Do I have this outboard correctly priced on marketplace?

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

Do I have this outboard correctly priced on marketplace?

Postby catchafew » Jun Tue 22, 2021 10:32 am

Since you all likely live many hours from me, hopefully I can get some honest opinions about what I should list this motor at. I'm not an expert on marketplace selling either but I'm guessing I'm way too low. Did casual Craigslist searches and WORKING small outboards seem to start at $300 so I figured $150 for a non working motor would be reasonable?

I listed motor last night at 22:30 at $150 and by this morning I had 16 people message me, some multiple times to buy it on the spot. One guy even offered me $175. Here's how my listing read:

"2hp, 4 stroke outboard motor with 20" shaft. I think the motor weighs around 25 pounds.

I got this motor used years ago and it did run when I purchased it but I ended up never using it. I emptied out the gas and kept it in my basement. I did run a compression test back then and she had good compression.

Anyway I'm not sure she'll run but we can fill up a barrel with water and try if you're serious. Likely this motor might be for someone who's a gear head to get her running. This would be an ideal motor for a squareback canoe or small rowboat."

Motor has a cracked off carrying handle when I got it, I have little patience for tinkering with gas motors I found out about myself as the years went on but Northwoods people like to tinker and fix everything. Give me databases to build, some flat files and SQL and I'm a pig in shit but I retired from working on cars years ago.

Btw, I yanked the listing. Trying to de-junk my house but want to be wise about things. I'm hoping to figure out a way to make my marketplace listings be more like eBay going to highest bidder. Might just say person with the highest bid in 5 days gets it. But

I'm also paranoid about people coming to my house and seeing what I have so I just keep them in the garage, front door or yard to look at things. I've been a victim of theft and my elderly parents before they passed from a con-man. Lots of junkies in rural America.

Here's some pictures. Thanks

20210621_215416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Do I have this outboard correctly priced on marketplace?

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 22, 2021 11:20 am

Don't know jack about outboards but I suspect the fact it's a Honda has some appeal.

But your mention of flat files takes me back to the good old days...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 22, 2021 11:36 am

Too low! It's a Honda. And it's like it's from 1963. plus @$150, they are still thinking they are going to talk you down another 33-75% hemming and hawing and using, "it's not working, I'm taking a big risk in buying this" as their argument.

catchafew wrote:I listed motor last night at 22:30 at $150 and by this morning I had 16 people message me

16=
2 serious
3 lonely time wasters that just want a friend to chat with.
3 pranksters
4 junkies coming to steal it
4 no shows

Craigslisters are some horrible folks, both buyers and sellers. I've found myself in some precarious situations like getting to the address and realizing I'm in a Chicago project late in the evening. 'Had some quality folks too, even in the projects.

If you want it to be like ebay, you have to reverse-ebay it. List it high. You can drop the price at your pace. I see some musical instruments on craigs for over 3 years. I laugh because the very stubborn, unmotivated seller has an item that is depreciating and would have benefited lowering it sooner than waiting years.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FloridaRigger » Jun Tue 22, 2021 1:17 pm

anything boat related is crazy inflated right now. People selling 20 year old boats for what they paid new.

that motor new is $999 so I'd go at least $500 used even if not working. I bet the carb is gummed up, should be an easy fix
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby charliebravo77 » Jun Tue 22, 2021 3:24 pm

I know this isn't a for sale ad necessarily but I'd happily give you that $150 for it and provide you some reassurance that I'm not going to come back and rob you after the fact :D. That looks like it'd be perfect for my new Nucanoe if I could get it running. Planning to go fishing down in FL in a month or so and having some power beyond my paddling arms would be great.
charliebravo77
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Jun Tue 22, 2021 3:38 pm

charliebravo77 wrote:...and provide you some reassurance that I'm not going to come back and rob you after the fact .

Watch this guy. He said nothing about not robbing you on his first visit. :lol:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby charliebravo77 » Jun Tue 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Dang it they're on to me.
charliebravo77
Pan Fish

Postby oldsalt » Jun Tue 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Plug,coil,carb kit,impeller,oil change,fuel lines,gear oil,seal gear case , that's my auto repair background,all honda parts,do right first time it's over with,some guys will just get it running, not me,200 maybe in parts,I would give you say no more than 200,the guy who has this done at the dealer,100,no a guy,125 ask 380 see what happens,the dealer guy is gone no a guy,might be interested, fix it myself guy, will be around.,rember some guys wonit put all those parts in,some will.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Luckydawg13 » Jun Tue 22, 2021 4:58 pm

If I was looking most I would give would be maybe $300. For a non running motor
Kids that hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Luckydawg13
Game Fish

Postby oldsalt » Jun Tue 22, 2021 5:10 pm

Key words,not running,you donit know if it shifts, fuel line leaks,try to get running, new motor,your also paying for the warranty, also any updates threw the years ,runs and shifts,yea you could ask 500
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Wed 23, 2021 2:38 am

That is a newer "used". I wouldn't take anything less than 400. H.P. 2 through 25 really come around the same cost when buying used. Especially since it seems like everything is 20yrs or older thats out there. You get probably more attention on motors 9.8hp or less with all those 10hp lakes still out there. Then 2hp your getting into the square stern canoe type guys. Also selling old outboards is like selling old fishing gear. Always seems to be a lot of takers.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SpecialEd » Jun Wed 23, 2021 8:02 am

Aux Pleins wrote:That is a newer "used". I wouldn't take anything less than 400.

This.

Re-list it for $475 and don't take anything less than $400. For just about everything recreational, it's a seller's market right now.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jun Wed 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks guys. I'll re-list high and bring price down more slowly.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information