A beautiful skunk

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

A beautiful skunk

Postby catchafew » Nov Mon 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I made a last minute decision to try to fill a deer tag late into firearm season and to hit up a new spot. Hunting at least for me doesn’t end well with impromptu decisions and poor scouting on public land but at least the weather was nice. I had some family engagements in the area so I had to make the most of the local woods.

Lakes are far from freezing over.

Day one.
otw_rd2.jpg

Million of acres of public land.
sign.jpg

First location. Only had one deer come in but it was too dark to make a shot.
first_loc.jpg

Pretty peaceful the first day when I had the woods to myself.
foot.jpg

2nd location. At the bottom of this hill is a crossroad, lots of critters use it but nothing but chickadees, crows and eagles to keep me company over the past few days. I was very happy to find a new range, I ranged it at 600 yards. Once again I pick the wrong season, tons of turkey activity but it's far from turkey season. I was happy though not to hear or see any coyote or wolf activity.
600yards.jpg

On the way home things warmed up and the snow was gone. Maybe I'll fill an IL tag this year.
fog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A beautiful skunk

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Tue 29, 2016 9:49 am

I love hunting with a fresh snowfall. Deer hunting up there isn't easy. Then again, it hasn't been easy this year in Illinois either.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby achotrod » Nov Tue 29, 2016 11:34 am

Some of my most peaceful moments in life were sitting in a snow covered forest waiting on that buck that never showed up but plenty of time to reflect on life.

Was this up in Northern MN? That warm up on Sunday caused crazy fog and forced them to cancel the snowmobile races in Duluth.
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Nov Tue 29, 2016 11:55 am

^^^ Forrest County WI.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cRaZy_BoY » Nov Tue 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Love the serenity pictures...must have be fun!
cRaZy_BoY
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Nov Wed 30, 2016 11:40 am

When I was looking at the pictures I kept thinking "must be the Nicolet" and yep...

I was cross country skiing in the Anvil Lakes area years ago. At the top of one particularly challenging hill I thought, "If I can fall right there it shouldn't be too bad". That's where I fell and I can still feel it. I think it contributed to at least one of my torn rotator cuffs. Thank god for cortisone shots. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Hunting