Attention Illinois Boaters

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Attention Illinois Boaters

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Wed 01, 2020 11:44 am

Has anyone renewed their trailer registration yet in 2020?

A buddy of mine tried to apply for a boat title and trailer title which is how you register an old title-less jon boat and trailer for the first time. He was asked for a fee of $465, which he politely declined. Didnt sound right to me, I did something similar 5 or 6 years ago and it was no where near that cost.

Things got worse when I recently received my annual trailer registration renewal in the mail.

20200401_113523.jpg

Here is the 2019 renewal I saved from a year ago.

20200401_113439.jpg

Could it have possibly gone up $100 in 1 year? I'm hoping this was just a typo. I haven't gone in to renew and get my sticker yet. This worries me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Attention Illinois Boaters

Postby RonG » Apr Wed 01, 2020 11:48 am

Prickster!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Wed 01, 2020 11:53 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Has anyone renewed their trailer registration yet in 2020?

A buddy of mine tried to apply for a boat title and trailer title which is how you register an old title-less jon boat and trailer for the first time. He was asked for a fee of $465, which he politely declined. Didnt sound right to me, I did something similar 5 or 6 years ago and it was no where near that cost.

Things got worse when I recently received my annual trailer registration renewal in the mail.

20200401_113523.jpg

Here is the 2019 renewal I saved from a year ago.

20200401_113439.jpg

Could it have possibly gone up $100 in 1 year? I'm hoping this was just a typo. I haven't gone in to renew and get my sticker yet. This worries me.

That is accurate. Pritzker raised the fees for both trailer plates, and car plates. Boat trailer plates cost $118 instead of $18 now, for most boats/trailers. Cars are also now higher. I believe around $150.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fishy Bitch » Apr Wed 01, 2020 11:59 am

Old news, this was passed in Oct. 2019 under a blanket of trailers. There was supposed to be some revision to it but that is in quarantine as is everything else. My father-in-law called the state and they told him not to renew because something was in the works????
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby cletedius » Apr Wed 01, 2020 12:07 pm

I recently read that the 118$ fee is going to be a 1-time fee, not an annual thing, as I & most assumed. If I understood it correctly, its a better system than the old way of annual renewal.
If this is in fact true, Ill actually applaud the state, although the 100$ up-front robbery is what it is, Ill gladly pay it to not have to deal with the yearly renewal, going fwd. Hell, I may even re-register 1 or both of my trailers back to IL!

Unfortunately for vehicle plates, it IS as bad as it seems.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Apr Wed 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes, I've heard complaints that Jabba raised registration by 500%. My guess is he figured out that no one who's pulling a boat will ever vote for him anyway.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Wed 01, 2020 3:24 pm

cletedius wrote:I recently read that the 118$ fee is going to be a 1-time fee, not an annual thing, as I & most assumed. If I understood it correctly, its a better system than the old way of annual renewal.

Whew, I hope that is the case. I'll take that deal. Fingers crossed.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Wed 01, 2020 3:52 pm

Found this right on Uncle Jesse’s site. You might be screwed. I also read somewhere that the fee is supposed to be lowered but it hasn’t happened yet.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Wed 01, 2020 3:55 pm

joetrain wrote:Found this right on Uncle Jesse’s site. You might be screwed. I also read somewhere that the fee is supposed to be lowered but it hasn’t happened yet.
~JOE~

Yep, I'm thinking I may just not renew mine, and take my chances on it, at least for now. Mine expires end of April. Wait and see if they lower it or some shit. Not like I'll be trailering anywhere but to my private club, and I usually don't see too many cops that early in the morning, at least that would want to bother pulling me over for the trailer plate during a pandemic.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Apr Wed 01, 2020 5:43 pm

That sucks, glad I'm not in commieville anymore.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fishy Bitch » Apr Wed 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Pretty sure all boat trailer plates expire 4/30, they got a month to figure it out before they stir the hive even more.
Fishy Bitch
Pan Fish

Postby cletedius » Apr Thu 02, 2020 2:53 am

* on a sidenote, 1 of the more interesting encounters Ive had with LE while behind the wheel was getting pulled over in the wee hours of the a.m. in MI pulling a boat registered in MN on a trailer from WI by a truck with IL plates. Trooper pulled me over on my way to the St. Joe @ about 2a.m. for not having a trailer plate. I explained that the trailer was from WI & didnt require plates, "but the boat has a MN registration?", yup (thankfully had reg papers), "& truck is from IL??", yup. He absolutely didnt believe me about WI trailer not needing a plate, but I think he finally realized I wasnt drunk or tweaking & hadnt stolen any of it, but mostly, didnt want to fact-check my claims (pre-internet) so he sent me on my way.

Anyway, hope this goes through

Bill Status of HB5306  101st General Assembly
Short Description:  VEH CD-PERMANENT TRAILER PLATE
House Sponsors
Rep. Terri Bryant - Tony McCombie
Last Action
Date Chamber  Action
  3/12/2020 House Assigned to Revenue & Finance Committee
Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
625 ILCS 5/3-808.1 from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3-808.1
625 ILCS 5/3-819 from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3-819
Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that beginning with the 2022 registration year, the Secretary of State, at the option of the applicant, shall issue permanent registration plates for a one-time fee of $118 to the owner of a trailer having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less. Provides that a person who has been issued a permanent trailer plate is not required to pay the annual flat weight tax and registration fee. Lowers the annual flat weight tax and registration fee for trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less from $118 to $18.
Actions 
Date Chamber  Action
  2/14/2020 House Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Terri Bryant
  2/18/2020 House First Reading
  2/18/2020 House Referred to Rules Committee
  3/12/2020 House Assigned to Revenue & Finance Committee
  3/13/2020 House Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Tony McCombie
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 02, 2020 8:29 am

Not that it effects me but I'll bet nothing happens until the virus goes away. So if you don't renew & get stopped you can blame it on the virus.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 30, 2020 11:14 am

So I renewed my boat trailer plates today (Registration). Paid the $118 fee, which was $125.50 at the currency exchange. Same as always, got a new card and a sticker for the license plate. Bad news is it says it expires next April, so looks like the $118 fee is just for 1 year, for now... :evil: A total $100 dollar increase from one year to the next, unreal.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:So I renewed my boat trailer plates today (Registration). Paid the $118 fee, which was $125.50 at the currency exchange. Same as always, got a new card and a sticker for the license plate. Bad news is it says it expires next April, so looks like the $118 fee is just for 1 year, for now... :evil: A total $100 dollar increase from one year to the next, unreal.

I'm not even bothering to renew right now. I'll just risk the ticket. Fuck that $100 increase. Hell, I'm debating just pulling the license plate off my trailer altogether. I rarely see any cops when I'm on the road with it at 3-5am, anyways. I'll take my chances.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Don't forget the old saying, 'If you want to play you gotta pay'.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Apr Thu 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Rambler wrote:Don't forget the old saying, 'If you want to play you gotta pay'.

well, you don't have to. Just have to be willing to pay the fee. I've seen on other sites that you can register your trailer in Maine online for like 10 years for $200 (I'm probably off on my fee, but in the ball park). I'm going to seriously consider that option. They welcome out of state applicants with no requirement for in state residency.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 30, 2020 3:58 pm

billebob5 wrote:
Rambler wrote:Don't forget the old saying, 'If you want to play you gotta pay'.

well, you don't have to. Just have to be willing to pay the fee. I've seen on other sites that you can register your trailer in Maine online for like 10 years for $200 (I'm probably off on my fee, but in the ball park). I'm going to seriously consider that option. They welcome out of state applicants with no requirement for in state residency.

If you can use someone's address in Wisconsin, they don't even require a trailer plate or registration for it. I know some folks, so I'm also giving that option much consideration. I'd just register the boat in WI, and then pull the plate altogether. I think the rule is you can't use your boat in Illinois for more than 90 days, then. I'm not on the water 90 days a year, usually, and much of the time I'm at a private club when I am, so...
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information