Invasive species

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Invasive species

Postby jonny2can » Jun Mon 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Wgn radio had a story on this morning on my commute home about how they found a asian carp in the cal sag I believe but they also found another rare invasive species but I forget the name.. wanted to check out a pic but can't remember.. anyone hear this story.. all I recall is they said most are only 6 inches long but some reach a foot.. thanks
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Re: Invasive species

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Not sure. But if Asian carp get into lake MI it's going to be a complete disaster.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Jun Mon 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Looking through list only thing sounding familiar is weather loach.. but could be wrong
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Rich D » Jun Mon 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Yes, weather loach I believe, Jonny.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Jun Mon 26, 2017 6:09 pm

jonny2can wrote:Wgn radio had a story on this morning on my commute home about how they found a asian carp in the cal sag I believe but they also found another rare invasive species but I forget the name.. wanted to check out a pic but can't remember.. anyone hear this story.. all I recall is they said most are only 6 inches long but some reach a foot.. thanks

I heard the story of the asian carp over the weekend, but not of any other nasty fish. The carp got past the barrier and was nine miles from the lake in the Little Calumet River. The electric barrier will never work due to all those the US has already imported who are worshipers of asian carp and snakeheads who would love to have their favorite meals available in Lake Michigan. They just catch them on one side of the barrier and drop them in on the other side or straight into LM. The tax money would be better spent on an electric barrier to keep out the environmental terrorists who would deliberately do such evil things. :idea: I believe those goofy fish with the eyeballs on the underside of their heads are already in the lake. :?

Rambler wrote:Not sure. But if Asian carp get into lake MI it's going to be a complete disaster.

I don't necessarily agree with respect to Lake Michigan, but for all the tributaries, yes a complete disaster.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Jun Mon 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Rich D wrote:weather loach

Maybe Tom Skilling or Jerry Taft, but definitely doesn't describe Cheryl Scott.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Brett » Jun Mon 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Weatherfish:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/stea ... -anything/

Heard about the carp too, no bueno.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bobba Down » Jun Mon 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Good thing the Zebra and Quagga mussels already depleted the food source for the asian carp. The great lakes really don't make a suitable habitat for them.

Any potential damage would come from them using the great lakes to get in to other river systems.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jun Mon 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Bobba Down wrote:Good thing the Zebra and Quagga mussels already depleted the food source for the asian carp. The great lakes really don't make a suitable habitat for them.

Any potential damage would come from them using the great lakes to get in to other river systems.

Those are my exact thoughts and what I was alluding to.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby busse bass man » Jun Tue 27, 2017 5:44 am

The other fish was probably a weatherfish. They had an article in the Sun Times about them. They have been in the water systems for awhile now. 1 guy turned in a pic and has been photographing them for awhile.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/section/outdoors/
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby Rich D » Jun Tue 27, 2017 6:48 am

Cheryl Scott would be an exception....although Ron I do believe Jerry Taft has depleted the food supply.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby jonny2can » Jun Tue 27, 2017 7:15 am

Brett wrote:Weatherfish:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/stea ... -anything/

Heard about the carp too, no bueno.

That's the story.. thanks
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 27, 2017 8:11 am

RonG wrote:The electric barrier will never work due to all those the US has already imported who are worshipers of asian carp and snakeheads who would love to have their favorite meals available in Lake Michigan. They just catch them on one side of the barrier and drop them in on the other side or straight into LM. The tax money would be better spent on an electric barrier to keep out the environmental terrorists who would deliberately do such evil things

Good point. Do you think they'd let us shoot them? Back in the 60s my best buddy & I used to go to a quarry up along the DPR around Libertyville. We'd plink carp in the pools with 22s. SOOO much fun! Maybe we could do the same with the assholes... :wink:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rich D » Jun Tue 27, 2017 8:37 am

x2 on what Ron said about live fish importers.

When I used to work for the Park District summers past you wouldn't believe the random exotics that were introduced to McKinley Park on the south side.

The fish don't walk here.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby WetWader » Jun Tue 27, 2017 8:48 am

Bobba Down wrote:Good thing the Zebra and Quagga mussels already depleted the food source for the asian carp. The great lakes really don't make a suitable habitat for them.

Don't forget about the northern part of lake Michigan which is much shallower. Sturgeon Bay for example.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 27, 2017 9:15 am

Rich D wrote:When I used to work for the Park District summers past you wouldn't believe the random exotics that were introduced to McKinley Park on the south side.

Reminds me of my 1st summer lifeguarding at Loyola Park Beach. 1967 was the year the alewives made themselves known in a bad way. They got into the Great Lakes via the St. Lawrence Seaway & had a major die off that summer. You couldn't dive into the lake without hitting dozens of them. And when they washed up on shore they got infested with maggots - DISGUSTING! We'd rake them into piles, pour gas on them & light them up (at night). Would have made great bonfires except for the smell.

The next year the MI DNR planted salmon in the Platte River & they got to work ridding the lakes of alewives. The rest is history.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Jun Tue 27, 2017 3:03 pm

RonG wrote:
Rich D wrote:weather loach

Maybe Tom Skilling or Jerry Taft, but definitely doesn't describe Cheryl Scott.

Remember ginger on NBC local.. oh my lord she is gorgeous.. think she went to good morning America
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » May Mon 03, 2021 11:47 pm

And now the invasive species visits the thread and tries to make their case.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » May Tue 04, 2021 8:22 am

Grain wrote:And now the invasive species visits the thread and tries to make their case.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ataboy Grain - you beat Ron to it.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

https://jokerslot.game/

Postby Piyapron » May Wed 05, 2021 1:10 am

I like big butts and I cannot lie.......
Piyapron

Postby threeats407 » May Wed 05, 2021 6:11 pm

I can't even come close to imagining the boredom one must have in their lives to hunt down obscure forums just to post some BS spam. This guy has elevated it with two posts.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information