tagged out $2

The joy of the outdoors is not limited to just fishing. Talk about hunting and share stories about hunting trips.

tagged out $2

Postby urbanHog312 » Nov Mon 26, 2018 10:01 am

a 10 day game of chess ended with a couple big boys on the ground. cashing out my vacation days for the last week of the rut and into gun season proved to be a good move. the first 6 days of the vaca yielded a few close calls, a handful of big buck sightings and big numbers of deer. walking back to my truck one morning, i spotted a nice buck walk down a ravine near a stand i was saving for prime time. i made the decision that morning to exclusively hunt this location as long as the wind cooperated. for 3 days, the wind was perfect and i watched this buck stay bedded down all afternoon, only moving a few yards every couple hours, staying within range of the warm sun. on thursday, the wind changed directions and i moved stands to stay upwind of this buck. with twilight closing in, a doe and a fawn came screaming out of the woods with a big buck hot on their trail. the big 8 point chased the fawn nearly 100 yards past me before the fawn cut back and came hauling ass right for me, the 8 point still tearing up dirt behind her. the fawn made it to the woods but the buck couldnt help but wonder who was yelling MEP! MEP! MEP! from 20 ft above, in an effort to slow him down.

C7B7301D-1067-4330-86A2-3230F1170554.jpeg

after an intense track & drag (shoutout my hunting partner), the celebration was rich. the beer was cold. the deer i had been stalking for 3 days was hanging on the meat pole. it would be my first time sleeping in through opening morning of shotgun season.

fast forward to the afternoon, i return to the stand of which i watched a buck bed down for 3 days, shotgun in hand. it would only be an hour before out of the corner of my eye, i watch antlers pop up from the bedding area i glued my eyes to for so many days. first thought, my buck i had killed a day before was a rogue freak i had never seen before. great. second thought, tag out.

BB539B70-18CA-4B74-B791-87BB72DA99E5.jpeg

turns out this deer was spotted by some friends of ours hunting the property a week before. our theory is sometime in the week leading up to the gun season, this buck got his ass whooped and decided to bed down for a long time. a broken tine, a missing eyeball, and a dwindling physique all support our theory. looking back on pictures and age comparisons, we estimate the shotgun buck to be around 10-12 years old. an absolute legend who surely deserves a spot on my wall next to the rest of em.

C03EFB2D-E4B1-4B8D-BBFC-F0D376C2E7DD.jpeg

time to run the bird dog and get on some hardwater!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: tagged out $2

Postby Phil6 » Nov Mon 26, 2018 10:05 am

Nice work, filling up that freezer!
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Nov Mon 26, 2018 10:08 am

Wow. I don’t even hunt and I like the write up.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Nov Mon 26, 2018 10:37 am

Way to rack em up for the season.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Nov Mon 26, 2018 11:31 am

holy cats man, congratulations! What an epic hunt.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Nov Mon 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Awesome job with two nice bucks.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Nov Mon 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Outstanding! First buck is especially amazing.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Mon 26, 2018 6:35 pm

#didnotskunk :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Tue 27, 2018 12:40 am

Awesome write up Urb. Tenacity and patience paid off big. A 10 to 12 year old buck is truly a legend. Congrats bro
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Nov Tue 27, 2018 7:18 am

Bambicide!!! :D :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Dec Mon 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Awesome. That last pic, if it were black and white, would look like an old granddad pic passed on over a few generations :lol:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Tue 04, 2018 12:44 am

mike son wrote:Awesome. That last pic, if it were black and white, would look like an old granddad pic passed on over a few generations :lol:

Ala?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Dec Tue 04, 2018 9:49 am

That last pic, if it were black and white, would look like an old granddad pic passed on over a few generations

haha you're right. and thats exactly how ill want to be remembered.

nice assist on that pic, dave. thats exactly how they look. usually an old farmer standing around a pile of deer ranging from does, dawns, forkhorns, basket racks and maybe even a big one tossed in. back then they didnt give a hoot about antlers. but i do :lol:
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Tue 04, 2018 4:10 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:
That last pic, if it were black and white, would look like an old granddad pic passed on over a few generations

haha you're right. and thats exactly how ill want to be remembered.

nice assist on that pic, dave. thats exactly how they look. usually an old farmer standing around a pile of deer ranging from does, dawns, forkhorns, basket racks and maybe even a big one tossed in. back then they didnt give a hoot about antlers. but i do :lol:

No problem. Suitable for framing and quite the conversation pic, lol you’re right about what they would have had in a vintage photo. Most hunted for food back then, if it moved it was table fare
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Dec Tue 04, 2018 5:47 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:
mike son wrote:Awesome. That last pic, if it were black and white, would look like an old granddad pic passed on over a few generations :lol:

Ala?

Wow that's perfect haha
mike son
Fishing Czar

Return to Hunting