Shoreline

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Shoreline

Postby kgoldman » Jun Mon 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi all,

New member and new to local fishing here in Lake County, IL.

Is there any reasonably good shoreline fishing to get my son started in an area in central (Grayslake) to northwestern Lake county or McHenry area? I would prefer to avoid most of the Chain due to the heavy boat traffic unless you know of a relatively quiet spot. We'll give IG a try in Libertyville. I've tried a couple of the Forest Preserve sites, but not much biting. Bass and walleye prefered over cat.

Thanks for the help!
Ken
kgoldman

Postby Augy » Jun Mon 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Welcome aboard Ken! :mrgreen:

I'm not very experienced in the Lake county areas but hopefully some of our members can chime in.
Augy
Hooker

Fishing in Lake County

Postby JasonN » Jun Mon 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Hey Ken... welcome to the site!

Independence is a gem in Lake County so definately give it a try. The shore fishing there is great.

Another good spot is the McHenry Dam on the Fox River - Located off Rt 176.

Turner Lake, located in Chain O Lakes State Park has some decent fish and plenty of shore fishing.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby MrB » Jun Sun 25, 2006 9:05 am

MrB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby kgoldman » Jun Sun 25, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the great responses! We'll be heading out to IG and Twin Lake for sure, and try out some more Forest Preserve areas as well. Weekends have been pretty booked, so we're still trying to get out. My son was watching the Mad Fin Shark Tourney on ESPN this morning and it's spiked his interest (not sure how many of those we're gonna catch :lol: ) but maybe a lunker will make him happy!
I'll let you know how we make out!
Ken
kgoldman

Postby cgc » Jul Tue 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Sterling Lake at the Van Patten forest preserve isn't bad. The panfish seem pretty plentiful and caught one 14" smallmouth this morning. Think I'll give IG a try, haven't been there, any other known reasonable shoreline fishing locations in Lake or northern Cook?
cgc

Postby Augy » Jul Thu 06, 2006 6:00 pm

cgc, welcome to wcf! thanks for the report. look forward to more of your posts.
Augy
Hooker

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information