Renew Your Boats Registration

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 17, 2019 8:56 am

Noticed my stickers on my boat were going to expire. That'll make you nervous, especially since its not something you do often because the registration lasts 3 years.

Renewing plates on your vehicle or even boat trailer is something you do annually and you can get new stickers on the spot at a currency exchange or a secretary of state office. I remember last year I received notice by mail my trailer plates were about to expire.

Back to the boat stickers, I did a quick Google search and a quick easy way came up via website. Just make sure you have your registration # and hull ID # handy. Those are located on your old/current registration card. Cost seems the same $18 for 3years.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/boating/pa ... ister.aspx


https://www.il.wildlifelicense.com/index.php
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7575
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby badger75 » Mar Sun 17, 2019 11:31 am

Good info. Thanks.
Does anyone know:
Is the weird, broken, bankrupt state of IL still doing water usage stamps for kayaks?
User avatar
badger75
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 778
Joined: May Fri 12, 2017 10:36 am
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 17, 2019 12:03 pm

badger75 wrote: IL still doing water usage stamps for kayaks?


No, that was repealed last year in June, 2018. So for those who bought one last spring, you got suckered.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7575
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sun 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Ordered online and my boat registration arrived in about a week.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
User avatar
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Jan Mon 17, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Tinley Park

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Ordered online and my boat registration arrived in about a week.



This is excellent news.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7575
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby threeats407 » Mar Sun 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
badger75 wrote: IL still doing water usage stamps for kayaks?


No, that was repealed last year in June, 2018. So for those who bought one last spring, you got suckered.


News to me. Thanks for the update. So I'm guessing nothing in the way of stickers is needed for kayaks anymore.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
User avatar
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Aug Sun 28, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Glenview, Prospect Heights

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 18, 2019 6:38 am

Aux Pleins wrote:No, that was repealed last year in June, 2018. So for those who bought one last spring, you got suckered.

Count me among the suckered. :( At least I only bought a sticker for one of my canoes.

My best friend has a question that pertains to this thread. He's planning his Fall trip to the BWCA & MN requires that if you come from a state that doesn't require stickers you have to buy one of theirs. On the other hand, if you come from a state that requires stickers you don't have to buy one of theirs (must be Minnesota nice). So his question is - can you still get an IL sticker even though they're no longer required?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby joetrain » Mar Mon 18, 2019 7:31 am

Looks like he’s in the clear.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
User avatar
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby ffishman » Mar Mon 18, 2019 7:42 am

Thanks for the heads up. Just checked and mine is good till next JUne.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
User avatar
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: May Mon 10, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Schaumburg

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Mon 18, 2019 8:03 am

threeats407 wrote:


News to me. Thanks for the update. So I'm guessing nothing in the way of stickers is needed for kayaks anymore.


Nope. No stickers for any human powered vessels, canoes, SUP's, paddleboats, etc.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7575
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby WanderOff09 » Mar Mon 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Rambler wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:No, that was repealed last year in June, 2018. So for those who bought one last spring, you got suckered.

Count me among the suckered. :( At least I only bought a sticker for one of my canoes.

My best friend has a question that pertains to this thread. He's planning his Fall trip to the BWCA & MN requires that if you come from a state that doesn't require stickers you have to buy one of theirs. On the other hand, if you come from a state that requires stickers you don't have to buy one of theirs (must be Minnesota nice). So his question is - can you still get an IL sticker even though they're no longer required?


I believe you can still register the canoe in IL. I register mine without a problem. I have a flatback canoe and sometimes put a small motor on it. This requires registration.
User avatar
WanderOff09
Game Fish
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Jan Thu 30, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Channahon

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby badger75 » Mar Mon 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Count me as one who got suckered last year.

Thanks for the updated info. All you folks are great.
User avatar
badger75
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 778
Joined: May Fri 12, 2017 10:36 am
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby polishfly » Mar Mon 18, 2019 9:38 pm

I dunno if you can call it suckered....last year on my first launch in the spring I was asked for my sticker by a forest preserve cop...which I had.
User avatar
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Aug Fri 21, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Arlington Heights, IL

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Mon 18, 2019 10:04 pm

polishfly wrote:I dunno if you can call it suckered....last year on my first launch in the spring I was asked for my sticker by a forest preserve cop...which I had.


Lmao, are you freaking kidding me? Has to be the biggest tool on the force. News of the repeal was widespread well before it went into effect.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7575
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Renew Your Boats Registration

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 19, 2019 7:13 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Lmao, are you freaking kidding me? Has to be the biggest tool on the force. News of the repeal was widespread well before it went into effect.

Yes but from my experience with the cops at the DNR booth at the Schaumburg show they are totally confused about what's going on with their rules & regs. Oh well...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs


Return to General Fishing Questions and Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests