Anyone else goose hunt?

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

Anyone else goose hunt?

Postby Caught at Dawn » Oct Sat 29, 2016 3:24 pm

I am shocked I haven't seen any threads this far into the waterfowl season. I haven't been hunting geese in a few years. I used to hunt with my dad and uncle but our first spot turned into a neighborhood and our other spot changed owners so we can't get in there anymore. Last time I was fishing at dawn on the fox it sounded like the fouth of July. They sure sound like they are doing good around me. Not shocked since I am so close to the river and I see huge flocks daily. Anyone else do any waterfowl hunting? Any suggestions on how to find places or meet people willing to give hunting permission on their land?
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Re: Anyone else goose hunt?

Postby catchafew » Oct Sat 29, 2016 9:28 pm

I used to goose hunt near Braidwood with an outfitters, everyone birded out the few times we went. Way too much time and money and I have few local hunting connections so it's just easier to use outfitters, granted it's not the most challenging.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Oct Mon 31, 2016 8:41 am

just go knock on some of those farmers doors on the edge of the west burbs. then your next step is to gather a nice spread of decoys. there are insane amounts of geese out there...
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Caught at Dawn » Oct Mon 31, 2016 7:59 pm

never thought of knocking on doors. We have a nice spread of decoys already, just need a spot.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Tue 01, 2016 8:19 am

yep you'd be surprised how many farmers would be willing to let you hunt. Id offer to do some field work for them too, that may up your chances.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Caught at Dawn » Nov Sat 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Posted a wanted add on Craigslist asking for permission to hunt on land for a trade of services. Actually got a reply and the guy wanted 3 grand for permission for the year. Am I the only broke person in this state that thinks paying that for permission is insane?
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby catchafew » Nov Sat 05, 2016 6:25 pm

catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Nov Sat 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Wisconsin has a program called Voluntary Public Access where the state pays farmers/landowners a stipend to open up their land for hunting, fishing etc. I spent some time on one of the plots in Walworth County, there were ducks, deer, and even a pond in the woods I still want to wet a line in. Maybe check that out.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Caught at Dawn » Nov Sat 05, 2016 6:54 pm

How does that work Brett? I am looking it up online and it sounds like it is usable as like public land. But no lottery system like Illinois. Does that mean like first come gets dibs or something?
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby Brett » Nov Sat 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Caught at Dawn wrote:How does that work Brett? I am looking it up online and it sounds like it is usable as like public land. But no lottery system like Illinois. Does that mean like first come gets dibs or something?

Just show up and do your thing. Only people I ever interacted with were locals who let me park in their driveway, and a guy who was out putting up a deer stand. Never had to deal with a crowd. The locations are marked with a VPA sign by the side of the road, and there are signs posted to let you know when you are approaching non VPA land.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 06, 2016 10:28 am

Seen quite of few guys on the des plaines. Some just camped in the reeds, no blind, tons of decoys. Man every year those decoys get harder for me to discern.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Mon 07, 2016 10:04 am

Actually got a reply and the guy wanted 3 grand for permission for the year. Am I the only broke person in this state that thinks paying that for permission is insane?

depends on what hes working with. If its a place you can go limit out at every weekend, then thats a great deal. Most goose hunters spend thousands a year on the sport regardless of where they are hunting.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Nov Mon 07, 2016 11:35 am

urbanHog312 wrote:Most goose hunters spend thousands a year on the sport regardless of where they are hunting.
It was very sobering the few times I went out and saw 100++ deeks put out by the guides each day for EACH pit, and the many full size trailers (hold two horses) to put them in (deeks left in the field in visual range of the road are high theft item and so they must be recovered each day) and not to mention the big truck/tires required to drive on muddy farm fields. We birded out quickly, granted not the most sporting thing as the guides really do 90% of the work, you just have to shoot straight.

Hopefully Urban Hog can shed some light about what's the minimum capital outlay (deeks, field fees, miles traveled) to get into decent goose hunting. I have some tree stands, blinds and tree climbers for deer hunting but the cost/time to get into goose hunting seemed really steep. Something you might want to consider is finding places to hunt 100+ miles from Chicago, less competition, less jerks/idiots in the field and perhaps cheaper granted motel/gas cost might offset that. I don't hunt much on public land in IL anymore but after all these years my buddies and I try to find spots at least 2 hours from Chicago, too many horror stories about ignorant people on public land near Chicago so we just gave up. If you can swing the money then go for it. It's gotten to the point I just go to my property up north and have millions of acres of federal/state/county land to hunt with little competition granted geese aren't common and the bucks aren't as big.

At least our hunting isn't like in parts of Europe yet where you have to stay at your 'assigned' tree while hunting large game due to lack of public hunting areas, population density and safety concerns. Same goes with fishing in parts of Europe, highly regulated and certain stretches of rivers have a lottery system and only a few may fish that stretch on their assigned day.

Brett, Thanks for sharing that info about VPA land, I'll have to check that out.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Caught at Dawn » Nov Mon 07, 2016 9:21 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:
Actually got a reply and the guy wanted 3 grand for permission for the year. Am I the only broke person in this state that thinks paying that for permission is insane?

depends on what hes working with. If its a place you can go limit out at every weekend, then thats a great deal. Most goose hunters spend thousands a year on the sport regardless of where they are hunting.

I hunt like I fish. I go out and enjoy the sport or experience. I enjoy the challenge. Some days you get skunked some day you do well. I think of hunt clubs the same as charters for fishing. Once a year it makes sense because they are fun. But if every time you went out the guide does it for you and there is a slim chance of failure it isn't as sweet as when you get one the hard way. I grew up hunting fields away from any major waterways so we might get one small group drop in a day if we were lucky. We would hunt wild pheasants and we would spend all day with 4 guys and get one. Our friend moved and we were forced to pheasant hunt at a hunt club from then on and it just ain't the same. Yeah you comes home with like 5 birds each but there was something about the challenge of doing with with wild birds as opposed to pen raises.

I was hoping to find something like that. Not prime real estate but something were we would have a chance at getting something. I think going up to Wisconsin to a public field is right up my alley. Free, ( I am broke) challenging, but enjoyable.

I guess a lot depends on your availability too. I am sure if I had the income to spend a few grand on a spot it might change my perspective.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby Brett » Nov Mon 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Hope you guys have fun up there. Don't forget the Spotted Cow....
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Tue 08, 2016 4:25 am

I went to hunt club for pheasants as a youngin. It kinda went like this, pay some hillbilly to ride his ATV out in the field with a cage full of birds. Dump the birds in the field for us, then us morons walked around out there looking to ambush them like charlie. Even at that age I knew how wrong and silly that was. Theres more sport at the Inland Trout openers imo.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Tue 08, 2016 10:37 am

It kinda went like this, pay some hillbilly to ride his ATV out in the field with a cage full of birds. Dump the birds in the field for us

that's exactly what i did over the weekend. there is zero challenge, but i went through a box of shells and had a blast.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Tue 08, 2016 11:04 am

urbanHog312 wrote:
It kinda went like this, pay some hillbilly to ride his ATV out in the field with a cage full of birds. Dump the birds in the field for us

that's exactly what i did over the weekend. there is zero challenge, but i went through a box of shells and had a blast.

4 guys lined up to shoot skeet, with a friendly wager. Now that's fun.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Hunting