Need a good pike rod

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Need a good pike rod

Postby Brandon » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:01 am

Curious about all of your recommendations on a good pike rod. How long do I need to go? 7-8’? I’d like to stay with a medium heavy so I can throw 1/2 oz baits and maybe a little smaller though I’m not sure if that’s really necessary either. Also is 20lb braid heavy enough or will Pike eat through that too easy? I’ve always used steel leaders. Thanks for any info.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Need a good like rod

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:17 am

You didn't specify spinning or bait casting. Bait casting - ask Aux.

Spinning - I use a Fenwick Elite Tech MH 7' rod with a Pflueger Summit (a President XT with a different handle they made for Cabelas so you can't get it anymore :( ) with 20 lb braid & a 20 lb leader. Had some early probs with the Pflueger but I fixed them & now it all works wonderfully. Great rod - very comfortable handle, handles 3/8, 1/2 lures with no problem.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:20 am

Pike will eat through 20lb braid. I use bass gear for pike but tie a steel leader most of the time. For a little heavier baits I use 7'6" powell inferno magmh rated 3/8- 3 oz. If you dont want to use a steel leader you can use thick fluoro leader or just straight 50lb (and up) braid. I have yet to have a pike bite through 50lb suffix 832.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:35 am

Are you shore bound or in a boat. Fishing from my yak I like a 6 to 6’6” rod. I found a decent one for $50+ on Sierra Trading Post. It’s a Shimano Clarus. It does what I need it to do. I think it is a medium/heavy fast tip. Pretty sure it has some heavier Suffix 832 on a Lews reel.

As far as leaders I usually tied my own with 60lb. fluoro or wire. I liked the fluoro simply because it won’t kink.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Jun Mon 29, 2020 8:56 am

Sorry, meant to mention casting rod.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Need a good pike rod

Postby Grain » Jun Mon 29, 2020 9:18 am

Pike will make a short of work of braid - ask me how I know. So for me, on my DPR rod it's 50# braid with 20# steel leader. As for the length, I know that they recommend 7-8" but I favor a shorter one, just long enough to get around the bow of the yak.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby billebob5 » Jun Mon 29, 2020 2:56 pm

my best pike rod is a St. Croix premiere built in 1993. Light action, 5'6". I can't tell you how many northwoods 32" plus pike have come to hand using this rod but it's been stellar. All that usually with 8 or 6# fireline. In hindsight I've probably been very lucky with hooksets using that set up. But it works!
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Jun Tue 30, 2020 8:30 am

My pike and musky rod is my St Croix Mojo Bass HF 7' Frog n Slop rod....it has handled everything I have posted up on here so far, into the mid 40s.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Tue 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Shimano casting rods.

That being said you dont need to spend a lot because unlike walleye or bass fishing you dont need the sensitivity to feel when a bait is being picked up. You just need something that fits your comfort zone when it comes to bait size and line.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Tue 30, 2020 11:46 pm

St Croix Premier 7ft MH. 20lb braid is too thin for baitcasters. I use 40-50lb (10-12lb mono equivalent) with a steel leader. pike are not line shy
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby Brandon » Jul Sat 04, 2020 1:05 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought a St. Croix Premier 7’ MH. Got a $30 gift card for Fathers Day from Fishtech so I wanted to shop local and just went with that. Also got a Duckett 7’3” MH. Pairing with a Daiwa Lexa 300. Took the new combo out today for the first time. Got 4 bass. Feels really good in the hand. Love this reel too.
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 04, 2020 5:33 am

So you caught 4 bass with your new pike setup? Ain't that how it always goes? :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Jul Sat 04, 2020 10:51 am

Rambler wrote:So you caught 4 bass with your new pike setup? Ain't that how it always goes? :D

Yeah I thought it was ironic. Nothing surprises me anymore though. Just happy to get a tug.
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Brandon wrote:Yeah I thought it was ironic. Nothing surprises me anymore though. Just happy to get a tug.

I had the reverse happen last week on the DPR. I had a white & green chatterbait on & had several pike follow it & then break off the chase. I thought maybe they liked the color but not the size. So I put on a white jig & twister & caught a bass. Go figure...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information