Minnows in Chicago

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Minnows in Chicago

Postby philkol123 » Dec Sun 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Hope everyone is having a great festive period.
After this Sunday rain blows over, temps should start plummeting again which is why I bought myself some basic ice fishing stuff. Went out on the kayak today to test out the new electronics and jig around with the ice rod. Which was why I noticed the lack of live bait availability nearby where I live (especially in the winter). And I want to start using minnows through the ice once we get some hard water. Two questions; what's the best place around the Southwest Suburbs that sells good minnows? I live in the Palos Hills/Hickory Hills area. And second, what are some of the best places with minnows near the South Loop/Bridgeport area. I fish 95% of the time with artificial lures and the other 5% with live bait in Wisconsin so I am a rookie when it comes to good quality live bait around Chicago.
User avatar
philkol123
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mar Sun 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Minnows in Chicago

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Mon 30, 2019 3:39 am

South Loop Bridgeport area you're going to have to hit Henry's Baitshop. 3130 S. CANAL.
Nature and shit.
User avatar
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator
 
Posts: 7199
Joined: May Thu 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Gurnee

Re: Minnows in Chicago

Postby joetrain » Dec Mon 30, 2019 5:34 am

It’s probably not there anymore but there used to be a bait shop on the north side of 95th street just east of Harlem.
Also there is Anglers Outlet at 17036 S. Oak Park in Tinley.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
User avatar
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Minnows in Chicago

Postby philkol123 » Jan Wed 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Thank you guys Happy New Year!
User avatar
philkol123
Pan Fish
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mar Sun 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Minnows in Chicago

Postby badger75 » Jan Sat 04, 2020 11:33 am

western burbs - Ace Hardware - Warrenville
User avatar
badger75
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 608
Joined: May Fri 12, 2017 10:36 am
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Minnows in Chicago

Postby Rambler » Jan Sat 04, 2020 3:11 pm

I still miss the bait shack at River & Higgins. It was just so cool. Phony Rosemont waterfall doesn't compare.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
User avatar
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Near West suburbs


Return to General Fishing Questions and Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests