Some long overdue organization

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Some long overdue organization

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sat 16, 2019 7:34 am

So with lakes and ponds slowly starting to ice out, I suddenly conjured up some motivation to get my fishing gear organized. Living in an under 800 Sq. Ft. apartment limits my availability for storing things inside, so once fishing season rolls around all my gear migrates to my trunk. Well, CNN reported that Trump is diverting national emergency funds from his border wall project to my federal disaster area of a trunk.

I already have a number of 3700 boxes, but a lot of them were a random hodgepodge of everything. I had a spring box with jerkbaits, crankbaits, and lipless where once you grabbed one you pretty much grabbed em all in a tangled treble hook mess. Not anymore. I went to Cabela's and found a 4 pack of 3700's for a whopping $20, picked up some smaller boxes for a terminal box, and found a neat spinnerbait box which, although kinda pricey, is exactly what I was looking for to store my handful of the lure.

I then stopped at Target to grab some Sterilite containers. Another problem I run into is after slightly organizing my trunk, I pull out of my parking spot and hear all my boxes sliding around. I decided to attempt to remedy this by adding this Sterilite 28 Qt. tote where all my boxes should be able to pop in vertically. I'll also add an insert so I can keep my scale and other tools easily accessible as well as some velcro to the bottom to keep that from sliding around down the line. This tote came in at an affordable 5 bucks. I also grabbed 2 shoebox sized totes to store soft plastics in their bags at a measly buck a piece. Here's a link to the 28 qt. tote: http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=586&ProductCategory=179&section=7

I decided to go about this endeavor at about 8 PM last night. Once I surrounded myself with everything I thought "What the hell did I just do?" with having work at 6 AM and company over tonight. I comedicly posted a video to Snapchat of my living room floor with tackle and garbage strewn about with the caption "I should have done this over the whole winter #Ewelinasgonnakillme". I couldn't help but think I bit off more than I could chew. My fiance finally go home from work and exclaimed "What the f*ck", but luckily admitted she was extremely happy to be home and that she didn't care much, as long as it's all gone by 7 PM tonight :lol: She ended up snapping this shot of me in action:
Image2019-03-16_07-27-27 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr

Shortly after, the in-home task was done. I still need to get everything in the trunk of the car...of course after cleaning out what is still in the trunk. That photo will come eventually. Here's how everything looks thus far.
Image20190315_205717 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
Image20190315_232225 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr

Thought I'd share this with everyone and try to inspire y'all to make some of your lives easier. Some of you are more responsible adults than I and have had this done for quite some time :lol:. I also had the itch to type up something "report style" for all to enjoy.

In light of the Trump reference in the beginning of this, I leave you with this:
ImageScreenshot_20190316-072118_Snapchat by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Some long overdue organization

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sat 16, 2019 8:24 am

Those clear trays are the way to go if you have to haul all your stuff around or even have to put it away for season. When I lived in an apartment for 10 years I was doing the same exact thing. When I got a house and garage I kind of went with hanging everything on a peg board like a bait / tackle shop. Now when I go fishing, I grab what I need for the day and go. :lol:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sat 16, 2019 9:20 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Now when I go fishing, I grab what I need for the day and go. :lol:

Seriously cannot wait for that day lol. About a year away.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Mar Sat 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Too bad you did not make the Rolling Meadows swap meet. Our club had a table and were almost giving stuff away. Like 6 3700 boxes, a dollar. A bag of floats, 20 in a bag, a dollar, etc Some really good deals
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sat 16, 2019 2:08 pm

ffishman wrote:Too bad you did not make the Rolling Meadows swap meet. Our club had a table and were almost giving stuff away. Like 6 3700 boxes, a dollar. A bag of floats, 20 in a bag, a dollar, etc Some really good deals

I fully intended on making the trip, but it opened after I start work and ended before I got out :(
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 18, 2019 6:41 am

So much for a minimalist approach. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Mon 18, 2019 7:43 am

Rambler wrote:So much for a minimalist approach. :D

I take a minimalist approach for everything BUT fishing.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 18, 2019 12:21 pm

I tried for years to minimalize on fishing gear. Failed consistently, finally said, "F it"...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Mon 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Yeah, no way to go minimalist for me, usually.

I did just get organized, though. Rods lined if they needed it, rigs tied, leaders tied, lures tied on, and boat all organized and ready to go. I've found I have more than I can fit in the boat, so the obvious solution would be to get a bigger boat, right? :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Here's the finished product on the bigger boxes. I actually had enough room for the 10 boxes I used, I really thought there'd be some spare room! All my soft plastics barely fit into the shoe box sized containers too so it appears I just barely hit the nail on the head :lol:

Image2019-03-20_12-05-30 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Mar Wed 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Woo,
May need to shore up the rear suspension hauling all that gear though with the upcoming wedding a station wagon or minivan may be in your future? :wink:
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Holy crap - that's a lot of gear! I suggest adding an air suspension system to your ride. :D You should compare notes with Mike Son - he's got boxes full of swim jigs. Not sure of what else he carries.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Mar Wed 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks pretty good Woo. Consider a Flambeau double deep satchel for plastics. I used the dividers to divide the type of plastic and labeled as such; craws, creatures, swimbaits, etc.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Flambea ... L4510.html

Rambler wrote:Holy crap - that's a lot of gear! I suggest adding an air suspension system to your ride. :D You should compare notes with Mike Son - he's got boxes full of swim jigs. Not sure of what else he carries.

I've got one 3700 box of jigs. Actually only have three 3700s of tackle and one double deep 3700 for big swimbaits. I have a small tackle collection by the looks of it :lol:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby mike son » Mar Wed 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Oh well I misread, whatever works. I thought you were using shoeboxes not "shoebox size containers" :roll:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Lmao yeah its the plastic containers. One box has worms and creature baits, the other has swimbaits random other stuff.

I mentioned in the rides thread I'm looking to upgrade to the Toyota C-HR. Not a ton more space but a higher ride and it'll do good for what I need it for.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 21, 2019 12:13 am

Woo, good to see you joining the ranks of bait hoarders. I was organized for a couple weeks! Now craps getting moved about as fishing has started
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Thu 21, 2019 7:05 am

You guys make me feel almost normal. I thought I had a shit load of gear but it's clear I'm a total piker. As you age the challenge is remembering what you have & where it is. :(
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wadlo98 » Mar Thu 21, 2019 9:54 am

As a heads up, if you are ever looking to get more boxes, i suggest making a trip to the Plano Outlet store nearby. If you dont have a specific box in mind, they usually have something that will work, and their prices are insanely lower than you will see at BPS or Cabelas. They rotate what stuff they have out from time to time, but generic 3600 and 3700 boxes are almost always out for a buck or two for simple ones, they often have 3700 spinnerbait boxes out, if you get lucky they might have some discounted waterproof boxes out (i have mostly seen 3600s out or 3700 deeps out, if they ever have discounted 3700 regulars, i will buy them out of them). If nothing else, its worth a quick trip to look around on a saturday if the weather turns to shit.
Wadlo98
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Thu 21, 2019 10:14 am

Wadlo98 wrote:As a heads up, if you are ever looking to get more boxes, i suggest making a trip to the Plano Outlet store nearby. If you dont have a specific box in mind, they usually have something that will work, and their prices are insanely lower than you will see at BPS or Cabelas. They rotate what stuff they have out from time to time, but generic 3600 and 3700 boxes are almost always out for a buck or two for simple ones, they often have 3700 spinnerbait boxes out, if you get lucky they might have some discounted waterproof boxes out (i have mostly seen 3600s out or 3700 deeps out, if they ever have discounted 3700 regulars, i will buy them out of them). If nothing else, its worth a quick trip to look around on a saturday if the weather turns to shit.

Good idea! I'll check it out some day. Thanks!
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information