Random Fishing Report (rolling thread)

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Random Fishing Report (rolling thread)

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Sun 07, 2019 10:19 am

First Lake Michigan smallie of the year. 17"

Averaged about 42 degree water temps. Caught on a 1/16th oz jig

Caught some cohos too. Tough day. COLD water
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Random Fishing Report (rolling thread)

Postby badger75 » Apr Sun 07, 2019 11:08 am

nice!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 07, 2019 11:09 am

Awesome Ted! 42 degrees although very cold is a nice bump from the Waukegan area. Monday it was 38* and even a week prior to that it was 37-38.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Dr. Utssab » Apr Sun 07, 2019 11:58 am

Nice work!

They’ve been boating some big smallies consistantly in Indiana the last few weeks.
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Apr Sun 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Nice. Pretty fish.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Sun 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Not much beats the beauty of a lake small jaw. Amazing how different they look from river smallies. Can't wait for those beauts to move on into the harbors.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Mon 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Paul! Very cool to see a B-T fishing report. Thats great you were able to hook up with a smallie in 42 temps. 1/16oz jig? ugh, that had to be soooo slooooow. Since I see you mentioned "rolling thread" can we expect more LM reports? You need to be our resident LM correspondent. I've been waiting for shore temps to hit 45 to pound the pavement on foot...looks like it did over the weekend. I've been rolling some ideas about a location that I'd like to bounce off you. I'll PM you later this evening. Thanks for posting this!
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Tue 09, 2019 6:17 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Paul! Very cool to see a B-T fishing report. Thats great you were able to hook up with a smallie in 42 temps. 1/16oz jig? ugh, that had to be soooo slooooow. Since I see you mentioned "rolling thread" can we expect more LM reports? You need to be our resident LM correspondent. I've been waiting for shore temps to hit 45 to pound the pavement on foot...looks like it did over the weekend. I've been rolling some ideas about a location that I'd like to bounce off you. I'll PM you later this evening. Thanks for posting this!

I'll throw up an occasional picture here and there. Probably do what Ron suggested and just post nice fish in order to misrepresent what king of fisherman I am. :D
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Tue 09, 2019 9:43 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:I'll throw up an occasional picture here and there. Probably do what Ron suggested and just post nice fish in order to misrepresent what king of fisherman I am. :D

Oh that Ron.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Sun 12, 2019 10:25 am

Fished Lake Geneva the last 2 days for my club tournament. TOUGH!! Temps 44-47 and with the cold front we had very inactive fish. 3 bass bites in 17 hours. All my fish came on a jig and I threw a bunch of baits on Friday. I did catch a 5.22 lber and another keeper to take 2nd place and big bass on Saturday. The winner also caught two fish. Caught the small keeper on the 2nd cast of the day. Only 4 guys out of 16 caught fish and we have some good sticks in our club. Had a 3ish lb smallmouth up to the boat during the practice but tried to flip it in the boat without getting out the net and my jig came out.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Mon 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Damn, a 5.2. Nice as hell. I'd definitely fish in those conditions for a crack at a 5. Great job in the tourney too
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » May Tue 14, 2019 8:09 am

what graph do you use up front?
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Tue 14, 2019 12:57 pm

LOL- the little one was 14"

IMG_0014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Tue 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:LOL- the little one was 14"

Largemouth?! I thought you meant a 5.2 smallie, pffst haha Jk. I cannot buy a 5+ So far this year. I’d take a 5lb carp at this point. You know how we have our annual goals early in the year? Yeah well mine was 15 4’s, 5 5’s and a 6+...I’ve got 12 4’s already this year without a freakin 5. Historically it’s been 2 5’s per 10 4’s. Took me until November 28th last year to get my twelfth 4. No idea. On a more broad sense, I’ve heard and seen more giant bass caught this year from northern Illinois than any year. 4 legit 8’s, numerous 7’s and a bunch of 5’s & 6’s. Wish I’d gotten on that train. Only reason I can think of for the phenomenon is a warm early to mid April followed by one spawn halting cold front after another and the big girls kept eating and getting bigger. Been a crazy year so far
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Wed 15, 2019 5:20 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote:LOL- the little one was 14"

Largemouth?! I thought you meant a 5.2 smallie, pffst haha Jk. I cannot buy a 5+ So far this year. I’d take a 5lb carp at this point. You know how we have our annual goals early in the year? Yeah well mine was 15 4’s, 5 5’s and a 6+...I’ve got 12 4’s already this year without a freakin 5. Historically it’s been 2 5’s per 10 4’s. Took me until November 28th last year to get my twelfth 4. No idea. On a more broad sense, I’ve heard and seen more giant bass caught this year from northern Illinois than any year. 4 legit 8’s, numerous 7’s and a bunch of 5’s & 6’s. Wish I’d gotten on that train. Only reason I can think of for the phenomenon is a warm early to mid April followed by one spawn halting cold front after another and the big girls kept eating and getting bigger. Been a crazy year so far

The 5+ lb smallies come in the summer from up north. Got 3 trips lined up!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Sat 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Caught several 16" bass this morning and had a guy just about camp out next to me for roughly a half hour just about a cast-distance away. LOL- we were the only two boats on the lake at the time. Guess I need to get ready for the bent-pole patterning I'll encounter at Grand Traverse Bay in a couple weeks.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Sat 25, 2019 8:21 pm

What lake were you on? Surely the idiot didn’t do that on Lake Michigan?
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » May Wed 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Nice collection of fish. That 5.2 is a beast.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jun Fri 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Just crushed the smallies on Grand Traverse Bay this past Saturday. My best 5 would have gone 24 lbs. My first 3 were 5.2, 5.0, and 4.9 so I weighed my next biggest 2 to see what I would finish with (4.2 and 3.8.). My next limit of fish would have been 15 lbs or so. I caught probably 25 fish or so. Didn’t get on the water till 9 AM and didn’t catch a fish till 11. I’ve had days where I caught more fish but in terms of a sack, 24 is my highest weight. And the DNR creel recorder in the parking lot said the consensus among bass guys was that it was a slow day- that made me feel even better.

Water temps were 54-56 degrees with bright sunlight and increasing SE wind during the day. The females were fat and full of eggs.

Now Sunday was a different story. There were 4 other boats around me and the fish were spooky. Things were very slow until the sun came out. For about an hour they were feeding and I caught 6 in the 2-3 lb range. The guys around me were catching them too. Then it went cloudy and the bite stopped for all of us and eventually I had the entire area to myself. I tried a bunch of different techniques since I knew fish were in the area but no takers. I’ve got to find some answers on this one. Might try out Charlevoix since those fish are spawning. Nothing beats Great Lakes smallies!

Because of lousy Wifi, I could not post what I typed so let me add to it. Tuesday and Wednesday witnessed more excellent fishing. Caught several more 4 lbers on swimbaits, tubes, and a chatterbait. By Wednesday, temps warmed up to 60 and fish started making beds. I know I am in the right spot since KVD was on the water both days and he was fishing my spots. On Tuesday he had Martin Truex and Johnny Morris with him and on Wednesday he was filming a show.

Friday was another epic day with a 5.4 lber and another at 5.1. With several others in the 4.5 lb range, I would have had a bag of 23 lbs or so. I caught 25 or so fish with 1 being a 12” and everything else being 16” or more. Yes, it was spectacular and I am not embellishing. Most fish came on a swimbait but a tube and an A-rig did some damage. Water temps were 52 degrees after a massive cold front with an inch of rain moved through. All of these big fish are females, thick and full of eggs. I am starting to become concerned that this trip is going to spoil me for when I come back to Illinois.

Smallie 2019 GTB 2.jpg

smallie 2019 GTB.jpg

Smallie banana.jpg
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Fri 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Oh my lord :shock:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Busse Jim » Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Oh my lord

:shock: :shock: What he said!!

Ha,the Banana myth Debunked! :lol:

Great random post!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Jesus H Smist
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Jun Sat 15, 2019 12:56 am

Wow!
A lifetimes worth of big smallmouth for most...... In 1 weeks worth of fishing.

Nicely done.

Bassin' Ted wrote: tried a bunch of different techniques since I knew fish were in the area but no takers. I’ve got to find some answers on this one.

Ever throw hair jigs?
On a # of occasions over the last few weeks, I have encountered situations where the smallies snubbed my tried & true plastic baits but couldnt stay off a hair jig. Im observant of this only because Ive about run out of hair jigs & my vise & materials are 1700 miles away! For the last 1.5 weeks, all my outings have started out trying to peddle plastic to the fish hoping theyll eat that instead of the <than 5 hair jigs I have left. If the fish arent reacting to plastic I'll risk a hair jig & on a few occasions, this lead to a flury that would last about as long as the jig stayed out of the snags or out of the pike & muskies mouths (that usually is not a long time where Ive been fishing lately).
Not an end-all be-all, but I continue to find more & more situations where fish that ignore my high-confidence presentations seem more than willing to eat hair with vigor.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:58 am

Amazing collection of smallies.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 15, 2019 8:21 am

HOLY, HOLY CRAAAAP!!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jun Sat 15, 2019 9:41 am

BA DOW! smallie smackdown.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:28 pm

cletedius wrote:
Bassin' Ted wrote: tried a bunch of different techniques since I knew fish were in the area but no takers. I’ve got to find some answers on this one.

Ever throw hair jigs?
On a # of occasions over the last few weeks, I have encountered situations where the smallies snubbed my tried & true plastic baits but couldnt stay off a hair jig. Im observant of this only because Ive about run out of hair jigs & my vise & materials are 1700 miles away! For the last 1.5 weeks, all my outings have started out trying to peddle plastic to the fish hoping theyll eat that instead of the <than 5 hair jigs I have left. If the fish arent reacting to plastic I'll risk a hair jig & on a few occasions, this lead to a flury that would last about as long as the jig stayed out of the snags or out of the pike & muskies mouths (that usually is not a long time where Ive been fishing lately).
Not an end-all be-all, but I continue to find more & more situations where fish that ignore my high-confidence presentations seem more than willing to eat hair with vigor.

Great suggestion. I’m gonna try that. Thanks.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am just hoping I can get my dad on some of these fish when he comes up here next week.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Jun Sat 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Great write up and sick fishing man those are some monsters!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Mon 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Killer smallie smackdown Paul!! You're definitely ruined after a trip like that. Rare as hell to catch a 20lb bag in southern LM. In addition to the hair jigs that Pat mentioned, try 3/4 & 1oz Dark Sleepers. even at the depths you were fishing. They have a lot of lift and sink slowly. I work them just like people use swinging football heads, like a crankbait with the occasional hop like a goby would hop up. 3" or 3.8", they both work.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Mon 17, 2019 8:57 pm

P.s...surprised no one here mentioned the curse of the banana
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jun Mon 17, 2019 10:48 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:P.s...surprised no one here mentioned the curse of the banana

Busse Jim did. :thumbup:

Busse Jim wrote::shock: :shock: What he said!!

Ha,the Banana myth Debunked! :lol:

Great random post!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Jun Tue 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Dang dude! Nice catchin! Pretty crazy to think that KVD was fishing the same spots as you.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Sat 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Here’s the pic of their outing
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jun Sun 23, 2019 9:23 pm

My second week of fishing in Grand Traverse Bay produced a number of quality fish. Caught a 4+ lber every day including Thursday in which I caught 7 and a bunch of others. But things did slow down from the unbelievable fishing the previous week. What I found interesting is the number of fishermen that chase spawning fish. My first week was heavy prespawn and I had a lot of company in the areas I was fishing. I was fishing a 300 yard stretch or so that I have learned is a lot more well-known than I thought. But as soon as the temps went up to the high 50s and the bass started spawning, the majority of bass fishermen went and fished the beds. I have fished beds before and it can be fun but I always catch my biggest fish either in prespawn or postspawn. The biggest bedding fish I have caught is an 18er" and I have been around a bunch of boats fishing beds and I have never seen someone catch a trophy doing that. I'm just happy that so many fisherman leave my favorite areas in order to chase spawners.

Anyways, I did try a hair jig as Cletedius suggested and I caught a fish on it on my 2nd cast. But my casting distance was awful and I didn't want to change to the right rod so I put it down. I did learn this- P-Line Tactical sucks for its abrasion-resistance. It is fine for throwing fast-moving baits or using it for a leader around weeds in a largemouth lake but for grinding a jig into rocks, it is awful. I went to 8 lb Gamma Touch as a leader and that is some great line.

I did get my dad a nice 3.5-4 lber. It was his PB smallie. I brought my kids out for a boat ride and was able to quickly catch a fish for each of them to net. They thought it was great.

Dad GTB.jpg

GTB Kids.JPG
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 24, 2019 7:43 am

Well done ted, sharing the action with family is top notch on your part.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Jul Wed 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Amazing work.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Bassin' Ted » Sep Sun 08, 2019 9:01 am

Never caught one like this before. Looks as if the scales grew over the eye socket.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Mon 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Chernobyl, Zion, Braidwood, 3 mile island
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Sep Tue 10, 2019 5:16 am

Skifish1 wrote:Chernobyl, Zion, Braidwood, 3 mile island

Yep- I was at Braidwood.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Oct Mon 21, 2019 7:59 am

Got out on the Lake for most of Saturday. Beautiful day to be out- mids 40s to start and got to around 70. Water was in the low 50s with relatively poor visibility. Caught 6 smallies in the 2-3 lb range and 2 Lakers. Caught everything on tubes, swimbaits, and a dropshot. Should of had a better day but never really got anything dialed in.

thumbnail_IMG_3516.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3548.jpg
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Oct Mon 21, 2019 8:01 am

Nice outing. Sounds like a good day to me.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Mon 21, 2019 8:40 am

Sounds like a good day to me. How is the fight from those lakers?
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Bassin' Ted » Oct Mon 21, 2019 11:26 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Sounds like a good day to me. How is the fight from those lakers?

They fight pretty good. Both I caught were around that size. Neither took out drag. I figure the smallie action will last another couple weekends and then I'll fish for lakers the rest of the winter.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information