Do you feel it in the air?

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Do you feel it in the air?

Postby Phil6 » Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:58 am

Two ponds I drive by every day are fully locked up, no temps above freezing until Thursday/Friday... single digit lows tonight.. dare I say I'll be out there testing ice tomorrow and thursday?

I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Do you feel it in the air?

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Tue 12, 2019 1:42 pm

4 more months of this, thats hard to believe :shock:

As for safe ice, not for me. I need 4+, I dont mess around with 2 or 3 inches.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:01 pm

It's really ridiculous I mean looking forward there is no reprieve from this over the coming weeks. It's insane...
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Nov Tue 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:As for safe ice, not for me. I need 4+, I dont mess around with 2 or 3 inches.

I plan on doing what I did last year and go out on the really early stuff but stay within 10 ft of shore, wear safety spikes, float suit, no electronics etc.

My youthful ignorance finds some sort of baseless pride in being "one of the first out" every year, I cant help it. :lol:

That being said, I wouldnt go out on any "big water" this early, local ponds dont scare me as much as they probably should
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Michalski » Nov Tue 12, 2019 5:10 pm

I have been planning on getting into ice fishing for many years now...hopefully this is the year :!:
Michalski
Pan Fish

Postby bobberwatcher » Nov Tue 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Yes, I do feel it in the air which is why I slather on the coppertone, drink fake margaritas and go into denial till spring.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Nov Tue 12, 2019 7:22 pm

It won't last. Might get this weekend out of it. Supposed to be in the mid 40s next week. I'll wait until it locks up for real before venturing out.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Tue 12, 2019 8:15 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:I. Supposed to be in the mid 40s next week.

I got a fishing boner when I read that. Been dying to get the jonboat out for one last good river run. If I get one bite it will be a success in my eyes :D
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby mike son » Nov Tue 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Time to hibernate
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Nov Tue 12, 2019 10:35 pm

So frustrating. Things were looking so good here in the Preserve lakes. Sudden water temperature drops will kill the fishing. If I can get out next week it will be time to fish bloodworms, light lines and very small hooks. Tight lines.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Nov Wed 13, 2019 7:48 am

3 years straight with no significant evidence of a "fall bite" for me (I know some people have had plenty of luck, me not so much). It's sad I was just looking at my gear in my trunk and wondering when it'd be time to hang it up...looking like that time is upon us.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Wed 13, 2019 10:37 am

Im sure everything will thaw out next week, but Ill still be happy if I can get out a little early
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Wed 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Phil6 wrote:Im sure everything will thaw out next week, but Ill still be happy if I can get out a little early

Let's us know what kind of ice you run into.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby coyote » Nov Thu 14, 2019 6:23 am

Lake Geneva is still wide open, hoping for just 1 more trip before it is all over
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:51 am

Aux Pleins wrote:
Phil6 wrote:Im sure everything will thaw out next week, but Ill still be happy if I can get out a little early

Let's us know what kind of ice you run into.

Got a line wet on some thin ice but was 2 ft from shore at lunch, checked a different pond after work but it didnt have fishable ice. Was hoping to check after work today but that late snow and warmer weather will not have done any favors for ice building
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:02 am

some jokers coming over to my house tonight. we just might have enough budweiser to check the association pond and rack up a couple claims.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Busse Jim » Nov Fri 15, 2019 10:38 pm

mike son wrote:Time to hibernate

Boat and gear already stored. long time till spring :(

But don't fret, we still haven't had Native american summer :sarcasm: Were due for it...You'll probably be open water fishing in Dec, but Ice is coming!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Fri 15, 2019 11:09 pm

You're a fishing mad man Phil. Just be safe out there. We don't want to read about any accidents.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Nov Sat 16, 2019 11:47 am

Looks like a little warmer stretch is going to loosen things up.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby big jay » Nov Sat 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Nope not ready for ice I was catching some nice fish on jerkbaits up until it froze I was hoping for a couple more weeks before ice.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:23 am

Yes...I feel open water in the air by Wednesday:D
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:58 am

Got out there for ~30 minutes on saturday morning with my main ice fishing partner.

Ice was very loud under us but we stayed in 3-4 FOW.

"Thats a healthy two inch if I ever seen it, eh?" I yelled over to him, holding up a piece of clear and freshly chopped ice. "That's reassuring."

Curiosity got the best of me and I pulled my tape measure out "ah shit man... its 1.4"'

We were targeting panfish but I got treated to a little largemouth instead; always a pleasant surprise!

Feels great to be on the board middle of November. Hopefully we get some nice winter weather here soon despite dave :D
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Mon 18, 2019 12:34 pm

God Dam son, November ice fishing in Illinois. I've seen it all now. Well done Phil.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:58 pm

To me this thread is proof that our young friend Phil is a few cards short of a full deck. And I mean that in the best way. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Wed 20, 2019 12:18 am

Rambler wrote:To me this thread is proof that our young friend Phil is a few cards short of a full deck. And I mean that in the best way. :D

You needed MORE proof? :crazy:
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Nov Wed 20, 2019 5:53 pm

That largie probably wanted out of the freezing water to see what the hell is going on up there! Now with the temp rising slowly out of curiosity i went to check out the sag quarries. Still lots of thin ice. Would guess about 75% covered. A small rock tossed on it breaks it easily. North ends on both had the least amount of ice. Ran into a beaver taking a swim and nabbed 5 or 6 bluegills. Bites only came when I started jiggling the bait in water. If it wasn't moving they didn't want anything to do with it. Tiny hooks and light lines were getting the bites like said in earlier reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby polishfly » Nov Thu 21, 2019 8:47 am

Damnnnnn 1.4" of crazy! Glad you survived, my luck on ice as a kid was I always went in but maybe thats cause I was jumping on air pockets...
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Thu 21, 2019 9:13 am

The two lakes I drive past daily are now 70% open from the warm rain. The ice stuck around longer than I expected tbh
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Mon 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Rolling into this week like
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Mon 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Phil6 wrote:Rolling into this week like

Yep. Finally some ice-building weather coming up.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Dec Mon 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Forecast in SE Michigan is interesting. I'd say there is a 60% chance that it doesn't get cold enough to create safe ice and a 40% use case where we get a nice fairly long period of barely safe ice on early ice locations that we get to fish in the afternoon in mild above freezing temps. We had that situation two years ago and it was great for the 3-4 weeks it lasted.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Mon 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Im really hoping it stays locked up moving forward. Catching an early bass was fun but its time we get some serious ice going, 72 hours below freezing should hopefully make that possible. Not liking the way next weekend looks though!
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Tue 10, 2019 3:45 am

The temps we had in fall made me think we were going to have safe ice before xmas. Now its looking more like January. I'd like to see at least 5 weeks this year of solid ice.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Dec Tue 10, 2019 11:24 am

Aux Pleins wrote:The temps we had in fall made me think we were going to have safe ice before xmas. Now its looking more like January. I'd like to see at least 5 weeks this year of solid ice.

Yeah I'm not seeing any ice action until 1/1 at the earliest. Temps well above freezing until 12/24 aside from today/tomorrow. I just want to set a tip up and drink beer on a frozen lake! is that too much to ask?
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Dec Tue 10, 2019 11:39 am

Yea this f#&$ing forecast changed again and now its looking like trash. I am not a happy camper. Held onto 2 vacation days to use for ice fishing in December and now I might have to burn those near the holidays. Hopefully the bossman lets me roll them over into early Jan :?
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Dec Tue 10, 2019 11:53 am

Phil6 wrote:Yea this f#&$ing forecast changed again and now its looking like trash. I am not a happy camper. Held onto 2 vacation days to use for ice fishing in December and now I might have to burn those near the holidays. Hopefully the bossman lets me roll them over into early Jan :?

I think there will be some choice locations in the north burbs with walkable ice by the end of next week.

We shall see though...
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Dec Wed 11, 2019 9:58 am

Just extend your range a little north & all is good!

20191211_081127.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Dec Wed 11, 2019 10:19 am

I bet this 1cm of snow on the ice will screw up the building today/tonight. :x
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Dec Wed 11, 2019 10:45 am

Phil6 wrote:I bet this 1cm of snow on the ice will screw up the building today/tonight. :x

Not to worry, the high winds and mid to upper 40s on Thursday will make any ice-building meaningless anyway.

Starting Friday, the forecast looks like low wind and low average temps. I'll be on ice before my birthday on the 21st. (somewhere in far N. IL of course)
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Wed 11, 2019 11:07 am

SpecialEd wrote:Not to worry, the high winds and mid to upper 40s on Thursday will make any ice-building meaningless anyway.

Doesnt change the fact that i'll be testing how waterproof my boots are tonight :wink:
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Dec Wed 11, 2019 12:50 pm

cletedius wrote:Just extend your range a little north & all is good!

20191211_081127.jpg

That should read WTF instead of W.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Fri 13, 2019 12:24 pm

F#[email protected] going back up to 40 next weekend again after a week of freezing. Who wants to buy some ice fishing gear? :|
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Dec Fri 13, 2019 3:51 pm

a couple days hitting 40 won't hurt too much unless it comes with heavy rain or heavy snow too. Forecast is looking pretty good for SE Michigan now to have some safe ice (which means 3-4" in a couple known locations for me).
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Fri 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Phil6 wrote:F#[email protected] going back up to 40 next weekend again after a week of freezing. Who wants to buy some ice fishing gear? :|

A few days of 37 or 38 degrees shouldn't hurt much after a week of solid below freezing temps. On my extended I'm showing the following for highs/lows starting with December 14th on through to the 27th. We should build some ice. Despite warmer temps during the day for a few days, lots of clouds, which is good, and sub-freezing temps at night.

34/17
29/24
33/16
26/11
25/18
38/23
37/26
38/24
27/27
38/27
36/26
36/24
32/22
31/19
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Dec Mon 16, 2019 3:18 pm

hatchet-ed a couple holes during my lunch break, first pond I checked did not have walkable ice. Getting back out after work :mrgreen:

Skunked but I was grinning the whole time.
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Mon 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Phil6 wrote:Image

hatchet-ed a couple holes during my lunch break, first pond I checked did not have walkable ice. Getting back out after work :mrgreen:

Skunked but I was grinning the whole time.

Yep! We should have 3-4 inches, at least, by Saturday, IMO. Lots of cold coming the next few days. Problem is... we may lose it all after just one weekend. Supposed to be in the 40s for like 5 days straight around Christmas. Only good thing there is sub-freezing nights, despite 40s in the day.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Dec Mon 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Heard from some guys out today in the far northern burbs. They are on 2.5" to 3" fishing less than 4' of water. Ice was booming this morning.

I'll be up there Wednesday. :twisted:
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Mon 16, 2019 4:29 pm

SpecialEd wrote:Heard from some guys out today in the far northern burbs. They are on 2.5" to 3" fishing less than 4' of water. Ice was booming this morning.

Hear any ice reports on Nielsen's Channels yet?
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Dec Mon 16, 2019 4:53 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
SpecialEd wrote:Heard from some guys out today in the far northern burbs. They are on 2.5" to 3" fishing less than 4' of water. Ice was booming this morning.

Yes.

There were guys out yesterday fishing the back channels on 2"-2.5" of ice. :shock:

It's probably 3"+ now and every day till Friday more ice will be made I'm sure.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Mon 16, 2019 5:41 pm

SpecialEd wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:

Yes.

There were guys out yesterday fishing the back channels on 2"-2.5" of ice. :shock:

It's probably 3"+ now and every day till Friday more ice will be made I'm sure.

Good to hear. Maybe I'll get out there this weekend then.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Next

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information