Major Fishing Purchases or Projects this Winter

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Major Fishing Purchases or Projects this Winter

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jan Thu 31, 2019 9:51 am

So what you got going on? Any big purchases? Any projects?

Tackle-wise I don't have any major purchases planned. I've got 5 high-end spinning combos and 7 baitcasting rigs that are in my arsenal. I've already got good gear that I am not using. And I stocked up so much at the TW Black Friday sale that I only have a couple odds and ends to pick up.

Boat-wise I have several projects.
1) Order a Just Encase deck box to fit between my seat at the helm for more storage.
2) Get my skeg repaired. Took a chunk out of it last season. First time I ever hit anything while running my boat.
3) Move a battery in my boat for better weight distribution.

Overall, a low key offseason for me considering years past. So how say you?
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Major Fishing Purchases or Projects this Winter

Postby Rambler » Jan Thu 31, 2019 11:17 am

Only fishing project I'm thinking about is sharpening all my hooks.

Still concentrating my energy on digitizing the last of my slides. Also painted my den. Got one set of windows left to do but taking the day off due to a nasty 24 hour bug.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Thu 31, 2019 11:28 am

Clean carburetor on my 2 stroke. Replace impeller, replace gear oil. Possibly new spark plug if needed.

Probably pick up a new combo at the spring fling. Heres to a not so cold & wet spring :thumbup:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby big jay » Jan Thu 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Not a purchase but might sell my boat this spring that would be major for me.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby billebob5 » Jan Thu 31, 2019 4:44 pm

if anyone comes across a used Lund Crossover let me know. That's my only planned purchase, but in reality probably not until 2020.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby ffishman » Jan Thu 31, 2019 5:38 pm

Thinking about picking up another crappie rod and reel. Any suggestions?
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jan Thu 31, 2019 8:29 pm

ffishman wrote:Thinking about picking up another crappie rod and reel. Any suggestions?

How do you do the bulk of your crappie fishing? Jigs, live bait, bobbers?
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby big jay » Jan Thu 31, 2019 8:58 pm

billebob5 wrote:if anyone comes across a used Lund Crossover let me know. That's my only planned purchase, but in reality probably not until 2020.

To bad your looking for a crossover and not a Impact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby FloridaRigger » Jan Thu 31, 2019 10:30 pm

after 4 years I'm finally breaking down and getting a butt/bike seat for my Lund like Jay has up front. I couldn't justify the $400+ that Lund dealers want for the official seat. found a Amazon open box pedestal for $120 and a bass pro seat for $50 that i used a gift card on.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Jan Thu 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Nice Jay! I'm holding out for a Crossover. I settled when I bought my truck. Not doing that to myself when I buy my boat. Great rig, if it's for sale i'm sure it won't be on the market long!
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby big jay » Feb Fri 01, 2019 6:45 am

billebob5 wrote:Nice Jay! I'm holding out for a Crossover. I settled when I bought my truck. Not doing that to myself when I buy my boat. Great rig, if it's for sale i'm sure it won't be on the market long!

Definitely get what you want the first time your going to love the crossover a friend of mine has one it's a nice boat. My boat will be for sale this spring.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby ffishman » Feb Fri 01, 2019 8:45 am

cletedius wrote:
ffishman wrote:Thinking about picking up another crappie rod and reel. Any suggestions?

All of the above
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Fri 01, 2019 9:24 am

My big purchase is a membership to a private club. Ponying up the money on Sunday, actually. Pumped to be a member. :thumbup:

It was that or setting up a 24v system in the boat and a new troller with iPilot. Figure I'll go with the club first as these pits don't need a lot of power to get me around. Then I'll worry about a bigger troller next year.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Feb Fri 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Just curious Smallies, what club? If you don't want publicity PM is fine. Just asking because as a child we belonged to Bass N Gill for a few years and Lily Cache. Those were awesome memories for me especially after I turned 16. :D
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby DasGoby » Feb Fri 01, 2019 1:08 pm

If I still lived in Chicagoland and in the western burbs, I would definitely invest in joining a private club. Congrats!
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Fri 01, 2019 2:21 pm

billebob5 wrote:Just curious Smallies, what club? If you don't want publicity PM is fine. Just asking because as a child we belonged to Bass N Gill for a few years and Lily Cache. Those were awesome memories for me especially after I turned 16. :D

South Wilmington Sportsman's Club. And thanks goby. Been fishing it for 7 years with a friend. Finally pulling the trigger.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Feb Fri 01, 2019 2:25 pm

ffishman wrote:
cletedius wrote:

All of the above

For a 1 rod answer:

Loomis IMX SR781 & 1000 size Daiwa from either the fuego, tatula, or ballistic models. This is my go-to crappie (& perch) outfit for years now, particularly for jig/plastic presentations from 1/32-1/8oz. Not a cheap combo, but if ultralight presentations are a regular part of your repetoire, its worth every penny. Most rods that are rated as UL are pretty useless IMO, but the 781 is about as perfect of a balance between having a soft tip, enough backbone for hook-setting, & top-notch sensitivity as I have come across. Its 1 of the few rods I own that if I lost it, I would without hesitation pay full retail to replace. The difference is night & day from any other UL I have ever picked up.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Fri 01, 2019 4:52 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
It was that or setting up a 24v system in the boat and a new troller with iPilot. Figure I'll go with the club first as these pits don't need a lot of power to get me around. Then I'll worry about a bigger troller next year.

Surprised that motor is still running since I thought it was on its last leg when I had it. I ran the motor hard for the 15 or so years I had that boat. How is the outboard running?
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Feb Fri 01, 2019 5:14 pm

I need a casting reel or two for some spare rods. Might pick up a high end spinning rod and a stradic ci4 since all mine are creek beaters. I've fully broken down and cleaned all my casting reels. I'll respool once we have open water. Need to inventory soft plastics and make purchase replacements. I think I'll be twiddling my thumbs for awhile waiting for open water :roll:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Fri 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Its a good question Paul. I haven't really thought about it in detail yet. Hell, I haven't even set goals for the year. I know I need to thin the baitcaster herd from 13 to about 8 but not sure how I'm going to go about it. Every time I think "Oh, I can sell that one or those two" I remember why I have them in the first place. I canceled an order for an Edge Spinning rod I was going to use as my drop shot rod, because they kept moving the build date on me. After the 3rd time I said "F-it" If you've never heard of Edge, it Gary Loomis's new rod company. Oh shit, before I forget again...Pat, if you still love the old Weibe handled early G Loomis rods, you can get a new take on that design on the high end Edge rods, which are semi affordable. I think about $250-300 about what we paid for GLX's back in the day. I'm sitting here with a fever coming up blank. I'll get back to you on this, haha
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Fri 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

Surprised that motor is still running since I thought it was on its last leg when I had it. I ran the motor hard for the 15 or so years I had that boat. How is the outboard running?

The troller is running ok. Has its good days and bad lol. Once in a while it'll have a hiccup, but nothing crazy. Outboard runs great. Just changed the lower unit oil over the summer, and gonna do an impeller in spring. Pulled two adults on a tube just fine this summer.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Feb Sat 02, 2019 12:20 am

Heddon if you have any musky sized bait casters let me know. Might be in the market for
A heavier set up. Just not wanting to pay retail.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Feb Sat 02, 2019 8:22 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

The troller is running ok. Has its good days and bad lol. Once in a while it'll have a hiccup, but nothing crazy. Outboard runs great. Just changed the lower unit oil over the summer, and gonna do an impeller in spring. Pulled two adults on a tube just fine this summer.

Good to hear. That outboard ran great for me about the last 10 years I owned it. Dragonmaster in Alsip fixed that sucker up and he got it purring. Very reliable.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Sat 02, 2019 10:26 am

Yeah it runs like a champ.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Sat 02, 2019 11:48 am

Nothing major for me per say. Gonna have a big GAS dump in a few weeks as my budget comes in. New reel, a couple new rods and random gear as well as the Deeper castable sonar. That iBobber I bought last year is trash but luckily I got a good deal on it. I posted it in the trading post last year and although I got an offer on it I didn't wanna tarnish my name by selling junk.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bent Hook » Feb Sat 23, 2019 9:51 am

I’m looking at getting a Nucanoe Frontier 12.
Bent Hook
Game Fish

Postby DasGoby » Feb Sat 23, 2019 10:19 am

Bent Hook,

What are your plans for the Nucanoe and have you demoed one? I thought maybe I wanted one until I tried one. You can read about my thoughts here: https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=69250&hilit=canoe

To summarize though, be sure you are really prepared to transport it. The NuCanoe with seats etc, is over 100 pounds and awkward to carry, even over 120 with 2 seats and rod holders. It is also super sluggish and kind of awkward to paddle. For tandem use, it is too short unless the person in the back is just paddling and guiding and not fishing. Lastly, it just doesn't sing quality and there are lots of quality complaints out there if you search the internet.

Personally, if I wanted that style craft I'd look at newer models that have come out in the last couple years, like the Old Town topwater or something from Wilderness.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Well my major purchase is in the bag. Officially a member of South Wilmington Sportsman's Club.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Feb Mon 25, 2019 11:19 am

This is sort of a fishing related project....I installed a roof rack on my TANTO trailer this weekend with my dad. Now its ready for some kayaks! No more ghetto hauling them in the bed of my truck!

https://www.facebook.com/77981659235326 ... 024009955/

Next up, I am building a custom kayak rack for the cross bars for my Lure and making an ice chest AC for the camper too haha! Projects never end but why should they??
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bent Hook » Feb Tue 26, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks Das, my plans are to put the new pedal drive on it, I think my biggest issue will be storing it. I already am having to car top a Hobie Outback, so it shouldn’t be too much heavier in that regard.
Bent Hook
Game Fish

Postby Lip_Yanker » Mar Tue 12, 2019 10:19 am

No purchases.

Major project was paying off all debt except the old ladies vehicle and our house and we accomplished that just over a month ago. Now I can divert more money to my retirement fund, 'cause I aint getting any younger and I want the hell out of the workforce in a few years.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Mar Tue 12, 2019 10:54 am

New truck to tow with,paint paint, clean repair house got to get out of here
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Mar Tue 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Batwing awning done and done!
https://www.facebook.com/77981659235326 ... 446549446/

FB_IMG_1552421434935.jpg

FB_IMG_1552421441049.jpg

Now I'm ready for fish camp!! Bring on the spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Now THAT is cool. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Traded in my Yahama 5hp for a 15hp Evinrude. :shh:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Wed 13, 2019 10:31 am

picked up a yeti 45 over the weekend along with a 7 ft HMX fenwick paired with a pflueger president 30. the yeti will slide nicely into my boat between the casting deck and livewell but its primary use will be for keeping ice and meat while camping for extended periods. other terminal tackle and lures i use consistently throughout the season were also gripped. the initial shock of the damage really set in when the cashier looked at the screen and said, damn! :shock:
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information