Going for Trout for the First Time

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Going for Trout for the First Time

Postby Scipio24 » Apr Tue 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Hey all,

So this year I decided I wanted to take my daughter to trout fish on opening day by my house at Pickerel Lake in Wayne. They started stocking trout a few weeks ago and Saturday is opening day. I have never fished for trout before, though I have fished this lake. I have a few small jigs/flies that I was planing on using as my initial lure choice. However, as mentioned, I don't have much experience so I thought I would kindly ask for any sage advice from the fine WCF folks.

Any recommendations on lures? Presentations? Or just other general knowledge on this species and this event (opening trout day in IL). Anything is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Going for Trout for the First Time

Postby Brett » Apr Tue 03, 2018 8:58 pm

I've gone once, at Wood Dale Grove. I went a day or two after the initial rush, did pretty well on a little silvery blue metallic blue fox vibrax.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Wed 04, 2018 3:34 am

I recommend a small kastmaster or spoon. A tiny rooster tail as well. Some openers the guy casting is the first to limit.

Some openers the guy with a bobber in the right corner gets the limit the fastest. Set up a float with a piece of crawler or redworm and a small hook. Honestly I think any live bait would work, as well as powerbait, I just prefer the worm wiggle.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 8:34 am

^Might need to try these
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 8:41 am

cant beat the kastmaster but the cold temp on saturday might make that impossible. plan b is a minnow under a slip rig.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 8:54 am

urbanHog312 wrote:cant beat the kastmaster but the cold temp on saturday might make that impossible. plan b is a minnow under a slip rig.

How small of a minnow and how deep do you think? aren't the fish pretty small?

Also, does anyone know which lake is better to fish/less crowd? Belleau or Axehead

Haven't fished either but those appear to be the closest to Arlington Hts
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 9:56 am

The fish can be decent sized but have pretty small mouths. Use small hooks or you'll miss some to bad hooksets. I'd recommend a small wiggly worm as well.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Scipio24 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Appreciate the advice. I will basically plan a multiple pronged attack consisting of small spoons, flies & some live worms. Hopefully it's not too crowded out there, weather and all that. Not sure what to expect but hopefully will be good fishing & bonding with my daughter regardless!
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby grems » Apr Wed 04, 2018 12:27 pm

One year I limited out in an hour with a dry fly behind a casting bubble. Same results another year on a small orange rooster tail, and once using waxies. Other years I've been skunked after trying everything in my tackle box.

I guess my point is you never know what will work, come prepared to try everything. And know that it will be crowded.
grems
Game Fish

Postby minstrel » Apr Wed 04, 2018 12:28 pm

I'll preface by saying I've never wrangled a spring trout as there is no Busse spring stocking. But at Busse I've had strong response to minnows under floats, light line and shallower than most who seem to want to throw baits out a hundred yards and wait.

I also caught several nice ones on 'powerbait eggs'; they are different from the regular powerbait in that they are small spongy 'eggs' together in a string. I had 'sunrise' color on a dropshot, as they float. Enough line to get them off the bottom a few feet.

Never tried lures.

The real thing though is that it's a wild experience. Go with a spirit of adventure. Both Belleau and Axe can be pretty much shoulder to shoulder but the temps may thin out the crowd a bit though we've had snow on opener day before.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 12:56 pm

minstrel wrote:The real thing though is that it's a wild experience. Go with a spirit of adventure. Both Belleau and Axe can be pretty much shoulder to shoulder but the temps may thin out the crowd a bit though we've had snow on opener day before.

Im excited for the experience, is it really "shoulder to shoulder" like everyone says? Seems comical
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:27 pm

i would give the minnow a good toss, about 2-3 feet under the surface

its an event. its fun. no sense in going if youre going to be crabby bc theres too many people.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:44 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:no sense in going if youre going to be crabby bc theres too many people.

No no I didnt mean that, I meant comical because I've always seen pictures like this and had no idea they were "real"

I always assumed they were for some kinda contest or special event
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 1:58 pm

haha was just a general statement. it basically looks like that fyi.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Apr Wed 04, 2018 2:22 pm

I always refer to it as "Fishing For Gold Bars" because you'd think that is what is going on. :)
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 2:26 pm

minstrel wrote:I always refer to it as "Fishing For Gold Bars" because you'd think that is what is going on. :)

Do they at least taste good? lol
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Wed 04, 2018 2:30 pm

i think they taste like shit. i only eat them if theyre smoked.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Apr Fri 06, 2018 1:21 am

I got two last spring and two in fall.
Rooster tail, Mepps, KVD crank 1.0, Kastmaster in gold. Tried Little Cleo (blue/silver) - got a strike but lost it.
Good luck. It can be crowded, lines get crossed. I go to Blackwell FP, Silver Lake. Had an idiot in a boat troll within 15 yards of the fishing pier I and several others were on, ran across several lines, guy next to me lost his lure due to boat hooking his line, tempers flared. Be careful out there. Several guys had kids along.
I went back on Sunday and got nothing.
Good luck and stay warm.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Apr Fri 06, 2018 11:35 am

Anyone have some good smoked trout recipes and heating schedules?
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby DasGoby » Apr Fri 06, 2018 11:58 am

I always had a good time taking Goby Jr. to inland trout. We went to Banana which isn't a great lake but has a pretty chill atmosphere or Wood Dale Grove which has lots of room even though it does get crowded and I think bigger trout than Lake or Cook county in general.

My last year in Illinois I did get a little tired of the crowds and just waking up so early and so we went for the sunset bite. It wasn't as good but we did catch fish and it was way less crowded and we got to sleep in.

I did go to one fall opening down near St. Louis when I was visiting St. Louis for my grandmother's birthday. It was a way different scene. Only about 20 people there on this huge lake. The locals told me the trout last all winter.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby weltyed » Apr Sun 08, 2018 8:07 pm

The Boy and I went to banana lake Saturday after the mercury hit 34f. Not super crowded, but more people than a normal day, especially a cold day. Took 50 minutes, but we took 2 rainbows on powerbait. Another 50 minutes, on the last cast, I pulled in a monster rainbow, but lost it on the shore as i pulled the line up and the 4# test snapped:(

Almost went back today (sunday), but it felt colder.
weltyed

Postby Scipio24 » Apr Sun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

We had Saturday morning commitments (swim lessons and all that jazz) so we didn't get to Pickerel Lake until about 12. Was sunny, but still cold, especially with the wind. Was slow going and I threw all kinds of stuff. My daughter (6 years old) got bored relatively quickly and thus our outing was only 90 minutes. No fish for us. I saw two trout caught on the side of the lake I was on (maybe 15-20 people fishing the west side). Couple guys I chatted with said many people hit the limit early, but it was like an hour wait line to get in at sunset (cars lined up, waiting to be let in).

I'll just wait for the fall and hopefully nicer temps haha :lol:
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Mon 09, 2018 7:15 pm

It's so tough when they're that young. You basically have 30 minutes to make something happen and when it doesn't, you're done. Go get em' next time Scott
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information