How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby catchafew » Apr Wed 17, 2019 12:59 pm

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get my first real fishing boat (used of course) in the 16' or a little over class that'll hold 3 adults and go 20+ mph, open floor plan, V hull, aluminum type boat. Attached are pictures of some boats I'm considering or boats in this class.

boat with a 60hp tiller.
Lund_1675_Adventure.jpg


boat with a 40hp tiller.
Alumicraft_165_Navigator.jpg



My dilemma is this truck/suv will be my daily driving to work car (2 hours of driving just like Chicago, that sucks but at it's least rural driving) so I'd like it to be more fuel efficient. I'm going to look at car pooling options from this large employer. Right now my primary ride is way too big with a gas guzzling 6.0 v8 GMC 1500HD (11/13 mpg) but it helped pulling larger trailers/trailers during the move that U-Haul wouldn't rent out to trucks under 3/4 tons . My guess from a little casual research is total weight of towing (boat, trailer, motor, batteries, gear) will be around 2,000 pounds? Please speak up if my guess about total weight way too conservative.

Being the cheap ass that I am, I'm hoping I could get away with a used 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacoma, Colorado, perhaps the 5 cylinder Colorado. I'm looking more at a truck vs. a SUV, many SUV don't seem as capable on muddy, rutted roads, driving on snow covered ice as much with lack of ground clearance, etc... I most times prefer AWD over 4x4 most of the times as you shouldn't do constant driving at high speeds in 4x4 but push comes to shove 4x4 is more capable when you get stuck. Most fishing trips will be 100 miles from home, not going up steep, long stretches of road, 98% flat highway driving. Seems like these smaller 4 cylinder trucks get combined around 20 mpg. I'm checking the towing specs online and it seems like most 4 cylinder Colorado trucks have the rated towing capacity and all 4 cylinder Tacoma trucks do at 3,500 lbs. I know the latest compact trucks are awesome with power and are fuel efficient but I' m not spending $30K or $40k+ on a truck and an expensive turbo that's going to burn out at 100k miles. I'm not a speed freak, most of the rural highways up here are 55/65 mph, not doing 75/80+ mph on the interstate.

Is there something I'm not considering or being realistic about? Do I need a 'towing package' with trans cooler, etc?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Mar Sat 05, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: Downers Grove

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Wed 17, 2019 1:36 pm

catchafew wrote:I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get my first real fishing boat (used of course) in the 16' or a little over class that'll hold 3 adults and go 20+ mph, open floor plan, V hull, aluminum type boat. Attached are pictures of some boats I'm considering or boats in this class.

boat with a 60hp tiller.
Lund_1675_Adventure.jpg


boat with a 40hp tiller.
Alumicraft_165_Navigator.jpg



My dilemma is this truck/suv will be my daily driving to work car (2 hours of driving just like Chicago, that sucks but at it's least rural driving) so I'd like it to be more fuel efficient. I'm going to look at car pooling options from this large employer. Right now my primary ride is way too big with a gas guzzling 6.0 v8 GMC 1500HD (11/13 mpg) but it helped pulling larger trailers/trailers during the move that U-Haul wouldn't rent out to trucks under 3/4 tons . My guess from a little casual research is total weight of towing (boat, trailer, motor, batteries, gear) will be around 2,000 pounds? Please speak up if my guess about total weight way too conservative.

Being the cheap ass that I am, I'm hoping I could get away with a used 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacoma, Colorado, perhaps the 5 cylinder Colorado. I'm looking more at a truck vs. a SUV, many SUV don't seem as capable on muddy, rutted roads, driving on snow covered ice as much with lack of ground clearance, etc... I most times prefer AWD over 4x4 most of the times as you shouldn't do constant driving at high speeds in 4x4 but push comes to shove 4x4 is more capable when you get stuck. Most fishing trips will be 100 miles from home, not going up steep, long stretches of road, 98% flat highway driving. Seems like these smaller 4 cylinder trucks get combined around 20 mpg. I'm checking the towing specs online and it seems like most 4 cylinder Colorado trucks have the rated towing capacity and all 4 cylinder Tacoma trucks do at 3,500 lbs. I know the latest compact trucks are awesome with power and are fuel efficient but I' m not spending $30K or $40k+ on a truck and an expensive turbo that's going to burn out at 100k miles. I'm not a speed freak, most of the rural highways up here are 55/65 mph, not doing 75/80+ mph on the interstate.

Is there something I'm not considering or being realistic about? Do I need a 'towing package' with trans cooler, etc?

Thanks


I have a 17' aluminum semi-deep V. It weighs 1800-2000lbs with the trailer, and loaded down with motor, gear, and a full tank of gas.. I have a 2012 Dodge Journey AWD with the 285hp Pentastar V6, and it barely realizes the boat is back there. The towing capacity on mine is around 3000lbs, IIRC. On the highway, I average 17-19MPG towing the boat, and about 24-25MPG without, all depending on the road, obviously.

Any of those small trucks with a 3500lb capacity could probably tow it just fine, I just don't know if they should. Personally, I wouldn't tow with less than a v6, especially those distances. I feel like you're going to destroy that 4 cylinder prematurely by towing that many miles on a small motor. I think the Tacoma is rated around 160hp, and that just doesn't seem like very much for towing... You may also run into issues with a 4 cylinder running at too high of RPMs while towing, so you may need other things like a trans cooler and such. I just don't know. I'm the type of guy who will just refuse to tow something with a 4 cylinder. If I'm going to tow, it's going to be a V6 or bigger. You have to think in terms of being able to pass other vehicles if necessary, also, and things like that. The strain that type of stuff will put on the motor, etc. Also think in terms of, yes, a 4 cylinder mid-sized truck may get great gas mileage, but towing a boat, it may be worse than if you had a V6 in it, just because of how much harder the smaller, less powerful motor has to work to tow.

All that said, I don't have a "towing package" on my Journey. Just AWD, and a receiver/hitch that I put in myself. Never had any issues with temps.
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby cletedius » Apr Wed 17, 2019 3:45 pm

My suggestion in a nutshell:
Go with a 1/2 ton sized truck/SUV. Any engine they offer in a 1/2 ton will have enough power to pull what you need it to. I know it sucks to fuel such a pig, but, if you tow enough miles, sooner or later your likely to encounter that "1" situation where your more than grateful for having a vehicle is more overkill than adequate. Think "deer jumping on highway on a rainy night".
I think if you figured 2000-2500lbs, your close enough.

I towed that same size boat for several years with both a midsize p/u(dodge dakota 2wd) & a fullsized 1/2ton (ram 2wd). Both pulled it just fine. Stopping it, especially in a hurry, was very different between the 2, however. Even though the dakotas tow rating was well over 7000lbs, my 2000lb boat/trailer was pushing the edge of my comfort-level in enough situations that Id gladly spend the difference in fuel for piece of mind.
IMO, "realistic" tow-ratings are about 1/2 what the automakers claim.
If I was getting a small 6 or 4cyl to tow (with auto-trans), I would want a trans-cooler for sure, but my real preference would be a manual trans. They are a pain in the a**, but bulletproof, and really help in not beating the crap out of a little motor, IMO. A few people I know have towed a ton of miles with 4cyl toyota trucks. Slow & gutless, but once youve made peace with going 0-60 in 10 minutes, it seems to work fine. The manual helps keep the engine from winding up (when its not needed).
User avatar
cletedius
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Oct Sat 18, 2008 2:14 am

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Wed 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Nice boat- my dad has a 16' Alumacraft tiller and it is a very functional boat. It might be the same model as you posted. I agree that the boat package is around 2000 lbs and that would be 57% of the maximum towing capacity. A lot of people state not tow heavily over 75% of the maximum so you are well below that mark. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to tow that boat on a regular basis with a 4-cylinder Tacoma. I am a firm believer in Toyota's construction and reliability. I researched extensively about towing with my V6 Tacoma before buying my current boat and I heard nothing but positives about its performance with towing all sorts of bassboats. It handles my 19' glass boat just fine. I had a 4 cylinder Toyota truck a couple trucks ago and used to tow a 14' tin boat. The truck towed that boat fine as well. Now I won't say the same about the Colorado since I don't have any experience with them. Good luck.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
User avatar
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Jan Mon 17, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Tinley Park

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby 41x9hirschj » Apr Wed 17, 2019 7:31 pm

SUV's with good tires are better off-road than a truck, but trucks are more practical if you're going to carry a bunch of "big" shit. Jeep Grand Cherokee might be worth a look.
41x9hirschj
Fishing Fanatic
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Oct Mon 03, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: South suburbs

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby poygan54940 » Apr Wed 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Have no problems towing a similar boat via a Ford Escape w/ a 2.0 Ecoboost v4 AWD

Sounds like you really want a pickup. Look for at least 200+ horses and 250+ torque.
poygan54940
Minnow
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Jul Sun 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby FloridaRigger » Apr Wed 17, 2019 11:32 pm

I pulled my 1650 Lund Rebel Xl with 60HP (about 2000lbs) with a 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive Suzuki Equator (rebadged Nissan Frontier) for several years with no problems. I averaged about 19.5MPG in my daily commuting and about 14-15 towing. it actually was better at stopping than my new 4WD, 6cyl Traverse is. Cant go wrong with a Tacoma or Frontier IMO. frontiers will be a lot cheaper because tacomas have a ridiculous following and resale value. the previous generation GMC canyons and Chevy colorados arent as nice as the japanese midsize trucks. you definitely dont need a full size truck to pull a boat like that
User avatar
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Mar Tue 08, 2011 1:30 am
Location: Lake County

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 18, 2019 7:12 am

catchafew wrote:Being the cheap ass that I am

Another non-dues paying member of the AACB!!

Have you looked into a pre-2012 AWD Ford Escape? We have one & I think it would pull your boat just fine. Reason I suggest pre-2012 is they don't have turbos. Ours gets 30 mpg on the highway.

Good luck!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby ffishman » Apr Thu 18, 2019 8:39 am

As pointed out, some guys have done it. One time I had to move one of my boats, a 28 ft twin engine Searay. All I had to use was my full size bronco with a v8. I was able to pull it ok, but stopping was another thing. I did it a couple of times and that was too much. I would not pull with a 4 cylinder. True it can be done, but can it mess up the engine?? If it does you may be buying another truck sooner than you think. "Pay me now, of pay me later" as the saying goes. Good luck with what ever your decision is.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
User avatar
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: May Mon 10, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Schaumburg

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby catchafew » Apr Thu 18, 2019 9:42 am

Rambler wrote:Another non-dues paying member of the AACB!!
ASCB?
User avatar
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Mar Sat 05, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: Downers Grove

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 18, 2019 9:49 am

catchafew wrote:ASCB?

Nope. AACB - Amalgamated Association of Cheap Bastards.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 18, 2019 10:22 am

ffishman wrote:As pointed out, some guys have done it. One time I had to move one of my boats, a 28 ft twin engine Searay. All I had to use was my full size bronco with a v8. I was able to pull it ok, but stopping was another thing. I did it a couple of times and that was too much. I would not pull with a 4 cylinder. True it can be done, but can it mess up the engine?? If it does you may be buying another truck sooner than you think. "Pay me now, of pay me later" as the saying goes. Good luck with what ever your decision is.


I'm 100% with you on this, like I said in my previous post above. I wouldn't tow a boat with a 4 cylinder. You're gonna destroy the engine a lot quicker, and be buying a new vehicle a lot sooner than expected, IMO. You may even eat more gas because the 4 cylinder has to work that much harder, at higher RPMs, to tow, than a V6 would. The V6 trucks are so economical these days... it's worth it to go V6. Especially if you don't mind an SUV, or having a full size truck with a V6 instead of a V8.

Catchafew,

If you do some research, the 4 cylinders in trucks nowadays offer roughly 1mpg better in city and on highway than the V6 options. They have made motors so economical now, that your best bet is a V6, honestly. Here's a link with the 9 most fuel efficient trucks on the market, and their ratings for each motor as far as MPG. I'd 100% go V6 and sacrifice the 1MPG. This number basically translates all the way across all 9 vehicles in this link. It's literally 1MPG between the 4 and 6 for pretty much every model truck.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/mos ... ent-trucks
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Thu 18, 2019 11:29 am

ffishman wrote:As pointed out, some guys have done it. One time I had to move one of my boats, a 28 ft twin engine Searay. All I had to use was my full size bronco with a v8. I was able to pull it ok, but stopping was another thing. I did it a couple of times and that was too much. I would not pull with a 4 cylinder. True it can be done, but can it mess up the engine?? If it does you may be buying another truck sooner than you think. "Pay me now, of pay me later" as the saying goes. Good luck with what ever your decision is.


I hear that. I towed a 16.5' deep V 140 miles and back with the small, pre-Tacoma Toyota truck from the 90s and I did not like that one bit. Did that once and bought a full size truck soon thereafter.

Catchafew- I would go to national forums and pose this question and get a lot more input. If you narrow it down to a specific truck, go to a national forum of truck owners and ask what they tow. Personally, I'd want information from people who have firsthand experience towing with the truck. That's what I did with my Tacoma and I am happy with the decision I made.

But I also agree with SmalliesNEyes that a V6 SUV might be the best option in terms of MPGs + towing capacity. Unless you just want a truck.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
User avatar
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Jan Mon 17, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Tinley Park

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 18, 2019 11:58 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:
ffishman wrote:As pointed out, some guys have done it. One time I had to move one of my boats, a 28 ft twin engine Searay. All I had to use was my full size bronco with a v8. I was able to pull it ok, but stopping was another thing. I did it a couple of times and that was too much. I would not pull with a 4 cylinder. True it can be done, but can it mess up the engine?? If it does you may be buying another truck sooner than you think. "Pay me now, of pay me later" as the saying goes. Good luck with what ever your decision is.


I hear that. I towed a 16.5' deep V 140 miles and back with the small, pre-Tacoma Toyota truck from the 90s and I did not like that one bit. Did that once and bought a full size truck soon thereafter.

Catchafew- I would go to national forums and pose this question and get a lot more input. If you narrow it down to a specific truck, go to a national forum of truck owners and ask what they tow. Personally, I'd want information from people who have firsthand experience towing with the truck. That's what I did with my Tacoma and I am happy with the decision I made.

But I also agree with SmalliesNEyes that a V6 SUV might be the best option in terms of MPGs + towing capacity. Unless you just want a truck.


I really want a truck, but I'm heavily debating my next vehicle being a V8 version of an SUV, like a hemi V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Thu 18, 2019 12:56 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
I really want a truck, but I'm heavily debating my next vehicle being a V8 version of an SUV, like a hemi V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.


That sound nice. A buddy of mine has a Grand Cherokee and he loves it. I have often thought about an SUV since I don't haul anything and I could camp out of one. If the 4Runner didn't have just 5000 lbs of towing capacity I would get one. So I am now waiting for the redesigned Tundra to come out and then another year for them to work out the kinks. So about 2 more years of wait time. I am hearing rumors about the fuel mileage going up significantly. Right now the Tundra is dreadful on gas.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
User avatar
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Jan Mon 17, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Tinley Park

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:
I really want a truck, but I'm heavily debating my next vehicle being a V8 version of an SUV, like a hemi V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.


That sound nice. A buddy of mine has a Grand Cherokee and he loves it. I have often thought about an SUV since I don't haul anything and I could camp out of one. If the 4Runner didn't have just 5000 lbs of towing capacity I would get one. So I am now waiting for the redesigned Tundra to come out and then another year for them to work out the kinks. So about 2 more years of wait time. I am hearing rumors about the fuel mileage going up significantly. Right now the Tundra is dreadful on gas.


Looks nice, too. Performs just as nice.(I've driven a few.) I can get one certified pre-owned, loaded, for like $35k with around 20-30k miles on it. I don't buy anything brand new anymore. It's pointless, IMO. If I got a full-size truck, loaded, certified pre-owned, with the same mileage it's going to cost me $50k. The truck has the nice convenience of being able to move/transport/haul big stuff, but it just makes more sense for the AWD/4x4 SUV.
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby grems » Apr Thu 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Catchafew, first of all congratulations on finding a new job, I know you were searching last year and I'm glad you connected, hope it's right for you.

You probably thought about this already, but if your current ride is right for towing, why not pick up a cheap beater for commuting only? More for insurance and plates, but best of both worlds if you have the space for parking.
grems
Game Fish
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Oct Tue 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: How much truck/suv to pull a 16' boat with a 60hp?

Postby cletedius » Apr Thu 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:If the 4Runner didn't have just 5000 lbs of towing capacity I would get one. So I am now waiting for the redesigned Tundra to come out and then another year for them to work out the kinks.


Never quite got why toyota changed the original tundra to the current monsterous-sized version. The original seemed to fill a niche between mid & full-sized nicely.

Mike, its a shame that they seem to just be coming to U.S. market in recent years & therefore havent made their way into the used market (AKA affordable!), but a tiny 4 or 5cyl diesel would easily pull off what your asking of it, & quite possibly do so @ 30+mpg when not towing. The gas vs diesel arguement is a different conversation than it was pre-2007, but your needs(high-mileage commutes & occasional need for low-end torque) may justify a case for going diesel.
User avatar
cletedius
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Oct Sat 18, 2008 2:14 am


Return to General Fishing Questions and Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests