South Branch

The Northshore Channel, The Cal/Sag, the entire Chicago River system is loaded with fish... GAME FISH! Discover this great fisherie in Chicago's backyard.

South Branch

Postby Brett » Feb Thu 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Anyone have any experience/wisdom/advice on fishing the South Branch between Ashland and I90 or so, or the Sanitary and Ship Canal immediately west of there? Canal sounds like it might be kinda gross. Anyway I work in that area now wouldn't mind checking out some new water.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: South Branch

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:34 am

Ahhhh Bubbly Creek.. Have you read Upton Sinclair's novel 'The Jungle' yet?

Wish I could be more specific, but when boating I always turned around at the canal street bridge. I can you one thing, go light in winter because the crappies are always biting in that river. Summer go more bassy, there's tons of lrg mouth and spotted bass in there. And just about everything that swims in Lake Michigan makes into way into the river system.

I will mention that the electronic fish barriers, although needed, have had a severe negative impact on the fishing in the Chicago River, especially the South Branch. Main stem not affected as much, but spots on the south branch are dead now. But then again, we're not supposed to be fishing the Chicago River.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Brett » Feb Fri 09, 2018 9:56 am

Haha. I haven't read it but I'm aware of the content. That's why one of the surrounding neighborhoods is called the back of the yards. Figured when I google mapped and saw sanitary canal something was up. Nothing called sanitary is ever sanitary. I guess it wouldn't kill me to go a little more east, maybe pick up a gremlin in Chinatown on the way, take lsd home. Have an UL in the back seat come to think of it but just a naked perch rig tied on and no other tackle. I'll throw some back there when I get home I guess and try it out soon.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:30 am

Brett wrote:take lsd home

I used to take LSD at home. And outside. And here and there... :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:36 am

Rambler wrote:
Brett wrote:take lsd home

I used to take LSD at home. And outside. And here and there... :lol:

I've taken it northbound, southbound, and in directions I can't convey in human language.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:32 am

Brett wrote:Haha. I haven't read it but I'm aware of the content. That's why one of the surrounding neighborhoods is called the back of the yards. Figured when I google mapped and saw sanitary canal something was up. Nothing called sanitary is ever sanitary. I guess it wouldn't kill me to go a little more east, maybe pick up a gremlin in Chinatown on the way, take lsd home. Have an UL in the back seat come to think of it but just a naked perch rig tied on and no other tackle. I'll throw some back there when I get home I guess and try it out soon.

Don't feed those chinatown Gremlins after dark.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Chicago River