No Cook County Spring Trout

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

No Cook County Spring Trout

Postby minstrel » Mar Sat 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Spring 2020 Trout Season Cancelled

Due to concerns associated with the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the spring trout season opening day—originally scheduled for April 4—is postponed indefinitely. The parking lots and fishing lakes at Axehead Lake, Belleau Lake, Green Lake Woods, Horsetail Lake, and Sag Quarries are closed indefinitely, starting March 30.

That's direct from the CCFP website. IDNR claims those locations will be open but they won't be! Apparently they are still stocking all locations, but that then means they can't be fished until the closedowns are lifted... so this means Belleau and Axe will be closed after this weekend for an indefinite amount of time. :(

To me that's a tough precedent that may be used to close down other sites as well. Hopefully not, but I could see it happening as a blanket FP policy. :roll:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Re: No Cook County Spring Trout

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sun 29, 2020 8:54 am

What the g-dam shit!
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Mar Sun 29, 2020 9:08 am

Geez man, this has gotten brutal :(
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Mar Sun 29, 2020 9:22 am

Pending any new discovery I expect things will get worse before they get better as well. Those stocker fish may get to enjoy the new water and learn some tricks before being caught
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Apr Thu 02, 2020 10:54 pm

I was just thinking, could there be a die-off potential here? I mean usually they are culled from the lakes before threatening food supplies but trout in that number in a lake for weeks/months could be a disaster, right? I'm no math major but that number of new fish added permanently to a population sounds like a bad equation :cry:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Apr Fri 03, 2020 1:44 am

minstrel wrote:I was just thinking, could there be a die-off potential here? I mean usually they are culled from the lakes before threatening food supplies but trout in that number in a lake for weeks/months could be a disaster, right? I'm no math major but that number of new fish added permanently to a population sounds like a bad equation :cry:

I wouldnt lose sleep over it.
I would be surprised if more than a small handful would even survive the summer, anyway. I think the biggest die-off potential is that of the trout learning how to naturally forage in their new & less than ideal enviornment for something other than Purina trout pellets.
But, Ill bet the top predators in the lake will love having the trout around for a few weeks longer than usual. :D
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Fri 03, 2020 2:27 am

minstrel wrote:I was just thinking, could there be a die-off potential here? I mean usually they are culled from the lakes before threatening food supplies but trout in that number in a lake for weeks/months could be a disaster, right? I'm no math major but that number of new fish added permanently to a population sounds like a bad equation :cry:

Theyll die in warmer water. But they're so aggressive theyll clean up on smaller fish and minnows.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Apr Fri 03, 2020 11:17 am

Some of the lakes have springs in deeper water and some of the spring stocked trout do survive.

:idea: There's always night time bicycle ninja fishing to make sure the trout don't go to waste.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Fishy Bitch » Apr Fri 03, 2020 3:37 pm

:idea: There's always night time bicycle ninja fishing to make sure the trout don't go to waste.

I highly doubt those "pet trout" were properly taught to feed at night, but if you do go, bring about a pound of dry dog food with you and throw it in before casting...I heard it from a friend.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Apr Fri 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Fishy Bitch wrote:I highly doubt those "pet trout" were properly taught to feed at night

Oh, they do! I've walked up to Axehead before sunrise and guys were leaving with their limits. Flies behind a casting bubble would be your best bet. Dupagers might now know as the preserves always open one hour after sunrise.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Fishy Bitch » Apr Fri 03, 2020 4:42 pm

The last pet trout I caught was at a fishing show 25+ years ago while I was giving my 4 year old son the pole. But the dog food thing I hear about must be true.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information