Recommendations for a decent and cheap trail camera?

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

Recommendations for a decent and cheap trail camera?

Postby catchafew » Sep Tue 12, 2017 12:25 pm

It’s my first time that I’m thinking of using a trail camera, I’d like to know what’s coming in, I have plenty of traffic but I can’t find any rubs or scrapes in the area. I have to be honest with you after reading a few posts about them getting stolen I’d rather go cheap and decent vs. the ‘best’ and most expensive that will disappear on public property. Any camera recommendations or features that are really nice to have that won’t spook game as much or alert people as much?

After reading the camera stolen posts so much I’m thinking I’m going to have to climb some really high tree and try to point the camera into my shooting lanes. I assume some trail cams have a base that will allow you to pivot/angle it in the right direction? I like the idea of having a cam on the ground if I can camouflage it as well enough and it will still works well so as to stay out of the line of site of people walking through.

Thanks

Update 9/18 - This was pulled from one spot this weekend on a Moultrie trail camera. Hopefully he won't show up when season starts, he tore up a ground blind a little which had nothing in it but it was repaired. Bears are curious critters. Bears can stink up a spot and ruin it for deer hunting, so I have several other spots set-up that to rotate from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Recommendations for a decent and cheap trail camera?

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Tue 12, 2017 1:27 pm

one thing to be careful of when setting them up high is how many false pictures youll get of moving branches and also with it swaying more in the wind.

I went cheap and decent for a cam that i was using to find out what was eating my koi out of my pond. I grabbed a Moultrie from Dicks. its a good bang for the buck device and takes good quality pictures.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Tue 12, 2017 1:49 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:one thing to be careful of when setting them up high is how many false pictures youll get of moving branches and also with it swaying more in the wind. Up

I went cheap and decent for a cam that i was using to find out what was eating my koi out of my pond. I grabbed a Moultrie from Dicks. its a good bang for the buck device and takes good quality pictures.

What was eating the koi?
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Tue 12, 2017 3:38 pm

a fatass cat and a fatass racoon.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Sep Mon 18, 2017 8:50 am

^^^ See OP update, I don't know how to add pictures now that photobucket is dead and I can't see how to add them outside the OP in wcf.

UH312, This on a Moultrie camera, it works pretty good so far. Thanks
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Mon 18, 2017 10:37 am

not too bad for your first pull! now you know you'll need to carry more than your bow for a visit to that stand
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Hunting