Tree bass

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Tree bass

Postby jonny2can » May Fri 21, 2021 10:45 pm

Casted over a tree today and lure still landed in water. Of course right away a bass hits so I set hook at bass goes right up into the tree branch hanging there out of the water as I try to get the snag free. About a minute trying to get the bass off the tree it came loose and spit out my tree snagged lure. First for me. Im sure some of you guys had similar experiences.
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Re: Tree bass

Postby minstrel » May Sat 22, 2021 12:44 am

Hah! :D I've had situations like that but the inopportune bites never played out. How funny.
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Sat 22, 2021 2:45 am

Been there, done that. Only I landed the bass. Non-spectacular, Rambler-sized. I remember the exact tree. 'Haven't been there in awhile. I set my crappie record there just right of the tree. 55 nice crappies in 55 casts. It'll never happen again after the beer guzzling bucket heads cleaned out the crappies. I witnessed cases of beer and long stringers of crappies...so sad. I released all of mine only to be killed by losers who were too hungover and lazy to clean and eat their wanton pillage. Vigilante justice is so hard to resist...
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Sat 22, 2021 5:21 am

Mine was a bit different. While fishing the DPR I hooked a small pike that proceeded to go airborne. His jump caused him to get snagged in a lay down. One of the exposed trebles snagged a branch about a foot off the water. I paddled over and got him released.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Sat 22, 2021 8:01 am

Good one. Closest I've come to that was at the 'goons several years back. Cast a jig & twister over a log, hooked one & had it hang up on the log for a bit before I landed it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » May Mon 24, 2021 7:23 am

My brother in law saw this one:
Lake fishing, guy in another boat casts near shore. Bait goes over a tree branch and stops about a foot above the water. LMB jumps, takes the bait and gets hooked. Guy rows in "lands" fish. Says his wife will never believe this. BIL says he will vouch for the story.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 30, 2021 7:50 am

Last year I cast over a tree branch while wading the DuPage. Ended up backlashing on top of it so let out slack to get that out. Guess a little dinker smallie reacted on it and just reeling in my slack was enough of a hookset. It ended up dangling from the tree until I unhooked it lol. I have the photo/video on my hard drive at home :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » May Mon 31, 2021 1:36 pm

Lol! I've heard about things like that, even remember reading a story in Outdoor Life about a similar situation many years ago, but never had it happen to me. I do have plenty of lures sitting in various tree branches though. But I did have a weird catch situation when I was a kid, it just didn't involve a tree.

I was 14 or 15 and living with my parents in LA. We went down to San Diego one weekend and stayed at a place right on Mission Bay. I walked to the Bay from our cabin and waded out into the water. I had one of those real heavy lead pyramid weights and a single hook rigged to a leader. I didn't have any shrimp or squid for bait, but I did have a piece of beef stick that I broke off and put that on the hook. I cast out and the line broke (I was using a freshwater rod and probably 8 or 10 lb test mono but it was all I had at the time). There went the weight, the hook, and the leader. The next day I went back to fish in the same area. I remember I was casting a small red and white spoon, probably an old Daredevle. After a few casts, I felt a tug and started hauling something in. I was pretty excited because I'd never caught anything on a lure before. When I brought it in the treble of the spoon had managed to snag the broken off line, weight, and hook of the rig I had lost the day before. Hanging on to the hook was some kind of a small rockfish that must have chowed down on the piece of beef stick. I was still happy I had caught it though.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information