Chicago Fishing Forum banner

So, what's a good time start?

9K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
I've always been a 70°+ weather fisherman, but this year I want to try to start a bit earlier. So, when is a good time to do it without running for hours trying to engage at least single lethargic bass?

#5 ·
Long term weather forecast says April 1st in general. But weather.com keeps down grading the high temps.
Any day it's below or at 32 degrees is a lost day as far as the fishing picking up. But late afternoon on a sunny
day is worth a shot if the wind isn't too bad. It's really about expectations and getting out in nature no matter
what it throws at you.

#6 ·
Not sure if you're ONLY interested in bass fishing, but I generally like to try the lakefront harbors for cohos and browns, this time of year. Early morning and early afternoon have been productive for me, in the past. White twister-tails, spoons, crankbaits, and nightcrawlers under a bobber work for me. If one isn't producing, switch to something else. Changing up can make all the difference. Good luck, and if you go, make sure you have a salmon stamp.

#8 ·
The 2 ponds I was at today had off shore readings of 46 and 45 degrees. Looking at the weather forecast, we'll be tickling that 50° sweet spot by the end of next week. Bait selection is key, though.

There truly isn't much else quite like beating the fairweather fishermen out. Most of my haunts I'll have a whole pond/lake to myself until late April.

#9 ·
I think for a lot of us the cold water period is our favorite (sub 50 degree) You probably have your best chance of hitting a big school or a giant...even better when you get both. Getting out of the house and zenning out with nature all good secondary reasons. I just added the last couple of days catches to my "Lying" post in 'other waters' Temps were 41 Monday and like Woo said around 45 today. Haven't connected on anything big but it's just a matter of time. All 3 days fish were caught on jerks and one came on a Strike King 3XD.

#12 ·
Grain said:
HEDDONFROG said:
All 3 days fish were caught on jerks and one came on a Strike King 3XD.
So something like an X-Rap in naturals colors?
As long as you have good to excellent water clarity an X-Rap (#8 & #10) will be fine. As would the newer Rapala Shadow Rap & Shadow Rap Shad jerks. I just ordered a couple of the Rap Shads because they're slow floaters and will work better fishing from shore and casting to shallow flats. The X-Rap dives too deep for 3 or 4' flats and the Shadow Rap is the slow sinker, same problem. If the places you fish have dirty water check out Scipio24's thread "Favorite springtime setups" in "General fishing questions" for other ideas

#13 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
As long as you have good to excellent water clarity an X-Rap (#8 & #10) will be fine. As would the newer Rapala Shadow Rap & Shadow Rap Shad jerks. I just ordered a couple of the Rap Shads because they're slow floaters and will work better fishing from shore and casting to shallow flats. The X-Rap dives too deep for 3 or 4' flats and the Shadow Rap is the slow sinker, same problem. If the places you fish have dirty water check out Scipio24's thread "Favorite springtime setups" in "General fishing questions" for other ideas
Well, I picked a jointed shad today. I know it probably runs a bit too deep for my ponds, but I'll try it anyway. I was planning to hit Dick's or BassPro one of these days, I'll get some shallow running jerbaits there.

#14 ·
Grain said:
HEDDONFROG said:
As long as you have good to excellent water clarity an X-Rap (#8 & #10) will be fine. As would the newer Rapala Shadow Rap & Shadow Rap Shad jerks. I just ordered a couple of the Rap Shads because they're slow floaters and will work better fishing from shore and casting to shallow flats
Well, I picked a jointed shad today. I know it probably runs a bit too deep for my ponds, but I'll try it anyway. I was planning to hit Dick's or BassPro one of these days, I'll get some shallow running jerbaits there.
Shadow Rap Shads came in today. I'll try and get out for an hour tomorrow and try it out.

Only $6.66 on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapala-Fishing ... Sw3gJZMF1D

Attachments

#16 ·
Grain said:
You like the color? I was thinking more along the lines of silver and bone.
I do. Pro blue is probably the most popular jerk color sold by all manufacturers...it is however my first one. I did get an opportunity to fish it today (sadly was unsuccessful) and it looks great in the water both in action and the color. Dives to about 3' with 12lb mono and is a very slow floater. Almost too slow. It would probably suspend using flouro. I was fishing in gin clear water for the first time this year, so it was easy to see it at work. Although the bait looks opaque in the photo, this color is very translucent in sunlight. I would not use it for stained water or dark overcast days. There's nothing wrong with your color choices. Some form of silver probably makes up 50% of my jerkbaits. Never tried a bone color but no reason why they wouldn't work. Closest I have to bone are whites & pearl whites and they're the first ones I tie on if I'm dealing with stained water or those dark cloudy days and especially if I'm dealing with both conditions, lol

#19 ·
I have to say, if you can get out to fish, and there's no lightening, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc., do it. Just adjust your expectations (size, number, etc.), use the time to learn something, and have fun. I do prefer if the weather is in a comfortable range, for sure, and if the Solunar calendar says it's not a good day, but the conditions are good, I'll fish.

The chatter bait is good right now. Target the transition areas, points and channels. If you bring up green vegetation, that's a good sign. When the sun has been hitting in skinny water, don't pass up throwing a finesse jig or a Ned Rig.

#20 ·
I stepped out for a little while today, mostly to wet the line before it's April. After about 30 minutes I could not feel my hands and called it quits. It should hit the upper 50's on Tuesday, may be I will give it another go then. Also, are the water levels really as low as they appear to me?

#23 ·
Woohoodude11 said:
Grain said:
Also, are the water levels really as low as they appear to me?
The couple places I've gone to have been a tad swollen. Literally by an inch or two. Haven't seen anywhere "low" yet.
What I mean is - they look normal, summer-like. I kind of expected the ponds near the DPR to be flooded.

Aux Pleins said:
Could of broke records but I called it quits after 5 dozen
Fishing stories.

#24 ·
I'd believe it Aux, he's got no reason to mess around Grain. Bass were all over a lipless Thursday at a dirty little pond in the evening. Bass chasing it all the way to my feet. One even jumped half out the water as I pulled the lure out. Couldn't buy a bite liftings and fluttering. They were aggressive for the water temp, wanted a steady retrieve with pumps and upward pops.

#25 ·
Grain said:
Woohoodude11 said:
Grain said:
Also, are the water levels really as low as they appear to me?
The couple places I've gone to have been a tad swollen. Literally by an inch or two. Haven't seen anywhere "low" yet.
What I mean is - they look normal, summer-like. I kind of expected the ponds near the DPR to be flooded.
Then you are 100% correct lol.
The most noticeable "flooded" spot I saw at Old School was my favorite spot to stand when frogging. During the dog days, its bone dry. After an average rain its just muddy. Yesterday it was under an inch of water. Same thing with my pike spot at Wright Woods.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
No stories Grain, they were feeding hard yesterday afternoon. Honestly didnt matter what you threw at them they would bite. I'm finally a believer of the wind blown shore theory, that's where the every cast action was. I throw big baits and missed many tail grabbers, but still caught a small towns worth of dink bass. I was counting on 2 or 3 fish, but got about 200 hits instead.

IMG_20190330_3122.jpg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.