IL Shelter in Place starts tomorrow

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

IL Shelter in Place starts tomorrow

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Happy Spring!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: IL Shelter in Place starts tomorrow

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 1:42 pm

RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Fri 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Looks like Depere and the IL River is out next week. Yes, Happy Happy Spring......
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 2:05 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Looks like Depere and the IL River is out next week. Yes, Happy Happy Spring......

Yeah, those local WI rednecks will go nutso if they find an Illinoisan up there not obeying the shelter order. I'm glad I held off on the license purchase.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Mar Fri 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Hope the pot shops are deemed “ essential businesses.”
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Fri 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Joe......dave's not here mannnnn! Happy quarantine everyone!!

Since walks are permitted, would one hypothetically be permitted to cast a fishing rod while doing said walking?? I have a pond within walking distance which could make for a perfect quarantine walk n fish!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Fri 20, 2020 4:01 pm

I am checking this out from the Oak Park Shelter in Place. "To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running;"

Pritzker referred to it as "Stay at Home" which I am told is slightly different (Chicago Police have already said it is not martial law but a public health directive). No doubt more info will be forthcoming. Speaking as a layman I would have thought fishing would be OK as an outdoor activity as long as you keep 6 feet away from others.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Fri 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Pritzker said people can be outside and "recreate" but they need to practice social distancing. He also said the DNR parks will stay closed but it is up to the towns and cities as to what they do to with their parks. Maybe the Forest Preserves stay open. Based on what I heard, fishing is not off the table.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Mar Fri 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:Pritzker said people can be outside and "recreate" but they need to practice social distancing. He also said the DNR parks will stay closed but it is up to the towns and cities as to what they do to with their parks. Maybe the Forest Preserves stay open. Based on what I heard, fishing is not off the table.

Yep this is my understanding, I really need those forest preserves and park districts to stay open :x . I'd expect announcements from the forest preserve districts shortly.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Fri 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Pritzker's Executive Order just issued. Section 5 Leaving the Home.. 5.c. For outdoor activity. to engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing requirements, as defined below, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, running or biking. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas......
I am checking with my FPCC contacts..
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Fri 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Looks like business as usual which means fishing to continue.

From the FPCC website update at 5pm. https://fpdcc.com/coronavirus-disease-c ... ecautions/

"Due to concerns associated with the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Forest Preserves of Cook County is cancelling all public events, volunteer activities and permitted events and closing some locations (including all public restrooms, nature centers, campgrounds, nature play areas, permit offices and the Swallow Cliff Stairs) through May 11.[/i] We urge you to follow recommended visitor precautions when in the forest preserves.
We are committed to the health and safety of our visitors and will continue to monitor the situation and add or extend closures and cancellations as necessary.
We are working with the Cook County Department of Public Health and the Cook County Department of Emergency Management and Regional Security to follow the latest guidelines and best practices for prevention"
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Lordy Lightfart is closing all Chicago parks. I'm not sure what that means for some lakefront fishing areas.

The governor said something about he's still trying to get ahead of his curves. :roll:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Well, on a good note, looks like cops won't give me a funny look if I'm caught dragging my boat down to my club to fish. And I can still walk to the ponds around my house to throw a line too. So that's a plus.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Fri 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Ron- diggin' the new pic. Might I know where you caught that bad boy?
Anyone else think Pritzker looks like Fred Flintstone?
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Fishy Bitch » Mar Fri 20, 2020 6:06 pm

So none of the CCFP lakes are closed, continue fishing as usual, I bet they start getting crowded.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Fri 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Hopefully me and bassman29 dont get pulled over with the canoe on Sunday.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Mar Fri 20, 2020 6:52 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:Anyone else think Pritzker looks like Fred Flintstone?
Buddy Hackett I'm thinking myself.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 7:09 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:Anyone else think Pritzker looks like Fred Flintstone?

Jabba the Hut.

Lightfoot looks like a bullhead with a bad man's hairdo. :shock:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 7:16 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:Ron- diggin' the new pic. Might I know where you caught that bad boy?

Northerly Island. That was the fish that kept giving. It was the First Annual Henry's Sports/Chicago Pzrk District Night Time Salmon Tournament. I took the top two medals with that catch. 1st Place (for total weight of all your fish combined) and Biggest Fish. I won a nice combo + a nice rod and some misc. stuff. Jaws had 2 or 3 nice spoons from previous anglers hanging out of it's mouth when I landed it so I got to keep those lures too. :lol:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 1:11 am

Wow! Congrats! Shore or kayak? A fish that comes with gear can't be beat!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Sat 21, 2020 7:29 am

Baicaster guys (like auxy all rods 120lb braid) will shelter at home. Reel fisherman (spinning guys) will be catching.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 9:03 am

My comment about Pritzger's appearance was all in good fun. I think his decision to shelter in place was a good one, albeit a little too late, but then everything about this pandemic was done a little too late according to a BBC report I heard this morning. The whole thing was totally mishandled- a country with our resources should've been able to get a grip on it much sooner. I won't go into the reasons why that didn't happen or who is responsible, I'm not gonna rant but Pritzger was clearly frustrated by what was going on when he said a few weeks ago that the federal government needs to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Agreed. So, I guess I forgive him for messing up my stocked trout fishing.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sat 21, 2020 9:48 am

bobberwatcher wrote:My comment about Pritzger's appearance was all in good fun. I think his decision to shelter in place was a good one, albeit a little too late, but then everything about this pandemic was done a little too late according to a BBC report I heard this morning. The whole thing was totally mishandled- a country with our resources should've been able to get a grip on it much sooner. I won't go into the reasons why that didn't happen or who is responsible, I'm not gonna rant but Pritzger was clearly frustrated by what was going on when he said a few weeks ago that the federal government needs to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Agreed. So, I guess I forgive him for messing up my stocked trout fishing.

I have been impressed with how Pritzker has handled this pandemic. Both press conferences I watched were professional and sincere. I am pleased that he is consulting experts in the field when making his decisions. The doctor from University of Chicago who spoke at yesterday’s news conference was excellent.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sat 21, 2020 9:51 am

A woman on FB posted an email that stated all CCFP parking lots would be locked but access to trails would be available. This was not on their website. Will County Forest Preserve website has said the same thing.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:00 am

Lake County says, as of right now, that the preserves will be open.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:10 am

Seems to me closing the forest preserves is impractical and all but impossible. Some - like Busse - can be closed off by blocking the entrances. But how do you keep people out of Skokie Lagoons when they can park along Forestway, or keep people away from the DPR when they can park on the street & walk in? Same goes for most stretches of Salt Creek.

They can't expect the FP cops to actually patrol to keep folks out - they won't get out of their cars even in the best of times.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fishy Bitch » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:32 am

All open as of this morning, I will check after 5.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:54 am

Skifish1 wrote:Baicaster guys (like auxy all rods 120lb braid) will shelter at home. Reel fisherman (spinning guys) will be catching

Great news if true. But what makes you reach that conclusion?

And I thought Aux spooled his reels with coaxial cable. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:06 am

Rambler wrote:Seems to me closing the forest preserves is impractical and all but impossible. Some - like Busse - can be closed off by blocking the entrances. But how do you keep people out of Skokie Lagoons when they can park along Forestway, or keep people away from the DPR when they can park on the street & walk in? Same goes for most stretches of Salt Creek.

That's why they say they are closing lots, but not trails - this way they don't have to enforce the unenforceable. I count myself lucky, even if they do close FP's I can drive to the end of the street and from there it is a 10 minute walk to the DPR trail.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:17 am

Closing FP lots will stop the transmission of all kinds of communicable nasties.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby polishfly » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:27 am

People at Cabela's could give 2 ducks about social distancing.

20200321_105006(2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:45 am

I'm sure fishing forrest preserve lakes will be possible since they're not state facilities but I worry that if police start stopping people, asking why they are out, that fishing won't qualify as a necessity. Not sure if law enforcement will be able to do that but my job is requiring us to have our id badges on us to and from work so I'm thinking they might.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Grain » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:46 am

RonG wrote:Closing FP lots will stop the transmission of all kinds of communicable nasties.

I have heard the stories, but have never observed it personally.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 11:57 am

Was thinking about making a run for the Indiana border for some unrestricted coho fishing but most spots, like portage lakeshore, are closed due to erosion. In the words of the late roseannadanna- it's always something, if it's not one thing, it's another
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sat 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Rambler wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:Baicaster guys (like auxy all rods 120lb braid) will shelter at home. Reel fisherman (spinning guys) will be catching

Great news if true. But what makes you reach that conclusion?

And I thought Aux spooled his reels with coaxial cable. :D

Hey definitely won't find any of my line hanging from trees or bunched up in the river. Or even worse, used to hang a Great Heron to its death like the one they recently found in Cook County and posted it on the Forest Preseve facebook website. Never understood the light line theory for shallow rivers. I can see deep water where you need some sink without drift, but on the Des Plaines no...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby polishfly » Mar Sat 21, 2020 1:05 pm

I second the heavy line...I straighten every hook before I lose a life and pollute the water with more plastic. Also save myself a few bucks! Not to mention I can horse the fish in cause I get mad anxiety about losing that C&R dink trophy!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 21, 2020 1:50 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:Wow! Congrats! Shore or kayak? A fish that comes with gear can't be beat!

Definitely a shore-only event. You would not want be out there in a yak with 100 contestants throwing heavy spoons and big cranks around. 8)

henrys.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Sat 21, 2020 2:17 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:I'm sure fishing forrest preserve lakes will be possible since they're not state facilities but I worry that if police start stopping people, asking why they are out, that fishing won't qualify as a necessity. Not sure if law enforcement will be able to do that but my job is requiring us to have our id badges on us to and from work so I'm thinking they might.

From the FPCC website "During the COVID-19 crisis, many Forest Preserves sites remain open as a resource for fresh air, exercise and access to nature. Please follow these guidelines to ensure your visit to a preserve or time on the trail is as safe as possible". I guess we will find out tomorrow. I will carry a copy of the Executive Order in my car with the relevant parts highlighted if I am stopped. Tight lines all.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby minstrel » Mar Sat 21, 2020 2:24 pm

From the FPCC website "During the COVID-19 crisis, many Forest Preserves sites remain open as a resource for fresh air, exercise and access to nature.

I guess this all depends on what 'many' means to them. On the flip side that would naturally mean that "some" location will indeed be closed... I guess we'll have to wait and see. *sigh*
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Sat 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Bassin' Ted wrote:
bobberwatcher wrote:My comment about Pritzger's appearance was all in good fun. I think his decision to shelter in place was a good one, albeit a little too late, but then everything about this pandemic was done a little too late according to a BBC report I heard this morning. The whole thing was totally mishandled- a country with our resources should've been able to get a grip on it much sooner. I won't go into the reasons why that didn't happen or who is responsible, I'm not gonna rant but Pritzger was clearly frustrated by what was going on when he said a few weeks ago that the federal government needs to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Agreed. So, I guess I forgive him for messing up my stocked trout fishing.

I have been impressed with how Pritzker has handled this pandemic. Both press conferences I watched were professional and sincere. I am pleased that he is consulting experts in the field when making his decisions. The doctor from University of Chicago who spoke at yesterday’s news conference was excellent.

I agree the Governor comes across as concerned and sincere. I do worry when folks quote "their modeling" because all models depend on the assumptions. Remember how Al Gore's global warming morphed into climate change when the actual results on the ground (i.e., more polar bears) did not concur with his models. What concerns me more right now is that the Illinois economy is being sacrificed because we were unprepared for a pandemic. We tip Illinois into a L shaped depression. Shuttering private businesses as we write is going to do this. My contacts tell me we are already in a recession. Illinois was not prepared for a pandemic and that is a failing of Government full stop. Tight lines all.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Wolfie- if you didn't mean that its more cost effective to sacrifice the weak, why even draw the comparison between the war and whats going on now? Surely you know this virus can kill anyone, not only elderly- anyone whose immune system may be down temporarily, those undergoing chemo or other immune suppressing meds, actually anyones system could be low and they wouldnt even realize it....the diasabled, the list goes on. All expendable? To save the economy? Somebody please tell me I'm way off or read this wrong or jumping to conclusions.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bassin' Ted » Mar Sat 21, 2020 5:35 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:I'm sure fishing forrest preserve lakes will be possible since they're not state facilities but I worry that if police start stopping people, asking why they are out, that fishing won't qualify as a necessity. Not sure if law enforcement will be able to do that but my job is requiring us to have our id badges on us to and from work so I'm thinking they might.

The police are not going to be pulling people over and asking where they are going.
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Sat 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Uhhhh. Yeah... gonna ignore some stupid shit being said in here.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Sat 21, 2020 5:48 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:To save the economy? Somebody please tell me I'm way off or read this wrong or jumping to conclusions.

Think about this way - right now they are discussing a 1 trillion relief package. A ventilator costs something like 30k, let's say 100k with installation, additional equipment, bed, monitors and so on. Hell, let's make it a cool million, to include the costs of running it for the length of the epidemics. You could put up a million of intensive care units for that amount of money. And the costs to the economy will actually be much larger.
So it would have been much more efficient, may be even beneficial for the economy and the healthcare system to tackle this thing head on, and start aggressively spending money on treatment facilities.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Grain » Mar Sat 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Just say that you are trying to avoid a domestic violence situation. I mean my kids have been stuck inside for 9 days now, today the internet went out for a little while and 10 minutes into the outage the fists were flying.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Sat 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Grain- I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is equating deaths from corona to casualties of war, accepting it and not fully getting on board with attempts to stop it for fear of harming the economy.
Whatever. Everyone has a right to their opininion. I'd rather lighten up by talking about dead musicians anyhow.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:11 pm

News just in from various sources. A combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin has been proven successful in treating patients in France, Belgium, South Korea and China. These are used to treat malaria (could explain why India has not outbreak as their people are already protected). President Trump mentioned this at his presser today. Twitter is on fire with this although as expected the media are not. Fingers crossed. Tight lines all.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Sat 21, 2020 10:38 pm

It's purely anecdotal. And doctors have said as much.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Mar Sun 22, 2020 11:22 am

*tries to steer the thread back in* :wink:

So any word/evidence for us being able to fish the Forest Preserves?
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby oldsalt » Mar Sun 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Beck open were fishing at occ
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Next

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information