It would appear the carp. . .

The Northshore Channel, The Cal/Sag, the entire Chicago River system is loaded with fish... GAME FISH! Discover this great fisherie in Chicago's backyard.

It would appear the carp. . .

Postby J.W. » Sep Sun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

. . . are doing very well in the river. Took these pics this afternoon.

J.W.
Fishing Czar

Re: It would appear the carp. . .

Postby achotrod » Sep Sun 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Looks like the fox river at times
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Sun 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Should make some people happy, some on WCF are happy about having invasive species...
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Sep Sun 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Skifish1 wrote:Should make some people happy, some on WCF are happy about having invasive species...

For some reason, most of the anglers I see fishing in Chicago are fishing for carp. My guess is the abundance. My fiancee was with me when I took these pics. She told me to go get my fishing pole, and I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Caught at Dawn » Sep Sun 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Like ski said, I caught a carp in the fox a while back on a bass lure. The thread turned into a huge debate over invasive species and how we should just accept it and treat them like any other game fish. As you noted in your picture they obviously appear to be able to adapt so well they can harm other fish populations. Especially since they tend to destroy spawning sites of other fish.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Bow Fishing on the North Branch of the Chicago River :idea: :idea: :idea:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Sep Mon 19, 2016 8:08 am

Holy crap - I mean carp. Too bad you can't shoot them like we used to do in that old quarry in Lake County back in the day. THAT would be fun! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby EAS » Sep Mon 19, 2016 8:13 am

Bank two of them, thump your chest about how much of a dent you put in the invasive species! :wink:
EAS

Postby bobberwatcher » Sep Mon 19, 2016 11:29 pm

I remember hearing about a chef who was hired to create carp dishes for the taste of chicago a year or so ago. Im guessing that didnt go over very well. Yuck!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby FISHdank » Sep Tue 20, 2016 7:05 am

To bad geos in Washington, i think he would go from 6 to midnight on this post.
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Scipio24 » Sep Tue 20, 2016 7:43 am

Looks like a carp convention.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby skycap84 » Sep Tue 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Nice view, the fish king :D
skycap84

Postby Zenfish » Sep Wed 21, 2016 12:54 am

That's a lot of carp. I remember seeing a carp feeding where they threw popcorn into the water and these carp were on top of each other and all snaked up. It was freaky and unsettling.

As far as invasive species, I'm neither a lover or hater. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these coho, chinook, and steelhead salmon in LM an invasive species to these waters? I'm not an indigenous fish expert but from what I understand, these salmon were introduced here after the lake trout population crashed.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Wed 21, 2016 8:11 am

Whether they are invasive or not you could sign me up for the camp who dislike carp. I've released every one I've caught similar as I do with gamefish and I bought some carp flies so I may try targeting them with the 11wt sometime even. In general most people don't like something when it interferes with what they do. If they are a non-factor people tend to not care either way. But when you see large quantities of them stirring up the weedy slow water areas where you want to fish a river or they turn entire bays of weedy areas solid brown since they are so dense that is where my dislike comes in. If you fish Busse south pool in the very shallow areas west bank the carp are so dense and bottom so pounded by them its just brown water. My concern is they're density and they are so prolific they must have some impact on fish spawn beds I would think. Perhaps not to a great degree but there must be some impact.

Since I try and explore a lot and most all my fishing is rivers only (only lake I fish is busse since a 5min drive) I don't run into a lot of carp on areas that I like to fish that are high grade flowing waters, the higher rated the stream the less carp and you may see none. Once you have silt and weeds there will be carp of course (areas where pike may be).

Being invasive though gives me the excuse to call me a carp hater. But that has nothing to do with them having a sucker mouth. I love suckers and cats, there are fast shallow rocky areas on the kish where I may anchor in the current and watch the suckers working at times. I tried multiple times without success setting my bright yellow fuji camera on a tripod in the current and leaving it trying to get some video of them but camera just rolls with current.

Carp are just overly prolific and too impacting for my liking and I'm not afraid to admit. If there were 3 categories love, indifferent, or hater I'd put myself in the hater camp if I had to pick one.

I tend to be chatty though and I talk to everyone I see on the river so when I pass the bottom fisherman on the bank I always ask them if they are targeting cats or carp and how their luck is, and encourage them if they haven't had success yet. If there is anything I'm indifferent for its people's opinions on them and what kind of fishing they like to do. You could sign me up for liking the fact that there are also sorts of fisherman out there whether someone taking a siesta in a beat up old lawn chair on the side of the river waiting for his wallmart bought oversized spinning combo bell to ring or for the guy decked out in his simms gear with his hardy fly reel and sage rod. Equal respect for both of them.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coachkwj » Nov Tue 22, 2016 2:15 pm

J.W.-
What area of the river did you take those pix at?
Were they big or smaller ones.
Looks like some good hunting from the kayak.
Life is too short. Laugh more and definitely fish more!
coachkwj
Game Fish

Postby J.W. » Nov Thu 24, 2016 11:13 am

Coach, these pics were taken from the bridge at Diversey, near Leavitt. I was amazed at the size of them -- most were over 5 pounds, no B.S., some bigger than that. Have at them -- just don't put them back in the river, haha
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby coachkwj » Nov Fri 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks J. W.
Life is too short. Laugh more and definitely fish more!
coachkwj
Game Fish

Postby RonG » Nov Fri 25, 2016 9:44 pm

I'll make a mental note of that spot for when they eventually legalize hand grenades.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby skycap84 » Nov Fri 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Hand grenades for crappie and bullshitgills(the worst sport fish) cleaning :lol:
skycap84

Postby skycap84 » Nov Fri 25, 2016 11:19 pm

RonG wrote:I'll make a mental note of that spot for when they eventually legalize hand grenades.

hahah very funny :roll:
skycap84

Return to Chicago River