Pistol Safes

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

Pistol Safes

Postby brownbutterperch » Sep Mon 28, 2020 8:47 am

Hey folks, I'm looking to get a new pistol safe--preferably one of the electronic ones. Call me old-fashioned but I still think the mechanical ones are the way to go. I love my little Fort Knox and the simplex lock design. However, this one needs to be electronic because...that's what the wife wants. She's got a little 9mm that she wants to store away. Now, we go fishing, camping, and boating quite often and are looking for a nice option that she can tote along when we go. I found the Vaultek Lifepod on one of those "best of" lists (https://gununiversity.com/best-handgun-safes/--for reference)

Seriously... it looks pretty nice. But you know how some of those listers and reviewers are... Wondering if any real people NOT GETTING PAID to sell the product can testify to the efficacy of it.
brownbutterperch
Minnow

Re: Pistol Safes

Postby threeats407 » Sep Mon 28, 2020 10:15 am

Can't help with your question. I only have one tall one with regular locks. Reading reviews on anything are a mixed bag. It's gotten to the point that you can talk yourself out of buying a simple toothbrush if you read enough reviews. Anything electronic will have added issues over something mechanical but she must have a reason.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby brownbutterperch » Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:48 am

threeats407 wrote:Can't help with your question. I only have one tall one with regular locks. Reading reviews on anything are a mixed bag. It's gotten to the point that you can talk yourself out of buying a simple toothbrush if you read enough reviews. Anything electronic will have added issues over something mechanical but she must have a reason.

Heard ya on that. That's why I'm scoping for someone real who's actually got one. Like I said earlier, me personally I feel mechanical's the way to go. After working on mechanical and electrical systems, if something failed 9 times out of 10 it was the electrical side.
brownbutterperch
Minnow

Postby Lip_Yanker » Sep Tue 29, 2020 7:54 am

I'm of the same mind set with mechanical vs. electronic. I don't own a portable safe, my side arm is always on me, the nightstand when I sleep or if it has to be stowed, in the locked console of my vehicle.

Might be worth a look here if you haven't yet... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php

Good luck, be safe! 8)

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Sep Tue 29, 2020 10:46 am

brownbutterperch wrote:
threeats407 wrote:Can't help with your question. I only have one tall one with regular locks. Reading reviews on anything are a mixed bag. It's gotten to the point that you can talk yourself out of buying a simple toothbrush if you read enough reviews. Anything electronic will have added issues over something mechanical but she must have a reason.

Heard ya on that. That's why I'm scoping for someone real who's actually got one. Like I said earlier, me personally I feel mechanical's the way to go. After working on mechanical and electrical systems, if something failed 9 times out of 10 it was the electrical side.

All the electronic safes also use a mechanical key in case of electronic failure.

My EDC is normally sitting in its holster on the computer desk at all times, and if my daughters are here(even though they're educated in firearm safety), I will usually put it in the biometric safe in the livingroom, as it's less than a second for me to stick my finger on it, and it pops open. It 100% goes in there if I have guests and/or friends of my girls in the house. My other two handguns are in an electronic keypad lockbox in the bedroom on the nightstand, and the mechanical key is hidden in arm's reach of me in the bed in case of electronic failure. Rifle is in a rifle case locked next to the bed, also.

This is the one I have in the livingroom on the entertainment center for my EDC, if I need to lock it up. Works really well. Opens quick. Fits 1-2 handguns, depending on size.

https://www.amazon.com/RPNB-California- ... 081&sr=8-7

In the car, if I need to stow it, there's a keyed lockbox hidden inside the passenger seat that is cable-locked to the frame of the seat.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Hunting