Consumption - Edibility

The Northshore Channel, The Cal/Sag, the entire Chicago River system is loaded with fish... GAME FISH! Discover this great fisherie in Chicago's backyard.

Consumption - Edibility

Postby tperoulas » Aug Thu 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi all - I reviewed the IL DNR consumption guidelines @ http://www.ifishillinois.org/regulations/2015_consumption_advisory.pdf

How comfortable to you all really feel about eating fish from the Chicago River? I'm thinking panfish and small bass caught in the north branch might be a safe bet.

Thoughts?
tperoulas

Re: Consumption - Edibility

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Thu 18, 2016 2:53 pm

I've never eaten something out of there. Likely never will. I can catch panfish and other edible fish from much better water, so it's not worth it to me. I wouldn't risk it, but that's just my 2 cents.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Aug Thu 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Noooo way. I would love to see what the people who wrote those regs would do if they were presented with a plate of fried fish from the Chicago River.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tperoulas » Aug Thu 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks all. I live on the north side of Chicago. Any recommendations on local spots to catch some edibles? Panfish, bass, northern? Des Plaines River? I'm just back from a fishing trip in MN and have the bug.
tperoulas

Postby joetrain » Aug Thu 18, 2016 3:52 pm

DesPlaines River is another no. Maybe Lake Michigan if you don't eat it everyday.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Thu 18, 2016 3:56 pm

tperoulas wrote:Thanks all. I live on the north side of Chicago. Any recommendations on local spots to catch some edibles? Panfish, bass, northern? Des Plaines River? I'm just back from a fishing trip in MN and have the bug.

North Branch, the North Shore Channel at Wilmette harbor is a good spot for panfish. Des Plaines River, I wouldn't bother, there are a number of Forest Preserve lakes along the Des Plaines that offer panfish and trout.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Caught at Dawn » Aug Thu 18, 2016 4:01 pm

I also say no to the fox. Saw a article from the state a while back warning women to not consume fox caught fish if they are or potentially be pregnant due to PCB contamination found in the fish. That stuff causes birth defects and other nasty stuff. So no way.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby Zenfish » Aug Thu 18, 2016 5:02 pm

You'll live longer if you eat White Castles and KFC every day. These fish in the city and surrounding suburbs have a high chance of toxins and other nasty stuff like mercury in its fat deposits and beyond. Couple years ago I met some guy at River Park that caught some crappie and was going to try to eat them. Saw him the next day and he said he fried them and his whole house smelled like the moldy Chicago river with accents of aromatic sewer. He couldn't even take one bite.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Thu 18, 2016 5:12 pm

ny recommendations on local spots to catch some edibles? Panfish, bass, northern? Des Plaines River?

first post and he wants to ask a dpr dominant forum if theres eaters in the river. :roll:
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Aug Thu 18, 2016 10:22 pm

RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Aug Fri 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Unless we're in some post apocalyptic world I can't see myself wanting to eat fish from ANY of the rivers in the Chicago metro area that are full time residents. Runs of salmon and related from lake Michigan might be excluded.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Fri 19, 2016 1:39 pm

I eat all the salmon & trout I catch in Lake MI each Sept on my Pentwater trip. I usually come home with a cooler full & they serve up at least one dinner a week for several months.

I don't worry about it at all but then at my age there are probably a lot of other things that might kill me before eating fish out of the big lake will.

Having said that I wouldn't eat anything out of the Chicago, DPR, Salt Creek or any other river in the area - they've been used as sewers for way too long in spite of the best efforts of the EPA.

Not sure about forest preserve lakes or other small bodies - it's probably OK if you don't make it a regular thing.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Fri 19, 2016 3:17 pm

I've eaten fish out of both the Kank and the Fox. I'm not glowing green or diseased in any way that I'm aware of lol. Those are probably the only two I'd eat fish out of, though. Also eaten plenty of fish out of Lake Michigan, and no issues. Eaten fish out of Heidecke and Lasalle as well, with never an issue. Same goes for the Fox Chain. I'd just steer clear of the Des Plaines, Chicago River, Cal Sag, DuPage, etc. I also wouldn't touch forest preserve lake fish. Too many fertilizers and weed killers and pesticides going into those with runoff from all the park/grass areas surrounding them.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JasonN » Aug Fri 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Yeah i'd stay away from consuming fish from the north shore channel or any of the river system for that matter. I can't imagine anyone having that much of a hankering for bluegill or largemouth bass that they'd consider harvesting from those, or even most local waters. It's not that you're gonna die, it's just, well... ew.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby Trollin4Swallowers » Sep Thu 01, 2016 12:21 am

Hike up your skirts! Most of the farmed fish you're buying at the super market are exposed to worse conditions than the fish you're catching out of local waters. I'm not sure I'd trust anything out of the Chicago river, but most other local sources are fine. I also avoid anything caught on a golf course due to heavy chemical applications l.
Trollin4Swallowers
Pan Fish

Return to Chicago River