bird dog diaries

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

bird dog diaries

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 11:19 am

i know most of you fish junkies are shaking with anticipation for the upcoming season but allow me to interrupt your ice out skunking frustrations for just a moment! :moresarcasm:

my pup blue had quite the run during his second pheasant season. back in october, i started to wonder what he would be able to achieve in his sophomore year. his first season, just out of training, was very promising in terms of what he'd be capable of in his hunting career. as a first time bird dog owner, i held slight skepticism over whether or not he would retain what he had learned given how much time had passed over summer and how busy we kept him with exercising and just having fun around town. i wondered if the training sessions i put him through on my own during the off season was enough to keep him in the game. at the conclusion of season 2, i slept like a baby knowing i will never have to doubt this dog again when it comes to his killer instinct and ability to hunt.

6.jpg

some of my favorite hunts this year involved watching blue and his GSP pale work together at the club. having never met before, they sniffed butts for a minute and got right down to working the fields flawlessly. the second time they met, i could tell they were so pumped to see each other again and do what they were born to do.

the absolute highlight of the season was the opportunity to hunt the sacred wild pheasant in our great state of IL. during the off season and not without the endorsement from a great friend of mine, i was able to form a friendship with a landowner who manages wild pheasant on the farms he owns. with anticipation of the season opener one fine morning, i didn't sleep a wink knowing blue would have 5 guys hunting over him while chasing wild birds for the very first time. it was hilarious watching the fast flying hens fly off the roost and blue look at me with the look, "dad, why are we just letting them fly away!?". blue went on to flush and retrieve a handful of big, wild roosters that day including one for his old man. what i enjoyed even more was the compliments blue received from the die-hard upland guys that have hunted over many dogs in their career.

3.jpg

as the season wore on i decided to throw the dog a curve ball and take him rabbit hunting on a friends farm in galena, IL. he took to it right away; checking brush piles and pushing cottontails out of ditches and other hideouts. it was a bit of a learning curve for me as the handler but his retrieves were still rock solid and we'll certainly be making it a tradition.

5.jpg

4.jpg

wild pheasant came to a close by january but as long as it is cold enough, blue is ready to hunt. so it was more club work with some of the boys.

7.jpg

9.jpg

looking forward to many more seasons with this good boy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: bird dog diaries

Postby RonG » Mar Wed 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Did you guys really shoot those or did you just pick them up from under those windmills? :lol:

j/k

nice job
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Dog story :thumbup: :thumbup:
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Wed 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Dog tales. Great report and pics.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby grems » Mar Wed 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Blue sounds like an awesome beast, great report! Hunting over a good field dog is a special joy.

How is he as a house pet with the family? My wife ended up hating our pointing lab, she just never quit hunting, which meant eating anything and everything she could get at.
grems
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Mar Wed 04, 2020 3:45 pm

I’ve only hunted twice and for me I could take it or leave it but the best part of it was watching the dog work. It was amazing to see how she quartered back and forth, then somehow finding a bird and locking on it. Totally cool.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Thu 05, 2020 10:15 am

How is he as a house pet with the family?

definitely has his psycho bird dog moments; stealing shoes, eating socks, destroying pillows. his absolute favorite thing to do is steal stuff from people just for attention. usually pretty funny. my wife adores him. after all, she picked him out and insisted on the golden. i wanted a pointer breed at the time but honestly now i dont think ill ever have a bird dog that isnt a retriever breed.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Thu 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Good stuff! Sportsmen stuff.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Thu 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Sportsmen stuff

yes sir. im trying to offer any outdoor content i can even if its not fishing related. i know some guys appreciate the morning reads regardless of what it entails.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 05, 2020 8:20 pm

I heard first hand that those grizzled ole’ field veterans were mighty impressed. People who’ve never upland hunted with a great dog just don’t understand it. Very happy for you that Blue has worked out
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Mar Fri 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Dog tales. Great report and pics.

x2
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby cletedius » Mar Fri 06, 2020 1:38 pm

badger75 wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:Dog tales. Great report and pics.

x2

+1
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Mar Sun 08, 2020 9:02 pm

Good lookin pup!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Hunting