmm... the parts I ordered do not fit. But then again, they don't appear to fit my 2 President XTs. So someone at the shipping center screwed up.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 27, 2019 8:39 am

Just realized I have a source of parts - the Lew's reel that broke last week. Took the screw that holds the bail to the arm off & it fit my Pflueger Summit. How many different size screws can be available to reel manufacturers anyway? The Lew's roller doesn't fit so I'm sticking for now with the Pflueger roller. I think if the issue continues I'll take it to Corens.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jul Sat 27, 2019 9:09 am

Rambler wrote:Just realized I have a source of parts - the Lew's reel that broke last week. Took the screw that holds the bail to the arm off & it fit my Pflueger Summit. How many different size screws can be available to reel manufacturers anyway? The Lew's roller doesn't fit so I'm sticking for now with the Pflueger roller. I think if the issue continues I'll take it to Corens.

When Lews came back into production, they were outsourcing parts/components from pure fishing for their reels. Id bet many of the parts between pflueger & Lews of the same time frame are interchangeable.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 27, 2019 10:13 am

cletedius wrote:When Lews came back into production, they were outsourcing parts/components from pure fishing for their reels. Id bet many of the parts between pflueger & Lews of the same time frame are interchangeable.

Didn't know that. Good to know. Thanks!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Nov Tue 05, 2019 10:57 am

This is a belated follow up to the above.

Beginning with ffisherman's original question, I found the receipt for my Pflueger Summit in of all places, the desktop on my PC. Go figure. Anyway the date was 12/22/17. So that's when the sale was.

And to follow up on my issues with the Summit; as previously mentioned I replaced the screw that holds the bail to the bail arm and the problem seems to have gone away. Not that I got a whole lot of use pike fishing on the DPR this year but after at least 100-200 casts there's no issue.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Tue 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Rambler wrote:This is a belated follow up to the above.

Beginning with ffisherman's original question, I found the receipt for my Pflueger Summit in of all places, the desktop on my PC. Go figure. Anyway the date was 12/22/17. So that's when the sale was.

And to follow up on my issues with the Summit; as previously mentioned I replaced the screw that holds the bail to the bail arm and the problem seems to have gone away. Not that I got a whole lot of use pike fishing on the DPR this year but after at least 100-200 casts there's no issue.

Lower end pflueger reels got heavier and junkier I'm done with them. I will fish them until broken but the last 5 reels I bought have been daiwa
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information